DVD FAB craches MAGIC JACK

Is anybody else using Magic Jack on the same machine as Decrypter? If you don’t know, Magic Jack is a USB telephone device that enables local & LD calls over a broadband connection. It has it’s quirks and one of them is that it crashes shortly after Decrypter is opened even without a disk installed. I’ve already reported it to support but I was wondering if anybody else is having the same problem.

When you say Decrypter, do you mean DVDFab or DVD Decrypter?

FYI:

http://club.cdfreaks.com/f116/disable-auto-scan-dvdfab-plat-251424/

//Edit
I believe signals offered the solution for the OP on post #11:wink:

And it is unchanged since then. Just tried it again myself. :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=signals;2409175]When you say Decrypter, do you mean DVDFab or DVD Decrypter?[/QUOTE]

Sorry to be so vague. What I mean is DVDFab Decrypter v6.0.3.0 Beta.

[QUOTE=maineman;2409180]FYI:

http://club.cdfreaks.com/f116/disable-auto-scan-dvdfab-plat-251424/

//Edit
I believe signals offered the solution for the OP on post #11…;)[/QUOTE]

Thanks. I’ve responded to “signals” post as there are terms I’m unfamiliar with in his solution.

There are better ways to make IP Calls, just unplug that USB connection when using DVDFab. If you are serious about Video you shouldn’t have that kind of Junk causing problems. :disagree:

[QUOTE=alchav21;2409250]There are better ways to make IP Calls, just unplug that USB connection when using DVDFab. If you are serious about Video you shouldn’t have that kind of Junk causing problems. :disagree:[/QUOTE]

Well, apparently I’m not as serious as you about video but I’m always willing to listen to a better idea if you have one. The MAGIC JACK may not be for you but it does work and it’s cheap. What do you have against it?

magicjack does not crash oon me when DVDfab is opened as I just tried it and I am using the latest beta release for DVDFab

It does not actually crash, it makes the dial tone click on and off, same thing if you make a call.

[QUOTE=GJ;2409268]magicjack does not crash oon me when DVDfab is opened as I just tried it and I am using the latest beta release for DVDFab[/QUOTE]

Consider yourself lucky I guess. If it ever does see the link in post #3 above for a solution. It seems to work for me.

I looked into Magic Jack & did not get it for the reason Bob posted in another topic.
No local incoming phone numbers in my area .This would make anyone calling me use long distance.I ocassionally check & if Magic Jack ever gets local here I plan to give it a try.Good to know a work around for Fab if needed.
I just wanted to add this I currently have Skype with a local incoming phone number & it works well.
I’m using a DPH-50U from D-link with Skype.This allows regular phones to be used with Skype.I have two cordless phone bases plugged into it .One has an answering machine as well.One of the bases is dual cordless phone.
The DPH-50U doesn’t have any problems with Fab or any other software so far.
I did have some echo problems at first but I was going through a USB power hub.Once I plugged directly into the computer this went away.It might be the same for Magic Jack.
Also the DPH-50U doesn’t show as a drive.

install DVD Fab first and then majic jack and see if that solves your issue

[QUOTE=ram16;2409259]Well, apparently I’m not as serious as you about video but I’m always willing to listen to a better idea if you have one. The MAGIC JACK may not be for you but it does work and it’s cheap. What do you have against it?[/QUOTE]

Yes, that Magic Jack causes a lot of problems. So you should get an IP Phone that does not connect to your computer. It should come off the Router or Modem. Check the Link below it will have some IP Phone options.
http://www.sunrocket.com/voip.html

[QUOTE=cholla;2409478]
No local incoming phone numbers in my area .This would make anyone .[/QUOTE]

Yeah , I found that out when I activated it as I live in Canada but they not have ANY Canadian phone numbers available. I just got it so I am thinking of returning it as I want a local Canadian number

[QUOTE=cholla;2409478]I looked into Magic Jack & did not get it for the reason Bob posted in another topic.
No local incoming phone numbers in my area .This would make anyone calling me use long distance.I ocassionally check & if Magic Jack ever gets local here I plan to give it a try.Good to know a work around for Fab if needed.
I just wanted to add this I currently have Skype with a local incoming phone number & it works well.
I’m using a DPH-50U from D-link with Skype.This allows regular phones to be used with Skype.I have two cordless phone bases plugged into it .One has an answering machine as well.One of the bases is dual cordless phone.
The DPH-50U doesn’t have any problems with Fab or any other software so far.
I did have some echo problems at first but I was going through a USB power hub.Once I plugged directly into the computer this went away.It might be the same for Magic Jack.
Also the DPH-50U doesn’t show as a drive.[/QUOTE]

I just read the description of your DPH-50U on the D-Link webpage. At the very end of the description it says it is not a replacement for home phone service. I wonder why. Also, what does the SKYPE service cost you monthly/yearly. Magic Jack is only $20 per year or $60 for 5 years. They also say in their FAQs that sometime in 2009 they will be able to transfer your existing land line number for a “nominal fee”.

[QUOTE=YeuEmMaiMai;2409524]install DVD Fab first and then majic jack and see if that solves your issue[/QUOTE]

DVDFab has been installed on my machine years before installing Magic Jack. I just installed today’s release (6.0.4.0) and it does the same thing to Magic Jack as previous versions. The workaround also still works on my machine.

[QUOTE=alchav21;2409778]Yes, that Magic Jack causes a lot of problems. So you should get an IP Phone that does not connect to your computer. It should come off the Router or Modem. Check the Link below it will have some IP Phone options.
http://www.sunrocket.com/voip.html[/QUOTE]

I’ve looked into VOIP options including those listed in the link you provided. They are all much more expensive than Magic Jack. You say Magic Jack causes a lot of problems. That’s not true for me, This problem with DVDFab is the only incompatibility I’ve found.

[QUOTE=ram16;2409454]Consider yourself lucky I guess. If it ever does see the link in post #3 above for a solution. It seems to work for me.[/QUOTE]

I just wanted to add that I have just installed today’s release of DVDFab (6.0.4.0) and it behaves the same on my machine.

[QUOTE=ram16;2409897]I just read the description of your DPH-50U on the D-Link webpage. At the very end of the description it says it is not a replacement for home phone service. I wonder why. Also, what does the SKYPE service cost you monthly/yearly. Magic Jack is only $20 per year or $60 for 5 years. They also say in their FAQs that sometime in 2009 they will be able to transfer your existing land line number for a “nominal fee”.[/QUOTE]
They say the same for Skype or Magic Jack “not a replacement for home phone service”.
I think it’s because they are computer dependent & 911 doesn’t work with either of them.Also if your electricity goes out& you don’t have an emergency backup power supply for your computer then no phone.
Hardwired phones will usually work without the electric working.Even some cordless bases have a battery supply for this.
Skype is more expensive that’s one reason I would give Magic Jack a try if it had local phone numbers in my area.
Skype is still a lot cheaper than ATT or other landline service.
Skypes price depends on how you purchase it.
Basically with a year subscription was $30.00
Then the internet phone number another $30.00 per year
So that way $60.00 US per year for US & Canada service.More if you want to add more countries.
Then the DPH-50U was $29.99 US at the time add shipping $7.00 made it $36.99 .Then it had a $10.00 rebate making its’ final cost $26.99.
So after that Skype will be $60.00 per year if the price stays the same.