DVD drives won\'t Recognize anything

[qanda]This thread is about the Lite-On LH-20A1H. Click here to see full specs[/qanda]I have both a Lite-on LH-20A1H and a Sony DW-Q120A dvd burners, my problem is that neither drive recognizes anything I put in them; not blank media, new media (cd’s, dvd, burned media), nothing. I have used them both many, many times in the past to burn media, but now, nothing. I have updated firmware, drivers, uninstalled and reinstalled them, I even tried rmvfltrs.exe, none of that helped. I downloaded UniBlue Driver Scanner and updated the drivrs, ever since then, my drives haven’t worked. Any suggestions? thanks

Since the drivers come with the operating system there is nothing to update. I’ve never heard of Uniblue Driver Scanner who knows what it installed. I’m guessing the rmvfltrs.exe is supposed to remove the upper and lower filters? You should check it manually. Here’s a link for a how-to: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314060

that didn’t help…but thanks for trying.

Have you tried system restore to a time when it was working right?

Reseat the IDE cable at the motherboard and the drives as see what happens. Can you boot from a Window install CD?