DVD Drives stuffing up?

hey guys. i have 2 dvd drives a Pioneer DVR-111D and an ASUS E616A2 and everytime i go to BURN something, my computer freaks out and the application that im using to try and burn ALWAYS goes into Non Responding mode, whether it be iTunes, Windows Media Player 11, CloneDVD, DVD Decrypter, VSO DivXtoDVD. and whats worse is that when i go to kill the exe in task manager i cant. it lets me kill it but nothing happens, it still sits there frozen, AND THEN whenever i go to open any new tasks like firefox or internet explorer it runs in the task manager but doesnt appear on my screen for use! all this forcing me to restart and not touch anything to do with burning. this is really really really annoying and the only way i can burn stuff now is to burn through my mums computer using LAN.

if anyone could help it would be much appreciated <3

daLe

When exactly does this happen and what kinda media are you using? Could be using bad media? But also do you have them firmware updated and how old is your drives? Also are you trying to burn CDs or DVDs? How long has this been happening? Do you have a firewall or antivirus interfering with the process or another burn progam running in the background? Also make sure you don’t have malware or spyware on your system. How long has it been you defragged your HDD? I can only put out situation as you didn’t provide much information with details as to the nature of the problem. What kinda O/S are you using? What software are you using to do the burn?

Can you check and make sure DMA is enabled on all your drives, to make sure that’s not the problem :slight_smile:

See the link in my sig, there’s a thorough guide for Windows OSes :slight_smile:

yeh DMA is enabled on ALL IDE channels

When exactly does this happen and what kinda media are you using?

happens exactly when i go to burn something. like when i press the “Burn Disc” button on iTunes or when i go to the “Burn” tab on WMP11. and i’ve used all sorts of different media from cheap brand (Base?) to good brands (TDK) but they all do the same thing.

do you have them firmware updated and how old is your drives?

yes i made sure last night that both drives are updated, which they are. the ASUS is about 1 and a half years old (its only a DVD-ROM drive) and the Pioneer is only about 5 months old (burner)

Also are you trying to burn CDs or DVDs?

DVD’s and CD’s the same thing happens with both.

How long has this been happening?

only the last 4 days. before it was working normally

Do you have a firewall or antivirus interfering with the process or another burn progam running in the background?

i have ZoneAlarm Firewall and NOD32 AV. but ive had them for as long as i can remember and they never had any problems with them conflicting with burning or anything.

How long has it been you defragged your HDD?

about 4 months, will do tomorrow when i go to school, using Raxco PerfectDisk

What kinda O/S are you using? What software are you using to do the burn?

Windows XP Pro SP2

and the software:
iTunes 7.3.1
Windows Media Player 11
CloneDVD 2.9.9.0
DVD Decrypter
VSO ConvertXtoDVD

i have tried with all 5 of those programs and they all do the same thing only when i go to burn, as i mentioned earlier

daLe <3