DVD Dual Layer compatibility?

I just burned my first Dual Layer movie. It plays in the Dual Layer Burner, but when I go to play it in other Dvd Players like my Cyberhome Dvd Player it Does not work. Same with my Sony DvD Rom player for the computer. Is there something I did wrong.

I took my copy of Mystic River put it in did DvD DeCrypter and made an Iso. Then took the Iso and burned it with DvD DeCrypter.

What am I doing wrong to play the movie in my set top box? My Cyberhome DVD player should play it but can not.

Thanks for the help, if anyone can help. Not sure if this is the right place but would like some feedback if anyone has any to add to this.

Kaine260

You’re like the first guy on the block with one of these burners. Not sure you will get much feedback but I’ll be watching =]

Hi…

There’s the same compatibility problem with DL like it was/is with DVD+/-R for older DVD players. The german computer magazine c’t tested the compatibility of DVD+R DL media burned with bitsetting to DVD-ROM and with normal DVD+R DL.

Playability with booktype DVD-ROM and DVD+R DL:

1. Standalone DVD: DVD-ROM 91%, DVD+R DL 78%
  2. Standalone DVD-Recorders: DVD-ROM 85%, DVD+R 0%!!!
  3. PC DVD: DVD-ROM 65%, DVD+R DL 45%
  4. PC DVD burner: DVD-ROM 75%, DVD+R DL 25%!!!
  5. Combodrives: DVD-ROM 40%. DVD+R DL 40%

Overall: DVD-ROM 77%, DVD+R DL 42%

=> It is highly recommended to burn DVD+R DL with booktime set to DVD-ROM!!!

Regards,

Gerd

Agreed!

Since DL +R and -R recording was probably not anticipated by most commercial player manufactures, the DVD +R booktype apparently confuses even many modern players, I am assuming many computer DVD readers and writers too. The solution is twofold. First make sure that you set the booktype to DVD-ROM when you write a DL disc, this will fool many players. This does make one wonder how the -R forum will handle this situation when they introduce a DL recorder - booktype is prewritten to -R? The second solution is to write to the manufacture of your commercial player or computer DVD writer/reader and see if a firmware upgrade is possible. Cyberhome has firmware upgrades which can be downloaded and burned to a CD to upgrade your firmware on some players. I doubt that they have addressed this issue yet, however, it wouldn’t hurt to start requesting this firmware revision. Many DVD writer firmwares are being quietly upgraded to recognize the new DL +R disc.

Do you have deep pockets? Or did you just use a DL disc supplied with the drive?

Reading between the lines though it’s necessary to perform a Bit Setting routine on DL media, thereby increasing compatibility to around the 70% mark…

Hi Kaine260 and welcome to the forums :slight_smile:

Follow BlackWolf’s excellent advice and you should increase the compatability of the DL media you write by far. Report back with the results :wink:

I’m gonna bookmark this thread for future reference cuz making DL coasters could easily cost big bucks and my poor @ss cant afford a $15 coaster at the moment. :smiley:

Hi…

if they where $15 but here in germany they are 15EUR which is about $18 (20% more).

Gerd

[QUOTE=Kaine260;611825]I just burned my first Dual Layer movie. It plays in the Dual Layer Burner, but when I go to play it in other Dvd Players like my Cyberhome Dvd Player it Does not work. Same with my Sony DvD Rom player for the computer. Is there something I did wrong.

I took my copy of Mystic River put it in did DvD DeCrypter and made an Iso. Then took the Iso and burned it with DvD DeCrypter.

What am I doing wrong to play the movie in my set top box? My Cyberhome DVD player should play it but can not.

Thanks for the help, if anyone can help. Not sure if this is the right place but would like some feedback if anyone has any to add to this.

Kaine260[/QUOTE]

Hi Kaine260,
I’ve been burning my episodes of SG-1, on a LITE-ON IDE DL burner, to Verbatum DVD+R DL, and they were playing fine in my Mitsubishi, Pioneer, and Panasonic players. I was using Nero 7 Nero Vision4 to edit commercials, included menus and burned to DVD+R DL Disc. After my drive went out and could not burn to DL anymore, I purchased the new LITE-ON iHAS424 SATA burner.

I used the same software for video editing. The Panasonic will show the menu, but when you click on the thumbnail to play the movie, the menu just stays there. After I re-burned it without the menus, and just burned the video, the player says “NO READ.” So, it looks like we’re having the same problem. I have called, and contacted support from Nero, LITE-ON and various blogs. It looks like no one knows what is going on. I believe there are a lot of issues with the burners that are questionable. I know I didn’t answer your question, I just wanted to let you know that this is an issue I think the manufacturers don’t have an answer for.

Revived a SIX years old thread…