DVD failure

I have a TDK DVDRW0404N and a Pioneer DVD-ROM. I have tried everything to get them working including uninstalling and completely removing them from my computer. I feel that I have changed the settings so much it’s a lost cause. The only one I have in my computer now is the DVDRW and it starts,but it won’t even read an installation disk. What is my next move? The computer runs good other then that.
My Syetem is :
Windows XP Professional Service pack 3
Shows no errors
Hardware shows TDK DVDRW0404N Working properly
IDE Secondary DMA if available
Urta DMA Mode 2
Auto detection
Current Transfer Mode Not Applicable
Thanks for the help

[QUOTE=j147852;2077748]I have a TDK DVDRW0404N and a Pioneer DVD-ROM. I have tried everything to get them working including uninstalling and completely removing them from my computer. I feel that I have changed the settings so much it’s a lost cause. The only one I have in my computer now is the DVDRW and it starts,but it won’t even read an installation disk. What is my next move? The computer runs good other then that.
My Syetem is :
Windows XP Professional Service pack 3
Shows no errors
Hardware shows TDK DVDRW0404N Working properly
IDE Secondary DMA if available
Urta DMA Mode 2
Auto detection
Current Transfer Mode Not Applicable
Thanks for the help[/QUOTE]

The should be DMA set don’t know why it say if available- I dont know your motherboard so I won’t know that part. How old is your system and hardware? Have you tried to clean the laser lens in each one of them? How are the MA and SL setup? Can you see the burner through explorer windows? Is your computer home built or factory?

Which drive is the problem drive, the TDK or the Pioneer? I’m guessing from your post, the TDK is the problem drive.

What won’t the drive read: DVDs or CD®s?

Does the problem drive work in Safe Mode?

Also, so we can see DMA settings a little more clearly, perhaps you can provide screenshots from your IDE channles in Device Manager.

BTW, welcome to the forum. :slight_smile:

System is 3 or yrs. old I think
Motherboard
CPU Type Intel Pentium 4, 1300 MHz (3.25 x 400)
Motherboard Name Unknown
Motherboard Chipset Intel Tehama i850(E)

Motherboard Properties
Manufacturer ASUSTeK Computer INC.
Product WMT-LX
Version REV 1.xx
Serial Number MB-1234567890

Storage            

Floppy Drive Floppy disk drive
Disk Drive Canon MP Memory Card USB Device
Disk Drive Disk drive
Disk Drive Maxtor 4W060H4 (60 GB, 5400 RPM, Ultra-ATA/100)
Optical Drive TDK DVDRW0404N

The Secondary IDE Channel Transfer Mode is DMA if available, but the current transfer mode is NOT APPLICABLE. I dont understand that

The dvd will read Roxio Creator Program Disk , but wont read the content disk so the lens should be ok
The device manager shows the the dvd is working properly
Not sure what the MA or SL is. The computer is factory but the dvd added and at one time it worked fine.

I have more information on the system if it will help

Given the age of the burner, if it still reads the odd disc, I’d just say it’s showing it’s age and getting temperamental.

I don’t think it has anything to do with this dvd being that it’s only one year old and I have two other that I have tiied. I have an Pioneer DVD-ROM and I have an cd-rom nether will read.

From what I’ve found, that’s a 4x burner, correct? That would indicate some age to me for a desktop drive.

Was it brand-new when you got it a year ago?

However, if no burner that you’re putting in is working correctly, perhaps change the IDE cable for a new one.