I’m making a machinima movie of a videogame, captured to lossless AVI, processed through VirtualDubMod, converted to DVD using ULead DVD MovieFactory, and finally burned to DVD+R or DVD+RW using Sonic RecordNow DX.
When I attempt to play the resulting DVD, it works fine in the PC, in an Xbox, and in an Xbox 360. However, attempting to play it in my PS2 results in an occasional skip. The video and audio will pause for a fraction of a second, then skip ahead to where it’s supposed to be and resume playing.
My first thought was that there was bad data on the disk at the point of the skip. But the PI/PO numbers for the DVD+RW are quite low. And reversing to just before the skip and playing results in the part that skipped playing perfectly…and getting another skip later on.
My next theory was that the bitrate was too high, so I’m getting a buffer overrun on the PS2, which presumably has a smaller buffer than a PC or Xbox. But the video has a bitrate of 7000kCBR with an audio stream of 224k MP2. 7224k should not be too fast for a player that runs 11000kCBR commercial movies (such as the Star Wars DVDs) without trouble.
So my current theory is that I am getting some kind of buffer overrun, and that there’s something about how MovieFactory encodes the VOB that causes players to have to buffer more data than they would for a commercially produced DVD. Too many or too few keyframes? Inefficient stream multiplexing? I’m puzzled.
Has anyone else any insight into what might be going on, any advice on what to try, or even just experienced the same problem?
In case it will help, details of my setup and process follow:[ul]
[li]Source: Three AVI clips encoded with HuffYUV (lossless), 720x480, 24bit, 29.97 fps, no interlace.
[/li][li]MovieFactory settings:[list][/li][li]VCD compliant unchecked
[/li][li]resample quality best
[/li][li]frame size 720x480
[/li][li]DVD-VR compliant unchecked
[/li][li]Video data rate = constant, 7000kbps
[/li][li]Audio format = MPEG audio
[/li][li]Audio data rate = 224kbps
[/li][li]MPEG type = MP2
[/li][li]Audio sample frequency = 48KHz
[/li][li]Audio channels = stereo
[/li][li]Output format = Create DVD Folders
[li]I imported the three AVIs, then joined them, then added fade-to-black at the join points, then made sure my settings were correct, and finally ran the conversion
[/li][li]After the conversion I used IfoEdit and DvdPatcher to fix the aspect ratio, making it 16:9. In DvdPatcher I patched the entire VOB.
[/li][li]I ran RecordNow DX in data mode, dragged the AUDIO and VIDEO folders in, and burned either the DVD+R or DVD+RW