Dvd how to check to see if working ok

vbimport

dvd how to check to see if working ok

Do you mean the dvd drive, or a particular disc?

If you want to know if the dvd drive is working outside of the operating system, put in a bootable dvd disc, like an operating system disc or a recovery disc. Then reboot the computer and see if the drive will read the disc before starting the operating system that is on your hard drive. The bios of the computer will need to be set to boot from the optical drive first, not the hard drive first. Read the manual of your computer to find out how to get into the bios and set the boot order.

Once you’ve established that the drive is working normally and doesn’t have a physical problem, you can start Windows (or whatever operating system you are using) and test it there. Put a dvd with data in the drive. Go to My Computer, right click on the drive and hit Explore to examine the contents of the disc. If the contents show up, the drive is reading it ok.

dvd drive not working can’t find it in my computer or devices can’t read differant cd/dvd’s light comes on drive cd/dvd turns tray opens and closes

[QUOTE=msteele;2482096]dvd drive not working can’t find it in my computer or devices can’t read differant cd/dvd’s light comes on drive cd/dvd turns tray opens and closes[/QUOTE] Here try this and click fix this problem http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;en-us;314060&

[QUOTE=msteele;2482096]dvd drive not working can’t find it in my computer or devices can’t read differant cd/dvd’s light comes on drive cd/dvd turns tray opens and closes[/QUOTE]

Are you sure the data connector is firmly seated and connected between the drive and computer? Also did you make sure the data cable is working cause this replacement if the cable is bad is a relatively inexpensive fix if that is the problem. Also did you see if your Device manager sees the drive or when you bootup did it detect the drive on bootup?? If all fails hook the drive itself to known working data cable and computer and see if that computer sees and function correctly with the drive. And if that computer with all the correct hookups doesn’t see or operate the drive then it most likely is a junk drive at this point and your left with buying a replacement drive.