DVD Label & Sleeve Dimensions...?

Hi guys

Guys, do you know where I can find some info regarding the optimum dimensions for printing a standard DVD sleeve cover?

Also, do these measurements look correct for printing on a TY Watershield…Inner Diameter=23mm Outer Diameter=117mm?

For normal DVD covers (14 mm spine) I use a width of 273 mm and a height of 185 mm.

I don’t have any TY Watershields, so I cannot help you there except to propose that you measure the disc with a ruler.

Thank’s for the advice DrageMester:)

You won’t believe this, but I don’t have anything in my house to measure the disc, lol! I was reading in another thread that a member uses these dimensions on is TY’s…so I think they should be ok:)

Also, about paper. It seems that all of the options in my user manual are for Epson make paper and I can use paper with a weight of 64 to 90 g/m2. Now, Is that saying I can only use Epson paper within that weight, or can I use other make paper outside that weight…?

The paper I have is…

Amps Inkjet 210g/m2 Gloss Heavy A4 (Instant Dry)
Inkrite Matt Photo Paper 170g/m2 A4

What you can do is load the image in you s/w and then make the inner and outer fit it. As long as the image is the right size that is.

[quote=Gun;1948344]Also, about paper. It seems that all of the options in my user manual are for Epson make paper and I can use paper with a weight of 64 to 90 g/m2. Now, Is that saying I can only use Epson paper within that weight, or can I use other make paper outside that weight…?

The paper I have is…

Inkrite Matt Photo Paper 170g/m2 A4[/quote] Normal photocopy paper is 80 g/m^2 and photocopy paper suitable for duplex printing is 90 g/m^2 and any decent printer should be able to print on much heavier paper than that. I suggest you try and see how it works.

On my TYG02 discs I use 22mm inner and 119mm outer and they turn out looking
perfect each and everytime. :wink:

[QUOTE=Gun;1948344]Thank’s for the advice DrageMester:)

You won’t believe this, but I don’t have anything in my house to measure the disc, lol! I was reading in another thread that a member uses these dimensions on is TY’s…so I think they should be ok:)

Also, about paper. It seems that all of the options in my user manual are for Epson make paper and I can use paper with a weight of 64 to 90 g/m2. Now, Is that saying I can only use Epson paper within that weight, or can I use other make paper outside that weight…?

The paper I have is…

Inkrite Matt Photo Paper 170g/m2 A4[/QUOTE]

23mmx117mm is the correct printable area for Watershield discs.

I’m not sure you can make a proper sized cover insert on A4 paper, might need a longer stock. I use legal sized paper here, cause letter sized is too short with printer margins applied. If A4 is 297mm long, it might be OK.

Your average cover insert is 182mm (7-1/8") X 271mm (10-11/16") Those numbers can vary a bit according to the case itself.

Any decent inkjet paper is fine. I would avoid anything under 24# weight. I think that corresponds to 90 gm/m2. Heavy weight photo paper might not slide under the cover very well. Photo paper is over-kill, as most inserts are printed at around 150 DPI. HP has a 2-sided brochure glossy paper that’s ideal, but not cheap.

[quote=CDan;1948410]I’m not sure you can make a proper sized cover insert on A4 paper, might need a longer stock.[/quote] A normal DVD Cover (14 mm spine) fits comfortably on A4 paper (210x297 mm) with room to spare.

http://www.memorex.com/html/products_detail.php?section=2&CID=8&SID=25&PID=1035&FID=138&opento=8

http://www.memorex.com/html/products_detail.php?section=2&CID=7&SID=22&PID=678&FID=99&opento=7

these are what i use to store my dvd backups. the storage cases come with a copy of the memorex exPressit software for the case inserts. the case inserts are perforated on all sides, just tear them off after printing and they fit perfectly into any standard dvd case. of course i dont buy them from the memorex site, i use amazon or another site to get them much cheaper

[QUOTE=DrageMester;1948428]A normal DVD Cover (14 mm spine) fits comfortably on A4 paper (210x297 mm) with room to spare.[/QUOTE]

Ok, I’m dumb, lol!

I managed to print the DVD (looks fantastic:))…it’s the sleeve I’m struggling with now:confused:

I’m going to need a step by step dumbies guide here, lol! Right, I have the dl’d sleeve image on my EHD…what do I do now?

Bare with me guys…once I’ve done it once…I should be ok:)

Ps, I’d just like to say that I imported the image in to PSCS3 and adjusted the measurements to 273 mm and a height of 185 mm. I then zoomed the image to 100%, but it looks way to small to fit the case…I’m doing something wrong somewhere…:confused: Time to start again…

Sorted:)

I used a program called DVD-Cover Printmaster 1.2.

With measurements of 273 mm (W) and 184 mm (H). The dimensions were a preset option in the program and the width turned out around 5-6mm short. So next time I’ll have to figure out how to and if I can change these dimensions manually.

Also, the outer diameter of the TY Watershield came up a little short using a measurement of 117mm, maybe I’ll try and push it to 119-120mm next time.:slight_smile: The inner diameter was perfect.

All in all…a good result for my first attempt.

Thanks for the help.

Gun

Try Media Face 5 for DVD/CD case inserts get a trial here http://www.neato.com/Detail.aspx?SID=1
I have been using the later versions for a long time. Excellent!

[QUOTE=Gun;1949107]Sorted:)
Also, the outer diameter of the TY Watershield came up a little short using a measurement of 117mm, maybe I’ll try and push it to 119-120mm next time.:slight_smile: The inner diameter was perfect.
Gun[/QUOTE]
Don’t. The white area is not all printable. Only the clear coating is printable, and it stops at about 117mm. You have to hold the disc to the light just right to see it.

Yeah I noticed that the printable area stopped short of the edge. I was still short though, so I managed to squeeze another millimetre:)

These are the dimensions I’ve found to be the best…

TY Watershield - Inner Diameter=23mm Outer Diameter=118mm

DVD Cover (Standard 14mm Spine) 184x276mm

Well, I got there in the end guys:iagree:

Cheers

Gun

I use Acoustica CD DVD Label Maker with excellent results. There is a pre-fab template for my Canon MP830 and I adjusted the dimensions to 25mmX118mm for Taiyo Yuden CD-R Watershield. Occassionally there is some overspray with the outer edge but none with the inner ring. Never had a problem with them playing in either computer or home theater dvd player.

Just got a pack of the TY DVD-R 16X Watershields. Printed on one using the above dimensions and all was well. Will have to measure to see if they have identical dimensions of printable area as the CD-R Watershields.

When printing on TY DVD+R 8X (NOT Watershield), I use 25mmX119mm. I believe I used this dimension setting when printing on TY CD-R (NOT Watershield) as well.

All of this media has been the Hub Printable kind.

The following is a scan of an insert to the packaging I received from MediaSupply.com with a spindle of TY CD-R Watershield explaining the dimensions. A subsequent spindle from a different retailer (RIMA) did not incluce this info.

Have to tip the hat to MediaSupply.com for the extra effort.