DVD Identifier says Incompatible Medium w/TY DVD-R

vbimport

I just received my 100 cake box of Taiyo Yuden Premium Silver Thermal Lacquer 8X DVD-R from Supermediastore and, out of curiosity, I wanted to use DVD Identifier to see what it said. For the very first (top) disc of the cake box spindle DVD Identifier says:

ERROR : Unable To Initialize Disc In Time : Not ready - Logical unit not ready [02/04/01]

The correct Disc Identification tab, DVD-R/-RW, is selected and I have version 5.01 of DVD Identifier. When I click “Identify” again I get this message:

ERROR : Unable To Initialize Disc In Time : Not ready - Incompatible medium installed [02/03/00]

Could this be a problem with my MSI DVD RW drive? I was trying to update the firmware for it the other day and was unsuccessful.

Edit: For some reason, the second disc in the spindle identifies as TYG02 immediately…

I thought you were going to get verbatim instead of TY?

How old is your MSY drive and is it a laptop drive?

[QUOTE=cd pirate;1996394]I thought you were going to get verbatim instead of TY?[/QUOTE]

I did get a 50-pack of Verbatim inkjet printables but had received the TYs before and a friend decided to share them with me (she doesn’t mind hand-written labels and her penmanship is way better than mine). I burned a movie for her with a TY disc but before I wanted to see what DVD Identifier said (out of curiosity).

The MSI drive is in a tower and is about 5 years old. I tried to update the firmware using MSI’s Live Update Online but the install always failed. I’ll look at it again when I have more time.

It may be a slightly bad disc. The top discs are said to be either the best or the worst. I always run into the higher discs being the worst, but your mileage may vary.

Do any other of the top 5 or 10 discs fail to get recognized besides the topmost one?

Yeah, my standalone Pioneer burner hated it. All kinds of shrieking & vibrating noises came from the burner. I will try a disc from mid-pack or so.

Thanks for the help. It’s probably painfully obvious that I have very little experience with burning discs.

Oh, one more question: Is it common for discs in “cake box” spindles to not have any branding at all? I was a bit surprised to see that the TY Premium Silver discs didn’t even have a “Taiyo Yuden” name. I ask b/c I have an older 50-pack spindle of Verbatim & Fuji DVD-Rs and both of those have the brand names on the top of the discs.

[QUOTE=borat007;1996677]The MSI drive is in a tower and is about 5 years old. [/QUOTE]

You don’t have a newer drive at all? 5 years old is seriously far too old for even 8x media. You should get a new writer, they’re dirt cheap now.

[QUOTE=cd pirate;1996874]You don’t have a newer drive at all? 5 years old is seriously far too old for even 8x media. You should get a new writer, they’re dirt cheap now.[/QUOTE]

I just saw this post. Yes, I am ashamed to admit that my writer is 5 years old but it is rarely used (to-date) so I can’t justify paying for a new one at this point.