DVD Fab problem

vbimport

I have full DVD’s that were put on my computer. Both Audio and Video folders. Whenever I run dvdfab it does makes them into the .avi file however it keeps going and does it again. Therefore my movie will start and end and then start and end again before the writing stops. After it is written the first time the bar appears to be full but it will not shut the program down until it has been completed a second time. I’m not sure whats wrong but I’m sure it’s something simple. Not too tech savy so keep them for us dumb-dumbs :slight_smile:
thanks!

Hello, and welcome to the forum.

From the problem you are describing, it sounds more like a problem with VideoFab, rather than DVDFab, as you indicated in your question.

Can you please confirm or deny this before we proceed?

O’C

:slight_smile:

[quote=Worthless Hero;2181918]I have full DVD’s that were put on my computer. Both Audio and Video folders. Whenever I run dvdfab it does makes them into the .avi file however it keeps going and does it again. Therefore my movie will start and end and then start and end again before the writing stops. After it is written the first time the bar appears to be full but it will not shut the program down until it has been completed a second time. I’m not sure whats wrong but I’m sure it’s something simple. Not too tech savy so keep them for us dumb-dumbs :slight_smile:
thanks![/quote]
Uncheck Verify and see what happens.:wink:

The program I am using is definitely DVDFab 5, the latest version. I am trying again in coveting a movie.

Just to clarify, I am trying to do DVD to Mobile (Generic) for a .avi output.

I’m not sure what the “Verify” button is lol so yeah.

[QUOTE=Worthless Hero;2182231]The program I am using is definitely DVDFab 5, the latest version. I am trying again in coveting a movie.

Just to clarify, I am trying to do DVD to Mobile (Generic) for a .avi output.

I’m not sure what the “Verify” button is lol so yeah.[/QUOTE]

OK… so far, so good.

I think Alan1476 is absolutely right… I never use that option, so I tend to forget about it…

When you first start DVDFab, before you do anything else, click on the white check-mark in the green circle at the top of the program window. This will take you to the common settings page, which will overlay your opening DVDFab screen.

Down the left-hand side of the common settings page are the user-configurable options. Go to the DVD, Write option and click on that. A list of things you can change will now be in the window, with a small box beside each one.

Make sure that the one that says ‘Verify disc after burning’ does NOT have a check mark in the box(if it does, position your cursor over it and click it to remove that check mark), then click OK at the bottom of the screen.

Please try another disc (or the same one as before) and let us know if it still seems to be writing twice.

O’C

Well when I said I wasn’t THAT tech savvy I didn’t mean I didn’t know how to check a box haha :slight_smile:

anyway, to the issue at hand, unfortunately the box was already unchecked. Just for kicks and giggles though I am running the program with it checked. Maybe that’ll do haha.

Hi there Worthless Hero,

Well, if it’s not the [I]verify[/I] function, perhaps you are inadvertantly selecting more than one file/profile to convert.
You said you’re using Generic > .avi output.
Which profile(s) are you selecting?

Take a look at the screenshot below. This is where you would check/configure your conversion settings and click start to actually start the conversion.
Are there multiple titles/profiles populated in the task list…or only one?
Fab Mobile has the capability to [I]batch[/I] conversions so you can run multiple conversions without having to “re-load” each time.

Note in the screenshot…I have both an Ipod conversion and a generic .avi conversion in the task list. Both of these will run after clicking start.

Hope this makes sense.

Yeah I understand what your saying, except I do only have one movie/output in this area at a time.

I may have just figured it out actually. A little voice in my head just kinda shouted it at me. As I previously stated, I have DVD’s copied onto my computer which give me Audio_ts and Video_ts subfolders under the main movie folder. What I have been doing is the conversion with the main folder selected. Now I am going to try to just have Video_Ts selected which will hopefully solve it because the two folders would explain why I was getting two copies… maybe.
I’m going to let it run overnight and see what happens tomorrow.

[QUOTE=Worthless Hero;2182393]Yeah I understand what your saying, except I do only have one movie/output in this area at a time.

I may have just figured it out actually. A little voice in my head just kinda shouted it at me. As I previously stated, I have DVD’s copied onto my computer which give me Audio_ts and Video_ts subfolders under the main movie folder. What I have been doing is the conversion with the main folder selected. Now I am going to try to just have Video_Ts selected which will hopefully solve it because the two folders would explain why I was getting two copies… maybe.
I’m going to let it run overnight and see what happens tomorrow.[/QUOTE]

Unfortunately, that won’t provide the answer you’re looking for.

