DVD Fab task 2 error 115 messages

HELP! I have a fully registered version of DVD Fab that has worked GREAT up until the last week or so. Now, whenever I try and burn a DVD to a DL disc OR try and burn dvd-dvd without putting it on the HD first, I get an error saying the finalization failed, task 2 error 115.

The only thing I can think of that changed is that I loaded a new codec pack into windows and it (or something else, just at the same time) caused my computer to freeze and I had to hard reset.

The codec pack was “Shark”, and it uninstalled any previous codec packages before installing.

I had to restore all of my HP help files/programs because the icons were gone.

Windows DVDmaker did not work right with the new codecs, and DVD Fab wasn’t working right either then.

I uninstalled the Shark codec package, re-installed K-Lite Full Codec package (which had been on before i put on Shark).

I uninstalled DVD Fab, then followed the tips here to make sure I removed ALL traces of it that are in the registry.

I re-installed the latest version of DVD Fab.

I read here about making sure to use the bookmark setting for DVD+R discs, so I turned that on. I also turned on SAO writing instead of Auto based on what I read here.

The first disc after doing all this worked…since then it has been the same problem again.

I have used 2 different types of Memorex DVD+R DL, and I have also used Sony DVD+R DL. Both do the same thing, task 2 error 115.

If I burn a DVD 5 disc onto a DVD+R (NOT DL) it seems to still work as long as I burn Full disc to the HD then burn it to disc. If I go disc to disc I get the same error.

The problem has happened with alot of different movies, so it’s not 1 in particular.

I have Windows Vista,my laptop is HP, and it was just custom ordered from HP in Jan 2008.

Please Help…

Several possible issues are suggested by your problem here, but let’s start with the easiest.

You seem to have done a thorough job of removing and re-installing DVDFab - did you take the same care uninstalling the ‘Shark’ codec package? Programs that remove codecs to install their own over them make me nervous. (especially ones called ‘Shark’, and more especially ones that lock up your system and remove non-related icons).

If you have a registry cleaning program, I would suggest running it, and seeing if there were any missed instances of the Shark utility listed as a problem by the cleaner.

And, if you have one, I would also suggest running a good spyware/virus program, just to make sure there are no issues there. (Avast! comes highly recommended).

Please let us know your results.

Welcome to the forum, by the way, too!

O’C
:slight_smile:

I think your problem is two fold.

1. To many codec additions/subtractions have screwed your systems registry- either try a system restore to before you messed things up, or reformat.
  2. Poor to marginal media often produces errors, but most times the disk will still play in a standalone player. How long the disk last is another question.

also try the latest version whuch is 5.2.2.0 as I had that problem with a past version, but anyway it was a false error on my part because I checked and the disc were closed and they played great and after getting the latest version it went away

[QUOTE=O’Canada;2181868]Several possible issues are suggested by your problem here, but let’s start with the easiest.

You seem to have done a thorough job of removing and re-installing DVDFab - did you take the same care uninstalling the ‘Shark’ codec package? Programs that remove codecs to install their own over them make me nervous. (especially ones called ‘Shark’, and more especially ones that lock up your system and remove non-related icons).

If you have a registry cleaning program, I would suggest running it, and seeing if there were any missed instances of the Shark utility listed as a problem by the cleaner.

And, if you have one, I would also suggest running a good spyware/virus program, just to make sure there are no issues there. (Avast! comes highly recommended).

Please let us know your results.

Welcome to the forum, by the way, too!

O’C
:)[/QUOTE]
Thanks for the tip and the welcome!

The codec package I was talking about (you can see it at http://shark007.net/vistacodecpackage.html) actually was highly recommended to me. Go figure.

I will scan the registry for more pieces of it.

I currently use fully registered and purchased versions of Norton Internet Security and Anti Virus, Spyware Doctor, and Advanced System Care. I run registry scans with Norton Utilities and Advanced System Care all the time.

Thanks for the help.

[QUOTE=Jimbo;2182007]also try the latest version whuch is 5.2.2.0 as I had that problem with a past version, but anyway it was a false error on my part because I checked and the disc were closed and they played great and after getting the latest version it went away[/QUOTE]
I have already updated to 5.2.2.0.

However, I also thought it might be a false error at first because when I pop it into a DVD player it works perfect.

But, if I put it back into my computer’s drive and use DVD Fab to try and burn a Full Disc copy of it back to my HD, it comes up with a read error and DVD Fab won’t load the disc.

[QUOTE=~Jethro~;2181874]I think your problem is two fold.

1. To many codec additions/subtractions have screwed your systems registry- either try a system restore to before you messed things up, or reformat.
  2. Poor to marginal media often produces errors, but most times the disk will still play in a standalone player. How long the disk last is another question.[/QUOTE]
    Is memorex a poor quality dvd?

I always liked using them, but if anyone has gripes or bad experiences with Memorex let me know.

I guess I should add that my DVD drive in my HP laptop is a (I hope I get this right 'cause I am doing it by memory) TSST ts-l632n.

