DVD has only one long chapter

This may not be the right forum, but I’m losing my mind trying to get something done. The short question is, how do I take a DVD with one 36 minute chapter and cut that into smaller (determined by me) chapters?

I’ve found software that will create chapters, but they are all based upon set intervals (every 5 min, every 3 min, etc.). I need to vary the length of the chapters because the video is based upon variable vignettes of activity, each with its own title.

Please help!..and feel free to email me if necessary.

I converted this from an old VHS tape, where I could scan to the next title. Not so with the converted version. If I try to scan it takes me into the middle of different vignettes. Not cool.

Thanks for the assist…jb

Use either VobBlanker (guide on site) or DVD Remake Pro.

Regards

[quote=drjax;1918619]This may not be the right forum, but I’m losing my mind trying to get something done. The short question is, how do I take a DVD with one 36 minute chapter and cut that into smaller (determined by me) chapters?

I’ve found software that will create chapters, but they are all based upon set intervals (every 5 min, every 3 min, etc.). I need to vary the length of the chapters because the video is based upon variable vignettes of activity, each with its own title.

Please help!..and feel free to email me if necessary.

I converted this from an old VHS tape, where I could scan to the next title. Not so with the converted version. If I try to scan it takes me into the middle of different vignettes. Not cool.

Thanks for the assist…jb[/quote]

Select where you want to have a new chapter and right click to use DVD ReMake’s Split Here function. When done, select the Programs tab for the PGC (lower middle) and click on each row that doesn’t have a program (first column) and use Ctrl-Insert to add a program to each one. Now go the Title area and select the Title (probably Title 1) and hit C to add a chapter and hit return. Do it until the last number listed is selected and hit return to gave that last segment it’s chapter number. Save the results. He hopes to eventually automate this multi-step into a Insert Chapter command instead of have three steps for each new part.

VobBlanker and Remake are fine, but you will end up with chapters without menu to go to them. For those apps you have to create menu in other software and import in.
If you made DVD from VHS, the best way would be to get authoring software to make proper DVD with menus and chapters.
There are some simple once like Nero, TMPG DVD author and some more sophisticated which have lots of options like DVD Lab either Studio or Pro.

If you only have a couple of them to do, uLead DVD Movie Factory might work out for you. 21 day unlimited free trial.