DVD FAb 5.0.2.0 w/Mobile option too slow!

vbimport

hello, i just downloaded the new version of DVD FAb 5.0.2.0 with the mobile option. i tried to convert a dvd to my ipod, and it took nearly 4 hours. I went ahead and tried the same options on my previous version, 4.1.2.0. and it only took 1 hour. I thought the new version was suppose to be faster? Anyone else experiencing this problem??

Did you use the same movie source both times?

Just an FYI,
Same thing happened to me. First, I noticed the fps was about 1/2 normal on whatever files I tried…even started getting Fab console errors… Seemed like whatever I tried, (eg., reinstall, uninstall and new install, system restore, etc.,) things deteriorated.
Ultimately, my system became unstable.
I had dug myself quite a hole and had had enough.
I keep a recently cloned system hdd ready to go on an eSATA connection.
I simply changed the boot priority, rebooted and recloned with a stable system hdd.

Once again, I downloaded and installed 5.0.2.0.
This time, no problems. The conversion times are even a bit faster than the previous beta.

I can only guess I had a corrupt download/install although there were no obvious clues to this.

I firmly believed this was just a fluke and was not reproducible in any respect.
You’re the first user, besides myself, that has mentioned the slow mpeg-4 conversion time.

just tried it again, and the encoding Fps kept on decreasing. it started from 20 Fps, and it twindled down to 3 or 4. (12 hrs to convert)
the previous dvd fab Encoding Fps was at 40 or 45. (1 hour to convert)

i used the exact same specification for both dvd fab programs. the new
one and the old one.

[QUOTE=jumper888;2055802]just tried it again, and the encoding Fps kept on decreasing. it started from 20 Fps, and it twindled down to 3 or 4. (12 hrs to convert)
the previous dvd fab Encoding Fps was at 40 or 45. (1 hour to convert)

i used the exact same specification for both dvd fab programs. the new
one and the old one.[/QUOTE]

Yup, that’s exactly how it started for me…:confused:

ok i’ll chime in now.

I don’t convert alot of stuff to my Creative Zen W but i tried a couple with 5.0.2.0.

First one was 158 fps one pass in 25 minutes using 100% of both of my cores and i thought yeah!!

Ran another one…started out at 20 fps and eventually got to 50 fps and stayed there resulting in a one hour twenty minutes conversion.

So i defraged with O&O cleaned every thing up with CCleaner and rebooted.

Ran another one after reboot and still get the cursed 50 fps…

I haven’t tried another one since.

If the slow convert happens again, look in task manager and see if you are unusually deep into virtual memory. Swap file may be clogging up.

//EDIT// Wasn’t there a memory leak problem when the Console .exe was first put in? Recollection hazy on this. No funny comments about personal memory leaks please.

[QUOTE=signals;2055837]
//EDIT// Wasn’t there a memory leak problem when the Console .exe was first put in? Recollection hazy on this. No funny comments about personal memory leaks please.[/QUOTE]
I was about to say something re: a memory leak…but I can’t remember right now…:stuck_out_tongue:
Yeah, I’m pretty sure you’re right, but to be honest, I can’t recall any specifics. I just made a couple “search” attempts, but no luck.

I looked signals my RAM and was only using less than 1 gig out my 2 gigs. CPU graphs were all over the place.

@Bob
I get the CPU rollercoaster too but always have. I’m going to try another one and see.

@maineman
I knew that was coming. :slight_smile:

I got great fps on the first one and then it just went to heck. I don’t convert a lot but i had a few movies i wanted to put on my Zen W.

I’m not trying to steal your thread jumper888 i thought we had similar problems?

signals is really good with DVDFab so i hope him or maybe Ting will show up with something.

No worries Bob, i’m just trying to figure out why the new version would be slower on my laptop. I mean, if the virtual memory is almost full, or something is wrong with my laptop, then both Dvd Fab versions would be operating the same speed. But they’re not. The new version is very very slow at converting to mp4, however, backing up dvd on main movie mode is fast. So it’s not a faulty new version because all the processes would be slow right? But in my case, only the mp4 conversion under the “ipod” catergory is slow. Any additional suggestions. I’ve already uninstalled and re-installed the new version twice. Problem remains.

There were changes in the way these processes work in 5.0.2.0. I am still testing.

Just an update, i was tracking my cpu memory meter, and both versions take about the same memory while its running. However, the computer responds slower when i’m running the new version. Ex. Pressing Ctr. Alt Del. to see the cpu info. it takes longer for the info to pop up while using the new version. however, with the old version, the cpu info pops up almost instantly with little delay. so, my computer slows down significantly while the new version is running. Hopefuly they release a new version of DVD FAb only. the mobile option is giving me a headache already.

I was hoping that they would have split the app up and make them 2 apps. Then Ting could release more often for the mobile app :\

I’ve also noticed extremely slow conversion to AVI ( generic xvid+mp3 ) using 5.0.2.0. Did not jot down any specifics on machine configuration however.

[QUOTE=Bob;2055851]I looked signals my RAM and was only using less than 1 gig out my 2 gigs. CPU graphs were all over the place.[/QUOTE]
Same here Bob…like signals, I also get the cpu rollercoaster.
My RAM use sits at just under 1 GB (2 total) and my rig is way older than yours.
I’ll try a test on my son’s rig (he’s home for a bit). You guys have the exact same mobo, cpu and RAM, so it’ll be a decent comparison.

[QUOTE=jumper888;2055872] The new version is very very slow at converting to mp4, however, backing up dvd on main movie mode is fast. So it’s not a faulty new version because all the processes would be slow right? But in my case, only the mp4 conversion under the “ipod” catergory is slow. Any additional suggestions. I’ve already uninstalled and re-installed the new version twice. Problem remains.[/QUOTE]
Unfortunately, a faulty (or less than solid) version doesn’t have to extend to “all the processes”. Case in point, back about 3 months ago, I was helping a member test Xbox conversions. The fps progressively slowed to a point where you were looking at very unreasonable conversion times.
This was reproducible with multiple files and on multiple systems.
None of the other conversion profiles demonstarted any problems whatsoever.

For now, I’d sit tight and wait for Ting to work his magic.
Signals mentioned that there were recent changes made.
Signals will let us know what’s up…he’s light years ahead of anyone else with this stuff…well, me anyway…:iagree:

yes, thanks guys, i guess we’ll just sit tight and wait for a possible fix. IMO, there is something wrong with the mobile option as far as converting speed goes. Everthing esle is just fine.

hi,

I have do a simple test for ipod conversion, but unfortunately I cannot repeat this problem, in this version I have adjust some param of convert engine, I think maybe this cause the slow fps in your system,

I guess you are using a ipod profile with mpeg4 ? if it is possible, please try the h264 profile, of course if you have other test information please tell me.

btw, one question, which is your PC config, like cpu or memory, all this maybe effect the engine running.

Thanks.