DVD Fab shuts down when reading dvd

Never had this problem before. when inserting a certain dvd, DVD Fab starts to read it, then DVD Fab shuts down. No error message, nothing, it just shuts down. Everything works fine with other DVD’s.
I then ripped it with DVD Decrypter with no problem. But when trying to burn it with DVD Fab “write data” DVD Fab shut down again.
Using DVD Fab 6.0.2.2

[QUOTE=poconojoe;2300266]Never had this problem before. when inserting a certain dvd, DVD Fab starts to read it, then DVD Fab shuts down. No error message, nothing, it just shuts down. Everything works fine with other DVD’s.
I then ripped it with DVD Decrypter with no problem. But when trying to burn it with DVD Fab “write data” DVD Fab shut down again.
Using DVD Fab 6.0.2.2[/QUOTE]

There are two things that are known to cause this issue…
1…it is an older flick which PathPlayer seems to have problems with, and PathPlayer needs to be “Disabled” in common settings-> PathPlayer

If you are doing a main movie or customize backup and the preview window is displayed

2…The Preview window has a known issue with some DVD structure and you need to disable the preview

also running Vista Home Premium is known to cause this issue which is a setting that needs to be changed

I am glad someone posted this, I was about to do it myself. I updated from 6.0.2.0 which was running fine to 6.0.2.2 and now every time it loads up, mid reading of the disc, it will shutdown. Roll back to 6.0.2.0 and it works fine, so something changed in the .2 update that’s causing this.

@StormJumper, I tried to disable pathplayer per your suggestion above but even starting the app without any disc in the drive causes it to shut down, so what to do now?

[QUOTE=Guardian666;2300981]I am glad someone posted this, I was about to do it myself. I updated from 6.0.2.0 which was running fine to 6.0.2.2 and now every time it loads up, mid reading of the disc, it will shutdown. Roll back to 6.0.2.0 and it works fine, so something changed in the .2 update that’s causing this.

@StormJumper, I tried to disable pathplayer per your suggestion above but even starting the app without any disc in the drive causes it to shut down, so what to do now?[/QUOTE]

Are you running Vista Home Premium ?

No I am not. I am running Win7 on one machine and XP SP3 on another and Vista Ultimate on another, I have tried on all three, same result. But my primary for this is generally the Win7 machine.

[QUOTE=Guardian666;2301014]No I am not. I am running Win7 on one machine and XP SP3 on another and Vista Ultimate on another, I have tried on all three, same result. But my primary for this is generally the Win7 machine.[/QUOTE]

I don’t have Windows 7 yet so can’t give any advise with that operating system, I know with Vista home prem some users have to make a change on the compatibility tab to stop DVDFab from shutting down when there is no disc in the drive, also not sure but the I/O setting in DVDFab has been known to cause this issue too.
But if you are having this problem on all three operating system it could be related to your firewall, I know some users had this problem with McAfee :frowning:

Well that’s a bummer. Why would the firewall matter? DVDFab should work without an internet connection, no? Here is what blows my mind is that rolling back to the 6.0.2.0 works just fine on the same machines with same configurations but not with 6.0.2.2 so what could have changed so much that would make it suddenly incompatible? It seems too bizarre, like jekyl and hyde, you know what I mean? :slight_smile: Well this is a major buzz kill but one thing, Win7 is basically the Vista architecture, but much much better and faster and lighter, I have been dev testing it for nearly 2 years since the pre-alpha and its awesome. You’ll like it.

Hey Guardian666,

Yeah, I agree…sometimes this stuff is like voodoo.

It sounds like the OP has this issue with just 1 disc…? title.
You, on the other hand are apparently having problems with multiple discs (I’m guessing here) and on all 3 systems, eh?..just doesn’t make sense.

I’m running late, but I’d be glad to try this with Windows 7 RC.
I haven’t installed 6.0.2.2 on Windows 7 RC yet, but I will right now.
I have been using 6.0.2.2 on my main rig…XP Pro, SP3 without any problems.

