DVD Fab 5

vbimport

I posted yesterday, but I guess I didn’t put in the right subject, because I haven’t had a response for my problem. I was in touch with some tech members about two weeks ago on this same issue with a different version of DVDFab 5 Gold which I purchased on May 10, 2008. You were all great, and you gave me numerous suggestions, but in the end, it was determined I had downloaded a corrupted version of this program.

I was sent a new link, downloaded it, and it was all smooth sailing until yesterday. Yesterday, when I opened up the program, it automatically updated, and I am back to square one. The only thing I am able to do is copy a disk. I can’t burn anything and won’t be able to send you a burn log, as far as I know. The write feature will not work at all. I believe I may have gotten another corrupt file downloaded from the defaultwebsite. The upgrade upgraded me to version 5.0.3.0.

I am operating on Windows Vista, and my burner is a Toshiba SH202N muilti read-write. I am forgoing giving you the brand name of the writing media since it’s a non issue right now.

Can anybody send me another link to a non-corrupt program? Now I realize I am assuming the update was corrupt, but I am doing that based on my prior knowledge that the previous version functioned in pretty much the same manner as this new update, and it was corrupt. I had problems getting it to write disks as well. So, I’ve got copy functionality but no ability to burn anything at all since this update, and I’ve changed the write settings to all options numerous times, and nothing is working.

What version are you using? Version 5.0.3.5 is working well for me. Were you logged in as administrator when you did the install? Always use either the link in the release notes here in the forum or Fengtao’s website for downloads.

Yes, I installed as admin. every time, and I am running 5.0.3.0.

We all used the same link here at CDF. It takes you to this link at the DVD FAB Webpage. This link is for the 5.0.3.5 beta and I know for a fact it is not corrupt. Try this. You may also try disabling the UAC in Vista.

http://www.dvdfab.com/download/DVDFab5035Beta_avangate-689.exe

Did all this after downloading SP1 with help from Microsoft Tech Support, but it would not install, and I downloaded it from the link you gave me, did a clean uninstall and reinstall, and still I can copy a movie but not burn it.

so in this thread you say cannot burn. What burn engine are you using Nero VSo or Img burn? Try another to see if it works. All I can do is suggest things for you to try as I do not know much about computers. Well I go back to watching my movie and will check back later

Okay GJ, thanks for redirecting me. I have Roxio Easy CD Creator, but it doesn’t pull up in DVDFab 5. I am using the burning engine built into the Fab program, the VSO. I had Nero on my computer, but when I went to Vista, it wasn’t compatible, and I removed it but also discovered during editing out DVDFab to reinstall clean that bits and pieces of it were all over the registry, and I thought that might be creating a conflict and got that out of the registry. If you recommend Nero over the burning software I have now, that’s fine. I’ll locate a Vista compatible version of it and get that, but the VSO burn engine was working fantastically until that update.

One of the other members responded in the last thread I was in, and sorry for getting mixed up on all this threading stuff, that there was a bug in the first program I actually bought before this update that involved the program only allowing burning to double layers but that the bug was fixed in this beta version. If it was fixed, it’s still haunting me. That’s the exact same thing I am now experiencing, the program allowing only a burn to a double layer disk, and I don’t even know whether letting it burn to a double layer would solve the problem because it didn’t the last time. The disk burned but wouldn’t play back. If for whatever reason I have picked up another version, the 5.0.3.5 Beta, that has the same bug, is there some way to fix it by chance? Can I fix the bug manually, or is that wishful thinking? And I am probably addressing some things to you that you might not be able to help with, but maybe someone else will read this message to you in the thread that has the answer.

Thanks.

[quote=alan1476;2078409]We all used the same link here at CDF. It takes you to this link at the DVD FAB Webpage. This link is for the 5.0.3.5 beta and I know for a fact it is not corrupt. Try this. You may also try disabling the UAC in Vista.

http://www.dvdfab.com/download/DVDFab5035Beta_avangate-689.exe[/quote]

I have windows xp, my burner is something Dell sent me called Writemaster, I am trying to use the newest version,5.0.3.5, it copies fine, than it goes to burn, and fail every time. The last error was: Task_2failed! Error=116
I have tried uninstalling it like 4 times, tried to use the VSO burn and Nero to burn, neither work,
I use Verbatim DVD-R 16X discs.
I apologize for mulitple links, I just noticed alot of what I was reading was like back in 2006.

