DVD Fab issues

[qanda]This thread is about the HP Pavilion zd7001US Rfbd Notebook PC. Click here to see full specs[/qanda]Ok so I have had DVD Fab Platinum for three weeks and burning everything no problem. This week I tried to burn Mr. Brooks, What Happens in Vegas, and Traitor using my laptop (HP Pavilion zd7000) and ran into a few problems. First, I tried to burn both What Happens in Vegas and Traitor (just the main movie) and both failed to burn during the last few minutes of burning. So i went to the DVD Fab website and updated the DVD driver from HP website and now I cannot even get my computer to initially read the dvds so I can burn them. So my question is how do I get back to having everything work 100% if at all possible. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

You sure you used the right driver (firmware) from HP? They used at least 7 different dvd combo drives in the zd7000 series. Which drive do you have?

I am not by my computer right now but I went to the HP website and typed in all my specifications for the zd7000 and downloaded the one they suggested. It was called DVD/CDRW Drive (GCC-4243N) Firmware Update.

The firmware you listed is for a combo drive it writes only cd’s not dvd’s. It sounds like you flashed the wrong firmware if you were burning dvd’s with it before.

So the IT at work said I could just go to my computer, then properties on my dvd drive, then properties again under hardware and then “roll back driver” to get back to old driver. Would this be correct?

[QUOTE=jhlebay;2220814]So the IT at work said I could just go to my computer, then properties on my dvd drive, then properties again under hardware and then “roll back driver” to get back to old driver. Would this be correct?[/QUOTE]
Jethro is correct. The firmware that you posted is not correct for a dvd burner, but rather a cdrw/dvd-rom drive.

Unfortunately, you’re confusing the terms [I]driver[/I] and [I]firmware[/I].
They are not the same.

Assuming you’re running in windows XP or Vista, your hp burner will use the operating system’s default (or native) drivers. In other words, there are no drivers to download for your hp burner. You can rollback or uninstall the driver for the burner as IT suggested, but it won’t help the incorrect flash.
Let’s say you uninstall the driver, one step beyond what IT suggested
When you reboot the system, windows will recognize the device, install it and assign the appropriate driver.
This won’t hurt anything, but it won’t change the fact that you flashed the wrong firmware to your burner

Firmware is a set of software instructions that is stored in the flash ROM (read only memory) of a hardware device.

You’re going to have to try and reflash your burner with the correct firmware

Do you by any chance know what firmware I need to get? I am pretty clueless when it comes this… . Thanks in advance for everyone’s help.

You will need to take the drive out of the laptop and see what it says on the drive. Were you able to burn dvd’s with this drive before you flashed it.

You might look in the device manager and see if in fact it says gcc-4243n now it might say something different, let us know and will see what can be done.

Hi again,

First let’s make sure what we’re dealing with…

Please download and install nero cd-dvd speed…there’s a link in my sig (probably a hot link on cdf too).
It’s a very useful utility and free.

Once installed, just look on top where nero will populate your ODDs (burners).
For eg., I highlighted Liteon LH-20 A1S (make and model)…the last 4 spaces is your firmware…in this case 9L08

I’ve gotta run out for a bit, but I’ll be back and hopefully Jethro will pop back in soon.

See attached:

Hey Jethro…glad you’re back…:wink:

OT had my 10,000th breath checkup…lol

OK downloaded the nero program and the last 4 digits listed are 0C12.

I also used the device manager and my DVD/CD Rom Drive is listed as HL-DT-ST-DVD RW-GWA-4080N.

Good it did not screw you to bad,go to the page below an download and install the 0C35 GCA (HP/Compaq) Windows

Here is the page link: http://tdb.rpc1.org/#GSA4080N

Good news, I was able to burn What HAppens in Vegas and Traitor but Mr. Brooks is still having issues with the PathPlayer function. Thank you very much Jethro and MaineMan for your help; I was completely clueless without it. Take care.

That is good news and you’re very welcome.

As far as PathPlayer…in Fab > [B]Common Settings > DVD > PathPlayer[/B].
Select [B]Always enable PathPlayer[/B]
if this setting fails on a specific disc, then select
[B]Disable PathPlayer[/B].

Never select[B] Enable PathPlayer when necessary[/B]…it causes problems too much of the time

MaineMan, one more question; I have PAthPlayer running all the time and the dvd still want initially read. You think it is just the dvd or something with the program? It plays fine in my dvd player, I actually watched it last night. The movie is MR. Brooks and I have tried with and without PathPlayer.

[QUOTE=jhlebay;2221725]MaineMan, one more question; I have PAthPlayer running all the time and the dvd still want initially read. You think it is just the dvd or something with the program? It plays fine in my dvd player, I actually watched it last night. The movie is MR. Brooks and I have tried with and without PathPlayer.[/QUOTE]

The fact that it plays ok in your player does not guarantee problem free ripping.
I see you’ve tried it with PP always enabled and completely disabled.
It’s not the encryption since many of us have decrypted this movie…I did last year when it came out on dvd…sorry no idea what version of Fab.

It’s gotta be the disc…either a bad press or some crud that you don’t see.
Take a microfiber cloth like you’d use on eyeglasses or a camera lens and some rubbing alcohol, windex or similar.
Do not use any solvents that would react with plastics.

Clean the disc in a spoke-like fashion…inside to outside and not in a circular manner.

If you have another burner or dvd-rom drive, try it it another drive. Frequently, another drive will be successful.

Hopefully, the cleaning will do it.