If you get a chance, post back with a couple of problem titles and I’ll give it a shot later tonight or tomorrow. I probably don’t need the titles, but as long as I’m gonna try…

Be back later tonight,

maineman my friend, as always its good to have you on board and glad to get your help on this. That was what seemed odd to me as well, I mean without even a title on it, it shuts down. I even thought a possibility that it has somehow developed a dislike for the hardware but on short notice I can’t exactly help that and tear out my drive and replace it to see if that’s what’s causing it.

Some of the titles that are causing it, in addition to it crashing when there is nothing in there, are (and please no laughing on the titles):

Highlander: Finale
The Curious Case of Benjamin Button
Notorious
Highlander: Unholy Alliance
Highlander: Counterfeit
Romeo + Juliet (Special Edition)

thanks for looking into this and in the meantime I am going to roll it back to 6.0.2.0 on one of the machines so I can continue and hopefully we can figure out what went wrong in 6.0.2.2 just for the sake of curiosity and maybe helping fengtao fix it.

OK, I disabled pathplayer and that did the trick!
The movies that I was trying to back up were indeed older as “StormJumper” mentioned.
Thanks for the tip StormJumper!

[QUOTE=poconojoe;2301364]OK, I disabled pathplayer and that did the trick!
The movies that I was trying to back up were indeed older as “StormJumper” mentioned.
Thanks for the tip StormJumper![/QUOTE]

:wink:

A long time ago based on SJ’s recommendation and my own experience, I turned off PP and only turned it on selectively (like the issue with a movie in another thread) but turn it back off unless something calls for it. SJ and MM are usually right on the money which is why this has been so bizarre so far. I have rolled back to 6.0.2.0 for now and going to chalk it up to a glitch until we know more. It could be a combination of things happening coincidentally at the same time which makes it harder to debug, not sure.

[QUOTE=Guardian666;2301455]A long time ago based on SJ’s recommendation and my own experience, I turned off PP and only turned it on selectively (like the issue with a movie in another thread) but turn it back off unless something calls for it. SJ and MM are usually right on the money which is why this has been so bizarre so far. I have rolled back to 6.0.2.0 for now and going to chalk it up to a glitch until we know more. It could be a combination of things happening coincidentally at the same time which makes it harder to debug, not sure.[/QUOTE]

I know this may sound like a long shot but have you tried downloading a new install package ?, it wouldn’t be the first time that a installer got corrupted during the download process :frowning:

I could do that. Will do that, no problem but one question. Wouldn’t a corrupted download package just not install? I wouldnt’ install without error and just the application wouldn’t run, no? Just wondering.

Hey Guardian,

Sorry to be so long getting back to you. Work’s been a bear and the honey-do-list at home is killing me (we’re trying to sell our home)

I have a couple of the movies you listed…snicker, snicker…errh…no that wasn’t me laughing…:stuck_out_tongue:

Anyway, this is [I]extremely[/I] [I]bizarre[/I]. I updated to 6.0.2.2 on win 7 and ran Benjamen Button and Notorious.
In both cases a few minutes into the rip, Fab just crashed and disappeared from the screen. No error, no warning, just closed.

I tried both again, changed absolutely nothing.
Both discs ripped just fine…no problems at all.
Go figure…

I used all my usual default settings…including [B]Always enable PathPlayer [/B].

It was pretty late so I didn’t try much else.
I suppose I could take a look at Win 7 dump file. I didn’t receive any error reports though. I have it turned off in XP Pro, but it still captures any errors.
I just don’t receive the annoying error reporting crap.
I assume error reporting works the same and is enabled as default in Windows 7, but I don’t really know that for sure.

I can’t ever remember this behavior with Fab.
I guess you can take solace knowing it’s not just you.
I know my little experiment doesn’t count for much, but one thing’s for sure,
you’re not alone with this…version 6.0.2.2 has some issues with Win 7.

Oh yeah, re: Notorious…I used Hitchcock’s 1946 flick.
Were you talking Notorious (Big), 2009?..more snickering…:stuck_out_tongue:
Sorry, I couldn’t help myself

Well my friend, no apology necessary, I know life gets in the way and I appreciate you taking the time to help me out.

Not an excuse, I am man enough to own up to any bad taste in movies but I am not the only one in my house :wink:

I DO take solace in the fact that I am not the only one, because I was beginning to think that after 20 years of doing things like this, suddenly I am making rookie mistakes.