[QUOTE=wulfspirit22;2080317]I have windows xp, my burner is something Dell sent me called Writemaster, I am trying to use the newest version,5.0.3.5, it copies fine, than it goes to burn, and fail every time. The last error was: Task_2failed! Error=116
I have tried uninstalling it like 4 times, tried to use the VSO burn and Nero to burn, neither work,
I use Verbatim DVD-R 16X discs.
I apologize for mulitple links, I just noticed alot of what I was reading was like back in 2006.[/QUOTE]
Hi wulfspirit22,
I responded to your other, similar post in the thread, “DVDFab error codes list”.

I understand that you thought you posted in the wrong thread previously, but please do not cross post. It’s best to just pm a mod and have your post moved/removed as opposed to cross posting.
And not meaning to beat you up, but re: forum etiquette, you essentially have hijacked this thread.
Again, you would be better off to simply start your own thread with your specific problem. You’ll receive more pertinent replies and not “ruffle” any feathers in the process. Just click on the New Thread button at the top or bottom of the Fab forum main page and have at it…:wink:

[quote=maineman;2080333]Hi wulfspirit22,
I responded to your other, similar post in the thread, “DVDFab error codes list”.

I understand that you thought you posted in the wrong thread previously, but please do not cross post. It’s best to just pm a mod and have your post moved/removed as opposed to cross posting.
And not meaning to beat you up, but re: forum etiquette, you essentially have hijacked this thread.
Again, you would be better off to simply start your own thread with your specific problem. You’ll receive more pertinent replies and not “ruffle” any feathers in the process. Just click on the New Thread button at the top or bottom of the Fab forum main page and have at it…;)[/quote]

Thank you for this input, I had NO Idea!!! Big sorry to everyone!!! An oldie trying ta do the “Newbie” thing. Cheers for taking the time to fill me in!! MUCH appreciated.

Hi wulfspirit22

Like Maineman said, please read our forum rules, crossposting can just mix people up and you will not get the attention you might need. Soi please read the tules you agreed to when you joined our forum. Thankyou.

[quote=yellowroseofky;2080015]Okay GJ, thanks for redirecting me. I have Roxio Easy CD Creator, but it doesn’t pull up in DVDFab 5. I am using the burning engine built into the Fab program, the VSO. I had Nero on my computer, but when I went to Vista, it wasn’t compatible, and I removed it but also discovered during editing out DVDFab to reinstall clean that bits and pieces of it were all over the registry, and I thought that might be creating a conflict and got that out of the registry. If you recommend Nero over the burning software I have now, that’s fine. I’ll locate a Vista compatible version of it and get that, but the VSO burn engine was working fantastically until that update.

One of the other members responded in the last thread I was in, and sorry for getting mixed up on all this threading stuff, that there was a bug in the first program I actually bought before this update that involved the program only allowing burning to double layers but that the bug was fixed in this beta version. If it was fixed, it’s still haunting me. That’s the exact same thing I am now experiencing, the program allowing only a burn to a double layer disk, and I don’t even know whether letting it burn to a double layer would solve the problem because it didn’t the last time. The disk burned but wouldn’t play back. If for whatever reason I have picked up another version, the 5.0.3.5 Beta, that has the same bug, is there some way to fix it by chance? Can I fix the bug manually, or is that wishful thinking? And I am probably addressing some things to you that you might not be able to help with, but maybe someone else will read this message to you in the thread that has the answer.