Back in the old days (when DVDs were first introduced), the video and audio files were kept separately on the DVD. Then, an update to the spec allowed for multiplexing the audio & video together in the same file (what we currently recognise as a .VOB file).

To maintain backwards compatibility with older versions of the spec (and older, still functioning machines), the audio folder is included on each DVD, even though it’s empty.

Your problem lies elsewhere, and at the moment I’m at a loss to think of what it is. Let me scratch my head for a while…

Anyone reading this know if this program allows for a multi-pass conversion to .AVI?

O’C

:confused:

You were right, I let it go all night and after a total of 9 hours converting the program did not shut down. It said it would take 3 for the first convert so I’m assuming it took 3 for the second. Once again it copied the movie only twice.

[QUOTE=Worthless Hero;2182589]You were right, I let it go all night and after a total of 9 hours converting the program did not shut down. It said it would take 3 for the first convert so I’m assuming it took 3 for the second. Once again it copied the movie only twice.[/QUOTE]

OK… it may prove both useful and helpful if you were to advise your hardware (CPU, Type of DVD drive, etc. and also your O/S - if Windows, what Service Pack you’re on - and which version of DVDFab and which burn engine you are using for this).

Also. and this is probably a silly question, have you actually verified that the movie wrote twice, or are you reporting what DVDFab seemed to be doing?

When DVDFab is writing a file (or disc), in the same block as the progress bar usually is noted the current operation (reading, writing, verifying, etc.). Do you recall what was noted on the second write of the two you’re experiencing?

Please advise.

O’C

:eek:

I’m on a Dell XPS with Windows Vista 32bit.
The DVD’s were burned onto my computer a couple of years back. I have been able to get 2 to transfer to .avi successfully however this has only been when I uninstall and reinstall DVDFab.

There is no change from the burning of the first to the second. The program just continues, nothing in the log changes and it does not shut itself down. I have to cancel it in the morning and when I do and play the .avi it has the movie two times in the one file.

Edit: By on my computer for a few years I mean they were on my previous computer and transferred over.

[QUOTE=Worthless Hero;2182388]Well when I said I wasn’t THAT tech savvy I didn’t mean I didn’t know how to check a box haha :slight_smile:

anyway, to the issue at hand, unfortunately the box was already unchecked. Just for kicks and giggles though I am running the program with it checked. Maybe that’ll do haha.[/QUOTE]

theres problems with it i cant make a mp3 audeo only either

[QUOTE=Worthless Hero;2182852]I’m on a Dell XPS with Windows Vista 32bit.
The DVD’s were burned onto my computer a couple of years back. I have been able to get 2 to transfer to .avi successfully however this has only been when I uninstall and reinstall DVDFab.

There is no change from the burning of the first to the second. The program just continues, nothing in the log changes and it does not shut itself down. I have to cancel it in the morning and when I do and play the .avi it has the movie two times in the one file.[/QUOTE]

Hmmmm… Curiouser and curiouser.

I don’t imagine it makes much difference at this point what you used to put the movies on your HD in the first place…

From your comments, it seems you’ve just tried movies already on your HD… have you tried ripping a DVD (not currently on your HD) with DVDFab, and then tried the conversion?

I’d be interested in the results of that attempt.
Please try it and advise.

And yet another thought… when you were transferring the movies to your current computer, I don’t suppose the new one hicuped, or sneezed, or blinked or something and wrote each of the (pre-conversion) movies twice in the same file, eh? (remember, I’m Canadian)

O’C

haha

Actually I was thinking the same exact thing with the hard drive and DVD’s. However I did leave my DVD case at school… go figure. So I was able to borrow a friends and tonight I am trying it. I will update you in the morning.

[QUOTE=Worthless Hero;2183723]haha

Actually I was thinking the same exact thing with the hard drive and DVD’s. However I did leave my DVD case at school… go figure. So I was able to borrow a friends and tonight I am trying it. I will update you in the morning.[/QUOTE]

maybe posting your dvdfab logs would also help ?

Well the DVD worked, however now the sound is half what it was. Anyway to fix that?
I’ll post up the old logs later. Running out now