Dvd Fab Platinum No Media Detected in Drive

[QUOTE=maineman;2294776]Let me try to explain…again.

Brand names generally tell you very little about any particular media.
The reason most of us recommend Taiyo Yuden or Verbatim media is that these are the most universally compatible and best overall quality media…period.

Sure, you can have good burns with Maxell…hopefully it was TY or MCC, but it may have been any one of the CMC, Prodisc, Ritek, Ricoh, Philips, etc., variety…[B]all of which [/B] can be found under the Maxell brand name!

The point is…it’s a crap shoot.

And yes, you can get good burns on crap too…again, a crap shoot.
And you may or may not find that your “good” burns aren’t so good a few months down the road.
Crap shoot…have I said that already?

I agree, Sony tends to make pretty good quality media, but typically, it is not as universally compatible as Verbatim or TY.

Burn problems can be caused by any number of factors. The fact remains, media (poor/marginal quality media or poorly compatible media) is the[B] most frequent cause [/B]of burn problems and NOT software.

[B]If users would post more specific problems, they would get fewer “generic” responses.[/B]
The devil’s in the details.[/QUOTE]

[B]AMEN[/B]

OC

:iagree:

[QUOTE=OCanada;2294807][B]AMEN[/B]

OC

:iagree:[/QUOTE]
I have tried every brand, including TY-r and Verbatum/all the rest in every format that is offered. Whay even with TY -R execellent copies will they not work on all Disc Players. I travel and find that many of my recording wil not play on lots of players. How doe the retal type disks work on all players?

[QUOTE=dkickler;2294811]I have tried every brand, including TY-r and Verbatum/all the rest in every format that is offered. Whay even with TY -R execellent copies will they not work on all Disc Players. I travel and find that many of my recording wil not play on lots of players. How doe the retal type disks work on all players?[/QUOTE]
Recommend that you use +R media and bitset to DVD-ROM. This will afford you greater overall compatibility.
If I were to pick a specific “best” MID…and there really is no such thing, it’s YUDEN000 T02.

Bitset this MID to DVD-ROM and assuming a decent, fairly modern burner, burn it at 8X (although 4X probably is a reasonable speed as well)
I think this is your best shot.

[QUOTE=dkickler;2294811]I have tried every brand, including TY-r and Verbatum/all the rest in every format that is offered. Whay even with TY -R execellent copies will they not work on all Disc Players. I travel and find that many of my recording wil not play on lots of players. How doe the retal type disks work on all players?[/QUOTE]

Unless you are an electronics expert, and can verify the operating condition of all DVD players you encounter, no matter where, there’s a very good reason “store-bought” professionally manufactured pre-recorded DVDs work and “computer-burned blanks” don’t.

It’s all in the manufacturing process - pre-records are properly laid out, the reflective spots are precise and consistently arranged (and consistently reflective), as are the sectors and tracks - in short, a DVD player would have to be literally blind to not be able to read one of those.

The "computer-burned " variety, on the other hand, have a much more haphazard (in comparison) arrangement on the disc, the reflective areas are less-well defined, and the DVD player needs a certain amount of sensitivity to read them.

As you say, you travel…are the players you encounter in your travels all top-of-the-line players? I somehow doubt it. Nor can you know the pounding the previous user gave the machine, so I’m not surprised that you’ve had problems with home recordings on machines other than your own…

OC

:slight_smile:

I imagine you mean the actual bought version of the DVD, it is because they are not burned , they are pressed with the information. One layer of the DVD is stamped with the info. A glass master is made with the info on it and then is used to press the info onto the substrate.