Thanks.[/quote]
ok yellowroseofky when you reinstalled dvdfab5 did you agree to installing the VSO software? You need this to be installed in order to write do disc with it, as you said it the burn engine that you trying to use. All I can say now is to uninstall dvdfab5 and then reinstall it and make sure you agree to installing the VSO software

Okay GJ, yes I did agree to the installation of the VSO burn engine in the installation each and every time I installed. I have installed as aministrator each time, and each time I removed the program, I regedited it out, downloaded fresh, and reinstalled under admin., and I even went so far as to close all applications in my taskbar that could be closed and turned off UAC control, and I still can’t burn onto a regular DVD-R or RW. Right now, I am biting the dust so to speak and have left my computer upgrading Vista back on again, just in case things didn’t go as well as could be the first time I did it, which was just really a few days ago. We’ll see how it goes when it completes upgrading today and my grabbing the SP1 again, and then I will do yet another and hopefully last clean uninstall and clean reinstall of the program. I’ll get back to you after that one way or the other as to whether or not it fixes the problem, and thanks for all of your help. I really do appreciate it.

By the way, I got an e-mail that seems to have been meant for someone else, or at least I hope it was, because we resolved the issue about my supposed hijacking of a thread, and that was due to not knowing how this whole business of a forum works in relation to tech support. I don’t really do the forum thing, and I don’t blog , and I don’t even have the need to instant message anyone, so I am new at all of this, and you got me straightened out on that issue already, so I thought that was over and done with, and we are still just trying to get the program issues worked out. I need to restate that I really loved the two weeks the program worked for me, but when it updated, that was pretty much the end of functionality when it comes to writing what was backed up on the hard drive over to a disk.

Boy Rose I sure hope you can get it straightened out because you sure have had your share of problems lately, sorry I don’t have Vista so I can’t help you but just hang in I am sure someone will solve your problem

Hey, I was wondering about you Jimbo. Glad to see you’re still around. I am really right now trying to go through a process of elimination as far as ruling out that the problem might be on my end (my computer). Since it’s not hard to put in my full version Vista disk and just let it upgrade, and I don’t have to reinstall everything, I figured it wouldn’t hurt to do that again, and during a regedit to take out DVDFab and prepare for reinstallation, I discovered Nero, which was an incompatible version for Vista that I uninstalled a long time ago, was still in there spread all over the place and might affect the burning process of DVDFab, I went ahead and removed it all the way out too, which is another reason why I am playing it safe with that OS reinstall before doing a new and fresh download of Fab. I just hope the heck it gets me back in the running on DVDFab. I don’t want to be limited to those expensive double layer disks, and they won’t run on my regular DVD television player/recorder. I did figure that out as well. The DVD player hooked to my television did come out a few years before double layers, so that’s probably why a disk burned onto a double layer won’t play there, but it doesn’t explain why the disk also wouldn’t play on my computer with sound. Anyway, you and some other people helped work out those initial problems, and I figured out the incompatible media in relation to my televison connected DVD player, and everything was straightened out and working fine, and then I got bammed by that darned automatic update. And, when I uncheck that automatic update feature, it will not turn off. I unplug my router, unchechecked the update and rebooted, plugged the router back in, and daggone if it didn’t go ahead and update anyway, ARGGGGGHHHHH!!!

Rose just a thought here, are you using a fresh download or still using one you have downloaded earlier because I think they fixed that auto update thingie that people were having problems with in a later version, Boy by the time you get this figured out you will be our own computer expert :slight_smile:

