BenQ DVD-ROM (model 16508)
Samsung CD-RW (model SW-208B)
I'm not sure if this is exactly the right forum, but it seemed the most relevant...... & apologies in advance about so much detail, but it probably covers some of the questions Iâ€™d be asked initially if I didnâ€™t!
I'm fixing up a 10 â€“ 12 year old PC I had lying about. I put XP Pro SP3 on it & everything worked fine until I installed loads of windows updates then both the optical drives disappeared from My Computer & System Info, & in Device Manager now have the yellow circle & ! by them. The Samsung drive is listed by name & model, but the BenQ drive just says DVD-ROM 16X i.e. generic
Device Manager > DVD/CD-ROM drives > drive properties > driver tab > driver details shows the same for both drives:
- running the add hardware wizard....."...cannot load driver.....may be corrupted or missing (code 39)" for both
- physically removing the drives, rebooting, shutting down, then putting them back in & rebooting â€“ didnâ€™t help
- deleting them from Device Manager then rebooting â€“ it seemed to work....they reappeared there without the !s, but then a minute later the !s reappeared
- disabling/re-enabling them
- uninstalling/reinstalling in Device Manager
- updating drivers....â€no better driver foundâ€
- rolling back the drivers....â€no driver files backed up for this deviceâ€
- I set the CD-ROM as 1st boot device in the BIOS & rebooted with the win XP CD in the drive & the comp started to go into the setup process, so it seemed like the drive was being recognised & working, but doesnâ€™t if I've booted from the HDD into windows & put the win XP CD in
I donâ€™t know which particular update caused the problem & there were so many of them that I'm very reluctant to uninstall them all (even if I could without doing a fresh windows install) & then reinstall 1-by-1
I'm out of ideas, so any other suggestion very welcome!