DVD Drives Won\'t boot for windows install! (Lite-On SOHW-1693S)

vbimport

Hey all. I recently decided to format my computer.

Anyway, I had a Lite-On SOHW-1693s03c
and a BTC 1008 handy and I couldn’t get the Windows XP (retail) disc to boot at all to do the install.

The first drive (BTC) didn’t even want to acknowledge the disc and the second drive (Liteon) just kept on spinning up and then down.

I tried everything I could think of including checking the cables.

Anyway, I pulled a drive out of a dell (Liteon LTD-163) and it booted just fine.

What gives?

Could it be that my motherboard (ecs/nVidia 6100SM-M) just doesn’t like those drives?

I tested the drives on another PC and they read (and burn) just fine! I’d really like to have a burner rather than just a reader on this box.

[QUOTE=distortedimage;2093677]Hey all. I recently decided to format my computer.

Anyway, I had a Lite-On SOHW-1693s03c
and a BTC 1008 handy and I couldn’t get the Windows XP (retail) disc to boot at all to do the install.

The first drive (BTC) didn’t even want to acknowledge the disc and the second drive (Liteon) just kept on spinning up and then down.

I tried everything I could think of including checking the cables.

Anyway, I pulled a drive out of a dell (Liteon LTD-163) and it booted just fine.

What gives?

Could it be that my motherboard (ecs/nVidia 6100SM-M) just doesn’t like those drives?

I tested the drives on another PC and they read (and burn) just fine! I’d really like to have a burner rather than just a reader on this box.[/QUOTE]

1 you have to make sure that your disk is for sure BOOTABLE.

2 you need to enable your pc (IN BIOS) to boot from cd/dvd drive. and usually it is the master drive so you probably can’t enable booting and then try to boot from slave boot from master drive

I know the BIOS is set to allow the drive to be bootable since the LTD-163 booted the winxp disc just fine.

Also the disc is a retail pressed disc so I don’t think there’d be any booting defects with that.

Side note, I just booted up with the lite on and flashed it to the newest firmware and it still won’t boot disks. =(.

On this computer it just doesn’t seem to want to read disks at all.

(Strange…)

Hey all… After reading through some other posts, I think that the culprit might be that the CD reading capabilities of both (!?!) of these drives are shot.

Is there any way to take a bootable CD and translate it into a bootable DVD to test my theory?

(I say this because when I was testing the drives on another machine, I was inserting DVDs rather than the CD I was trying to boot with as a control. )

-dan