Okay Jimbo, and it’s good to see you on here again. I have tried everything to answer your question. Yes, I have clean uninstalled various versions of the program now and clean reinstalled, and I went to the 5.0.3.5. and did the same. After I totally clean out the DVDFab program, I also delete the last downloads, and then I go to the DVDFab.com website and download the latest version again and install it but wind up with the exact same problem no matter what version I download. But, I do have one question, I did notice one small bit of .VSO in my registry, and there is only one, and I was afraid to remove it because I don’t know if it’s only used by DVDFab, or is it possible some of Windows own burning program or Roxio Easy CD Creator might also be using that bit in the registry? If no other programs other than DVDFab are using that .VSO, then I can safely delete it and then do a clean uninstall with that file edited out. It could also be causing this problem on the burn, and I would have automatically removed it in the regedit process if I knew for a certaintly that it only tracked back to DVDFab, and no other programs are using it in the registry. I have been wracking my brain over numerous things that I don’t know about, and these little tidbits are popping into my brain now after having tried everything else. By the way, I have now completed the upgrade of Vista again, and I have grabbed the SP1 again, downloaded and installed that, and this has all taken two days due to the fact I can only work on my home computer after work, and those darned Vista downloads take hours, and I had to run them at night and then go to bed and let them finish downloading while I slept. I work a full day. So, it takes awhile to accomplish all this. But, this is the weekend, and the SP1 just got finished at 12:00 a.m., and I will be back to uninstall/reinstall of the DVDFab, and please keep your fingers crossed that that lousy burn only to double layer disks doesn’t come up again. It’s not supposed to limit me to that one media darn it, and I see you guys recommend DVD+RL DL, but I am having troubles with that and my burner. I have even researchd the various medias out there, and even though I have a brand new, fresh out of the box Samsung/Toshia multi read burner, I don’t think that means it will burn all media. Multi read might actually just mean it’s going to read anything burned no matter what media a disk was created with, but it might not mean it’ll burn in all formats. That’s my opinion on that issue anyway. I am going out tomorrow to check out some more burners, even though I have this brand new one. I ran two different ones before, so it can’t hurt to install a new one. I read that this drive I bought uses the DVD-R, RW, DL disks and that other manufacturer’s burners prefer the pluses. And, not every question can be answered on the box of the burner. I saw some DVD Rom drives out there that read disks but don’t burn. I also found that you Freaks have a spot on the forum on these burners, and I will be checking out your opinions on the various types of burners as well. At least this way, I can be burning a program on one burner and then can also be doing something else with the other while the burn is going on if I have two drives. Can’t hurt. I don’t think it will hurt to have two different manufacturers on those drives as long as I don’t use them both at the same time for the same purposes. Lots of stuff to consider here that all affect the burning process of these disks. I did discover late in the game that two of those DVD+R DL disks wound up playing fine on my computer, but the other three were no good at all. I really can’t afford to waste those darned expensive things. I am referring back to my initial problem with version 5.0.2.0. on that issue. It was burning, but the burned DL disks would not play in my DVD television attached player or Windows, but I kept attempting five different burns, and I thought they all failed because I checked them on the television DVD player, but when I went back through those disks, I discoverd two of them will actually play, with sound, on Windows Media Player; just not on my regular television. I lost three disks though in attempts to burn. I do also know that I can change some settings for DivX to allow for MP3 and that sort of thing, but I am trying to backup my disks so I can go to my television and watch them there.

Thanks for responding, and in a lot of ways, I like it when sticky situtations come up, because it becomes a marathon learning process for me, I do a lot of research on the issue, and then I try to figure it out, but this is a program I’ve never used before, and I’ve never used a program of its type before. So, I am learning there are an awful lot of settings and decisions to make on how and what you want to burn, etc. And then this is a known bug on the program asking for only DL disks, but it wasn’t supposed to be getting carried over to the newer versions that my program updated to, however, it has carried over for now. We’ll just see tomorrow if a clean reinstall will change anything, and if anybody knows the answer to my question about whether or not to delete that .VSO in the registry, please let me know before I have to regedit DVDFab out again to do a clean reinstall please. I’m tried now, and I hope all this is making some sense. If it’s not, ask me some questions, and I’ll answer, and maybe we can keep working together to get it going. It worked for two weeks, and I loved it, but now that I’ve got a taste of how DVDFab Gold is supposed to work, I’d like to get that capability back again.

wow thats alot to understand at once. :bigsmile: sorry for your trouble. :slight_smile:

just from what you have stated about the drive being new, only being able to burn to dl media and that now you can not burn at all. id almost think you have a bad drive.

now to assume the drive works perfect. id suggest using dvdfab to rip to hard drive and burn using imgburn in build mode. using default settings for imgburn except burn speed, 8x. then post the log. :smiley:

thanks

troy

yellowroseofky I hope you not upset with me not helping you with my suggestions but all I know is that I have never had a problem with dvdfab on my XP rig’s or my Vista rig’s. But I can tell you that I do not have roxio on any of my computers. I reallly do hope you get this problem straightened out as dvdfab is the best dvd back up program out there. Well it seems like I am not able to help with your problem so hopefully someone else will. Oh and about the high-jacking thing another cdfreaks member must have reported it as all I did was mention it to you in a post and then mentioned what to do. but anyway goodluck and I really hope you get your problem fixed as dvdfab is an awesome program.

