DVD errors

Could someone please help me figure out what I need to do to play DVD’s on my computer. When I purchased the computer it did not have a DVD player so I bought a Pioneer Internal DVD/CD writer and installed it. Everything appears to be running ok but when I put a DVD in, I get an error that says I need MPEG-2 encoder/decoder. Is this something else that I will have to purchase or can I download for free. I have also been told that I simply need to update my video card (since there was never a dvd player before). Help, I just want to be able to watch DVD’s from my computer. Also, I tried to watch the DVD on WMP11. I get an error there that says something about changing my display settings. Any advise would be helpful.

Thanks.

Welcome to CD Freaks.

A free program like VideoLan VLC (google it) should enable you to watch DVDs on your PC assuming the spec is sufficient.

What , briefly, is the PC spec?

ok…not sure what u mean by spec but it is a Gateway computer with an NVidia GeForce 2 video card. I run windows xp. If this is not what you meant please specify. I not too smart at all of this.

I was thinking of processor type & speed I guess.

Try my recommendation , you’ll soon know if it’s OK.

ok…thanks so much that worked but I don’t have any sound. Do you have any ideas on how to fix that?

Presumably the volume both in VLC & for the soundcard is turned up.

You might have to select the audio track 'cos if the main track is DTS you won’t be able to play it on the PC.

Nevermind…I got it…Thanks for your help