It’s a lightscribe capable drive (how disappointing has THAT been, whew).

[quote=Bought4life;2182599]Is memorex a poor quality dvd?

I always liked using them, but if anyone has gripes or bad experiences with Memorex let me know.[/quote]
Yes myself I think Memorex is on lower scale of dvd media because the dye used will fade after a short while even though they will play fine but say for example 6 months down the road they are coasters thats why most people recommend TY’s or Verbatim blank media :iagree::iagree::iagree::iagree:

Well, I have tried EVERY possible suggestion that you all have given me (thank you, by the way), including reformatting my HD and starting from scratch. I even got the brand new 5.2.2.2 version they put out. Nothing has worked.

Am I just simply left out in the cold with DVD Fab now?

What a waste of money.

Try using IMGBURN as your burn engine in FAB instead of the VSO one, Imgburn is free works great. And can be done through DVDFAB. Burn your disks at 8x as it is a laptop burner. You have nothing to lose, let us know how it goes.

Edit: here is where you can find Imgburn http://club.cdfreaks.com/f153/

Bought4life
If your Drive/burner in your lappy is the slim type your are not alone, that type has issues with the finalization process with many software programs :frowning:
However you can use ImgBurn to close/finalize the disc’s…you can also use the pcouffin that is found in DVDFab, the out dated dvd decrypter is another program that can be used :wink:
The problem is not with DVDFab but with the drive/burner style itself and as stated you are just one of many(and they are not all Fab users) that as this problem.

Have a nice day :flower: if you need help with the work-around just ask :wink:

[QUOTE=~Jethro~;2187777]Try using IMGBURN as your burn engine in FAB instead of the VSO one, Imgburn is free works great. And can be done through DVDFAB. Burn your disks at 8x as it is a laptop burner. You have nothing to lose, let us know how it goes.

Edit: here is where you can find Imgburn http://club.cdfreaks.com/f153/[/QUOTE]
Thanks, I downloaded it today…I’ll give it a whirl and let you know.

[QUOTE=StormJumper;2187810]Bought4life
If your Drive/burner in your lappy is the slim type your are not alone, that type has issues with the finalization process with many software programs :frowning:
However you can use ImgBurn to close/finalize the disc’s…you can also use the pcouffin that is found in DVDFab, the out dated dvd decrypter is another program that can be used :wink:
The problem is not with DVDFab but with the drive/burner style itself and as stated you are just one of many(and they are not all Fab users) that as this problem.

Have a nice day :flower: if you need help with the work-around just ask ;)[/QUOTE]
Thank you for the responses…I’ll let you know how it goes. It does help to know it’s not just me. I actually consider myself to be somewhat computer savvy, but this had me banging my head up against the wall.

On a seperate note, what do you think of the K-Lite codec packs?

Well…so far so good with ImgBurn…NO errors during creation. I haven’t watched the videos yet, but they seem to be ok. It did fail to make a readable dvd when I used dvd-r, so I guess I HAVE to use dvd+r.

Still weird though. Used to work PERFECT with vso then all of a sudden … wham!

[quote=Bought4life;2192515]Well…so far so good with ImgBurn…NO errors during creation. I haven’t watched the videos yet, but they seem to be ok. It did fail to make a readable dvd when I used dvd-r, so I guess I HAVE to use dvd+r.

Still weird though. Used to work PERFECT with vso then all of a sudden … wham![/quote]
Glad ImgBurn is working for you :smiley: the issue with the -R type media you may want to make a setting change within ImgBurn for the write speed…
The nice thing about using ImgBurn you can select a different write speed for each media ID plus set a default write speed for each drive/burner :wink:

[QUOTE=StormJumper;2192530]Glad ImgBurn is working for you :smiley: the issue with the -R type media you may want to make a setting change within ImgBurn for the write speed…
The nice thing about using ImgBurn you can select a different write speed for each media ID plus set a default write speed for each drive/burner ;)[/QUOTE]

Thanks…

I just bought a 30 pk of dvd-r cheap from a place going out of business, I forgot how many compatability issues there are with them. My Toshiba keeps freezing up when I try to use them.

Have started getting error code 115 since 5.2.2.0 installed. Code isn’t quite a fake one as it depends on model of DVD player used. Cheap Asda player is happy to accept but Panasonic DVD player isn’t. If you run the “failed” disc through such as Nero then the end disc is a good one. Haven’t tried using ImgBurn in Fab yet but if that does work it suggests problem is with the VSO. Buy discs in spools of 100 and used same spool before and after installing 5.2.2.0 so can’t see make of disc being the cause.

[quote=Bought4life;2195307]Thanks…

I just bought a 30 pk of dvd-r cheap from a place going out of business, I forgot how many compatability issues there are with them. My Toshiba keeps freezing up when I try to use them.[/quote]
Yeah burning to fast on cheap media can result in skipping and /or freezing :eek:
anyway glad things are going ok :flower: