DVD Formatting Headache

I’ve joined what seems to be a host of computer users who are unable to complete the format of a DVD.

My computer is a Dell 1721 laptop. Occasionally a DVD format works, but most of the time I end up with “Windows was unable to complete the format”, or the format appears to work, but, when I try to record from my Panasonic Viera TV, I get a display on the DVD player “Unsupport”, which I take to mean that the disc is not formatted.

I’ve seen so much on the WEB about this kind of problem that its hard to know where to begin looking for an answer. Does anyone out there know of a simple solution?

What type of dvd disk are you trying to format? Is this a DVD-RAM disk, or one of the more common DVD +RW or DVD-RW? All of those disks are designed to be used more than once. Regular dvds that can only be burned once do not need to be formatted.

If this is a DVD RW disk (either + or -RW), get a free burning program called ImgBurn. www.imgburn.com Once you have it installed, the program will start up in EZ Mode. Click on Tools–>Drive–>Erase Disc–>Full. This will format the disk.

DVDRam may work using the process in ImgBurn as well. Many people use Nero InCD to format DVDRam.