It would be nice to know what’s causing it, as a programmer, as a curious person and simply as a user of Fab because its a great program for the most part but prone to unexpected issues like this and often we fall back on the old “do this and that” and maybe overlook something more serious.

I am sure it will be found, it will be fixed and I already put a bandaid on my problem by rolling back to 6.0.2.0 but it bugs me not knowing what’s wrong, that’s just me and gets me in trouble because people think I am being ungrateful for the help or whatever.

I can’t find anything in the event log for the reason it shuts down, it doesn’t issue any crash reports (as you said too), windows shows no error (as you said too) and its just weird that it would be so unpredictable especially that I haven’t changed any settings, not that I could even if I wanted, it won’t stay started long enough.

Anyway, all that being said, thank you for taking a look, I appreciate your help and StormJumper’s as well and its always good to know I can count on friends to humor me and lend me a hand. Good luck with your house and take care of yourself.

[QUOTE=Guardian666;2301839]…I DO take solace in the fact that I am not the only one, because I was beginning to think that after 20 years of doing things like this, suddenly I am making rookie mistakes…

It would be nice to know what’s causing it, as a programmer, as a curious person and simply as a user of Fab because its a great program for the most part but prone to unexpected issues like this and often we fall back on the old “do this and that” and maybe overlook something more serious…
[/QUOTE]
Well said my friend, very well said.

One thing’s for sure, you don’t have a monopoly on bad taste.
Take at look at some of the stuff in my collection and you’ll feel better right off…:bigsmile:

Take care and catch you around…

Yeah, I have a few things in my collection that gets either a laugh or a raised eyebrow or a “oh my god, tell me you didn’t actually see that movie” from people and I say to them, WHAT, I have 1400+ movies and you give me crap for less than 40 of them that are not award winners? :smiley: ok maybe more than 40 but whose counting :wink:

Now this may sound stupid and forgive me for it, I am exhausted with work and everything, where is your collection posted? We might have more in common than you think. I have been thinking about programming a db interface to post my collection on my blog or website as I update my in-house db but just haven’t gotten around to it. After I got around 300+ movies, I HAD to catalog them or I would just not know which case they were in.

My friends tell me, who needs Netflix when we can get most movies from you and rent the rest when it happens you don’t have it. Most any well known title I have, but some more obscure ones are based on my own taste and those are the ones that get laughs. I have a PDF file I update every couple of months and they download it and that way they know what I got so they can ask for them, I let them take it and watch it, if it gets ruined, just reburn them, no biggie.

[QUOTE=Guardian666;2302070]
Now this may sound stupid and forgive me for it, I am exhausted with work and everything, where is your collection posted? We might have more in common than you think. I have been thinking about programming a db interface to post my collection on my blog or website as I update my in-house db but just haven’t gotten around to it. After I got around 300+ movies, I HAD to catalog them or I would just not know which case they were in.
[/QUOTE]
Hahaha…not only is my collection not posted, it is not even close to being catalogued since I’m not even sure what I’ve got!
Most of my collection is sitting in 1 of the 2 PODS (16X8X8 long-haul cargo containers) currently taking up space on my driveway. I probably have about a 100-150 sitting on shelves near the TV. Added to the chaos, I have both children at home…a 23 yo gainfully employed and paying off his share of his undergrad loans and a 21 yo hard at work with a summer job about to start her 4th year of pre-med and likewise trying to save some $.
They [I]“borrow” [/I] dvds all the time and sometimes I get them back.

Right now, I’m taking my favorites and compiling on 4 - 1 TB hdds and planning on streaming when we build our retirement home.
Thing is, we want to sell this house first…last thing I need at 60 yo is a new mortgage. Hell, with the kids’ college expenses, I’ve already got 3 mortgages as it is now…:eek:…:p.

Seriously, we’re doing pretty well, since our current house is almost paid off and the college loans are finally looking managable.
Still, last thing I need is a big, new mortgage.

Now where did I put that classic…“Plan 9 From Outer Space”?..:bigsmile:
The really embarrassing thing is…I actually like it.

hi,
I am having the same issue with Fab[latest version] shuting down about 30 seconds after analysing disk.

I am running XP 3 and yes it is an older movie.
[the borrowers]…
is there any fix for this other than disable path player?:sad: