DVD external drive suddenly reports read only

vbimport

Vista64 - DVD+RW

I use a DVD to do backups from my C: drive and suddenly I am getting messages that the DVD drive is read only and I can no longer drag folders and files to it using Win Explorer. This happened suddenly right in the middle of doing just that! :doh:

Oddly, I also suddenly cannot access my external laptop hard drive that I use to clone my internal HD. It simply is no longer recognized by Windows.

Hi and Welcome!

could you plese specify these external devices further?

Especially I want to know if these devices came with a power supply.

Michael

[QUOTE=mciahel;2540650]Hi and Welcome!

could you plese specify these external devices further?

Especially I want to know if these devices came with a power supply.

Michael[/QUOTE]

The DVD is a HP DVD 940 external drive that has a transforer in the cord.

My duplicate laptop drive is in a USB Philips external case that I know is working properly.

Long story that you should know. I had just downloaded the Vista64 MS updates (19 of them) then attempted to clone the drive as usual, using Acronis True Image. The clone attempt failed and the external hard drive is no longer recognized by Windows even in my son’s computer.

Since that was my only backup, I was attempting to save my most important files to a DVD+RW using Win Explorer when I got the “this drive is read only” message. This was after I had already moved 1.5GB of information onto it from my C: drive.

Before I go with removing the 19 Windows updates to see if that is the problem, I want to have some kind of backup protection!

Thanks

Have you been copy/pasting a lot of times? Have you been copy/pasting a small number of files each time? Good chance your disc is already full.

[QUOTE=Mr. Belvedere;2540836]Have you been copy/pasting a lot of times? Have you been copy/pasting a small number of files each time? Good chance your disc is already full.[/QUOTE]

I began with an empty DVD+RW and, as I posted, only copied 1.5GB to it. When I run ‘properties’, the disk shows considerably less than half full.

[QUOTE=Dustoff;2540843]I began with an empty DVD+RW and, as I posted, only copied 1.5GB to it. When I run ‘properties’, the disk shows considerably less than half full.[/QUOTE]

So, did you do that in one big copy/paste action or a lot of small copy/paste actions? The latter one could fill faster because of overhead.