I think that hijack thing was picked up by a moderator, but I really don’t believe any comments were directed at me this time. I think somebody else got on my thread, and that made me understand what the heck you guy’s meant by hijacking a thread, and those comments were meant for that other person but were showing up on my thread. I can sympathize with the other fella though. This is all new to us in regards to getting technical support for a computer program of any kind via a forum. And, I for one didn’t read the fine print when I was forced to hook up with this darned thing, so there on that issue.

Now, last night, when I was dog tired from working on this lousy computer until the wee hours of the morning, another update of DVDFab came through and fixed all my problems. The drive is working fine, and I had even gone so far as to download ImgBurn but hadn’t installed it yet and won’t be unless I need to. I think I’ve got enough programs on this computer gumming up the works, but I use them all and can’t delete them. I have deleted all the ones I don’t use very often already. Some of the ones that are staying are expensive Adobes. I have the newest version of Fab now, and it’s working, and I have unchecked any updates, because God forbid another one to come along, update the program we all worked so darned hard to get going, and mess it all up again. So, I’m back in the running everybody on the DVDFab, and I think I’ll go out now and buy some other nifty little device to attach to my computer, and I’ll probably be creating myself yet another problem, but at least it won’t be with DVDFab this time. Ha, ha!!! I’m thinking along the lines of a second burner or a nifty little computer attached camera, although I got only porn the last time I tried that number, or a new sound card for my nifty new 70/140 watt speakers I’ve just added.

It’s time for the fun and games of computing for me, although I have to say when sticky problems come up with a computer, the whole mess winds up being a beneficial learning process in the end of it when you get to actually learn how to fix the problem. Tech support over at Microsoft isn’t the best sitting over in India either I might add. They have yet to actually figure out a fix for my Vista problems, but I usually wind up having to contact them for something or another, and they usually don’t get it fixed for me, but somewhere in the process, they get my brain going in the right track, and I wind up figuring it out myself. Like leaving for work one day with two burners installed that were working fine when I left and then coming home and finding out neither one of them was working after a Visa update. That was such fun, and I spent two weeks’ worth of evenings on the phone with Microsoft support, and they got one drive going but not the other, but I figured it out in the end.

I know this is off subject for you all, but I just want to let you know for anybody that hasn’t had it happen yet but might have it happen, Vista can update, actually get into your computer’s bios and make changes, and it can make the wrong changes. My two drives stopped working because Vista changed the bios settings on those two drives, and the bios was showing they were connected to the motherboard as one being slaved to the other. That’s not the way I set them up, and when I corrected the bios, both drives were back to working order. I spent two weeks on the phone with Microsoft with them fiddling around with my registry via Easy Assist, which is why I’ve had some other OS problems after that, and it was the bios change all along. Just thought either you, yourselves, as tech support people just might be running into this at some point, and it could connect to some DVDFab problems when people contact you for support. I am saying you may ask them to check to see if their computer has recently updated, and if it’s a Vista rig, then check the bios settings. Of course, you can’t expect newbies to know these things, but some people might be able to understand if you instruct them to double-check these things. I hope you will never run into this, and I can tell you it was a nightmare when I did, but I am all the wiser with the knowledge that if come home and find one of my devices that once worked is not working, I might be able to save two weeks in time with a lousy Microsoft tech support person in India by checking for a Vista automatic update and then looking in my bios for a change there.

Here’s hoping I will never have to contact you guys again regarding DVDFab. Keep your fingers crossed. It was nice dealing with you, and maybe I’ll visit you on the site I saw that looked like it was for chat, or you can send me e-mails. We could keep in touch. I hate to lose people, even met over the computer, that seem more like friends at the end of a sticky situation.

And, if you get contacted by somebody that’s having the same problems I have had, contact me, and I’ll try to remember all this stuff to pass on to someone else.