DVD has loud cracks in audio (just 1 DVD player)

Hey guys,

I have a music DVD with some audio problems…

It has random loud cracks in the audio (for example 3 cracks in the first 10 seconds, and regularly throughout the whole DVD, maybe every 10-20 seconds).

It plays fine on my downstairs surround theatre DVD player, and also plays fine on a 2nd DVD player in another room through just normal TV speakers, however on my 3rd DVD player (which is my “main” surround theatre I like to use) the DVD has the loud cracks in the audio problem…

I copied the DVD with the same results (plays fine on 2 players, the 3rd has the loud cracks).
So it must be a tech problem with that particular DVD player / surround system ?

Does anybody know what it could be ?, and how I could fix it ?

Cheers

Could you check what sound tracks the DVD contains? For example, some DVDs have Dolby Digital and DTS sound tracks. Most DVD players will only decode Dolby Digital sound track, but when connected to a digital amplifier that supports DTS (Digital Theatre Sound) decoding, it will pass on the DTS bitstream to the amplifier to decode. Another possiblity is that the amplifier output is not set up right.

Assuming your using a digital amplifier (using coaxial or optical output), to start with, try choosing between the different outputs to see if any help, e.g. try choosing between PCM and Bit Stream.

If the audio output mode is fine, try selecting a different soundtrack on the affected player with this DVD. If there are two soundtracks and one soundtrack track plays fine, then it’s possibly a problem with the DVD’s DTS soundtrack. In this case, try another DVD with a DTS soundtrack and see if it gives a problem with its DTS soundtrack. If both DVDs give problems with only the DTS soundtrack, then it may be a problem with the amplifier itself decoding the soundtrack.

If you’re getting crackled sound no matter what DVD and soundtrack you play, try checking the connection between the amplifier and DVD player. If you’re using a digital coaxial connection between the the DVD player and amplifier, try repositioning the cable to make sure it is not picking up interference. For example, a portable phone base next to the cable can cause problems. Finally, try switching around this DVD player with another and connect it to the amplifier. If the sound still crackles, then it’s a problem with the amplifier or cable.

[QUOTE=Seán;2301069]Could you check what sound tracks the DVD contains? For example, some DVDs have Dolby Digital and DTS sound tracks. Most DVD players will only decode Dolby Digital sound track, but when connected to a digital amplifier that supports DTS (Digital Theatre Sound) decoding, it will pass on the DTS bitstream to the amplifier to decode. Another possiblity is that the amplifier output is not set up right.

Assuming your using a digital amplifier (using coaxial or optical output), to start with, try choosing between the different outputs to see if any help, e.g. try choosing between PCM and Bit Stream.

If the audio output mode is fine, try selecting a different soundtrack on the affected player with this DVD. If there are two soundtracks and one soundtrack track plays fine, then it’s possibly a problem with the DVD’s DTS soundtrack. In this case, try another DVD with a DTS soundtrack and see if it gives a problem with its DTS soundtrack. If both DVDs give problems with only the DTS soundtrack, then it may be a problem with the amplifier itself decoding the soundtrack.

If you’re getting crackled sound no matter what DVD and soundtrack you play, try checking the connection between the amplifier and DVD player. If you’re using a digital coaxial connection between the the DVD player and amplifier, try repositioning the cable to make sure it is not picking up interference. For example, a portable phone base next to the cable can cause problems. Finally, try switching around this DVD player with another and connect it to the amplifier. If the sound still crackles, then it’s a problem with the amplifier or cable.[/QUOTE]

Hey,
I opened the DVD in DVD Shrink so it would tell me the audio track.
It says it is “MPEG-1 2-ch English”.
I have no problems with any other DVD I have…
Does this tell you anything ?
PS - oh yeah I do have a digital cable connecting my DVD player to my surround theatre.

It’s happening with both digital and also analog cable.

I’ve re-arranged all external wires, jiggled everything possible eg. DVD player, amp etc, even saved the DVD to my hard drive and re-burned it to another DVD-R, the loud audio cracks are still there in the exact same spots !

Unfortunately I’m not fully sure exactly what’s wrong now. One thing I can confirm is that it’s not the amplifier, as generally a wrong digital output configuration can cause problems, but as you mention you also get the noise with analogue output, that rules out the amplifier settings.

The only other thing that comes to mind is damage in the audio track and how the DVD player goes about handling it. For example, if the DVD player interpolates the audio for damaged audio frames (like most CD players), this would result in the audio appearing to be OK, where a DVD player without this correction capability would result in the damaged frames being played, resulting in abrupt noise.

If your DVD player remote has a volume control, one last thing worth trying is reducing this volume level and turning up the volume on the amplifier. This is unlikely the issue, but I have one set-top player where when its own volume is put beyond the half-way point, it starts “clipping” when something loud comes on.

It says it is “MPEG-1 2-ch English”.

What’s your location? (Always a good thing to have in your profile)

check any thing electrical in the same room that that has only 2 prongs the same size and plug it in the other way around. Do this one at a time, it may cure your problem.:iagree: :bigsmile:

I saved the DVD to my HD, then transcoded the whole thing (4 hour process) to a new DVD file, burned it and it works without the audio cracks… So problem resolved as good as it needs to be…

Thanks everyone for your suggestions etc
Cheers

[QUOTE=bomber2007;2301482]I saved the DVD to my HD, then transcoded the whole thing (4 hour process) [B]to a new DVD file, [/B]burned it and it works without the audio cracks… So problem resolved as good as it needs to be…

Thanks everyone for your suggestions etc
Cheers[/QUOTE]
So is the audio now ac3 instead of the non-compliant for USA “MPEG-1 2-ch English”?

I just opened it in DVD Shrink and it says it is “MPEG-1 2ch- Unspecified”, the original was the same except it said “English” instead of “Unspecified”.

I really don’t know about this stuff, I saved the original to my hard drive, opened the files with Nero, and chose to make DVD-Video, I add the files and it transcoded and I burned the output files, they work fine…

PS - I’m in Australia not USA.