DVD Labeling - Is it even worth the effort?

vbimport

I am new to the forums here and have read through several of the posts on labeling. I had a nightmare of a problem happen to me recently that prompted me to research what I originally thought was a no brainer. I had transfered a hours and hours of old family 8mm film and video to DVD recently in an effort to (what I thought was) preserve them. Films we had in the family since the '40s put onto DVD. How cool, right? I am learning the hard way that DVD media is not all its cracked up to be and that depending on quality the dvd can last 30 years or 2 days. I also thought that labeling…if done without wrinkles, bubbles and centered properly would be A-OK…WRONG…I purchased the Memorex CD/DVD labeling kit. Notice I included DVD…as it says its for DVD’s as well? All 100 DVD’s I made…weeks of work…down the tubes. I even tested every DVD after making it to be sure they worked in several different make DVD players…I own a couple in different rooms. I tested on Phillips, TOshiba and SOny and they all worked great. Well apparently they stop working after few days on their very own. I emailed Memorex and gave them an ear full after finding clues on the internet that labeling was my problem and this was their response to me:

“The reason that you experienced issues when you labeled the DVD is that as the DVD plays in the player with the Label on it, the DVD expands from the heat generated. The label does not expand and thus it causes a warping of the DVD. Not a lot but it is enough to cause a failure in Playback. The only type of labeling that we recommend for a DVD is the Center Hub label only.”

Terry Schmidt
Technical Support
Memorex Products, Inc.
United States

So…here I am…scraping labels off of dvd’s in hope I can recover the DVD files so I can burn them fresh…or spend my days…again…playing back old movies to disk so I can burn them to dvd a new.

-Thank you for giving me a venue to vent my frustration. I fear that all these wonderful DVD’s will have to suffer ugly marker written labels rather than the nice professional looking labels they deserve.

BUy yourself an Epson R200 and some Inkjet Printable DVD’s and that’ll solve your problem.

Must admit that I’ve never had any problems with the DVD’s i’ve labelled, but then I use high quality discs so maybe that is what’s protecting them.

And warm water and a credit card is excellent for scraping labels off discs.

http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?t=88624 :slight_smile:

You should be able to remove the labels with hot water and/or some goo remover. Thanks for the report. I’m beginning to think we need a DVD labeling sticky thread.

On a side note, you also proved the fact that no one method of archiving is secure, least of all optical discs. I hope you keep the videos on a hard drive too, which is a fairly durable mode of storage.

I know I have had problems with stick on labels causing my dvd’s to no longer be read. And as soon as the labels were removed, the discs were awesome. So I no longer label them and just use a sharpie.

I have the exact same problem with labels causing disks not to work. But I noticed that it does not seem to affect RW disks. (At least for me) If the disks were unbalanced or warped, would it not affect a RW disk? The only difference is the dye that is used in the disk. Could a label affect the way that light is refracted off of the disk? Kind of like a piece of glass that has something behind it and then becomes a mirror? I only have label problems with write once disks.

NO cause the RW is a phase change technology where as the actual DVDR or +R is a full out burn that can not be changed. You also have to remember that the fault tolerance for and RW has to be higher because of the lower reflection rate. That is about the only thing I can think of as the possible answer to your quandary.

I learnt the hard way also… it can be a real pain to get off the sticky label.:sad:

I now use only white top discs with a Canon ip3000 printer… the discs now all look great and play perfect… :iagree:

I use Sharpies only - no labels whatsoever.