DVD drives not detected after win xp update

vbimport

Athlon 900MHz
384MB RAM
BenQ DVD-ROM (model 16508)
Samsung CD-RW (model SW-208B)

I’m not sure if this is exactly the right forum, but it seemed the most relevant… & apologies in advance about so much detail, but it probably covers some of the questions I’d be asked initially if I didn’t!

So…

I’m fixing up a 10 – 12 year old PC I had lying about. I put XP Pro SP3 on it & everything worked fine until I installed loads of windows updates then both the optical drives disappeared from My Computer & System Info, & in Device Manager now have the yellow circle & ! by them. The Samsung drive is listed by name & model, but the BenQ drive just says DVD-ROM 16X i.e. generic

Device Manager > DVD/CD-ROM drives > drive properties > driver tab > driver details shows the same for both drives:
…system32\ DRIVERS\cdrom.sys
…system32\ DRIVERS\imapi.sys
…system32\ DRIVERS\redbook.sys
…system32\ storprop.dll

I’ve tried:

[ul]
[li]running the add hardware wizard…"…cannot load driver…may be corrupted or missing (code 39)" for both[/li][li]physically removing the drives, rebooting, shutting down, then putting them back in & rebooting – didn’t help[/li][li]deleting them from Device Manager then rebooting – it seemed to work…they reappeared there without the !s, but then a minute later the !s reappeared[/li][li]disabling/re-enabling them[/li][li]uninstalling/reinstalling in Device Manager[/li][li]updating drivers…”no better driver found”[/li][li]rolling back the drivers…”no driver files backed up for this device”[/li][li]I set the CD-ROM as 1st boot device in the BIOS & rebooted with the win XP CD in the drive & the comp started to go into the setup process, so it seemed like the drive was being recognised & working, but doesn’t if I’ve booted from the HDD into windows & put the win XP CD in[/li][/ul]
I don’t know which particular update caused the problem & there were so many of them that I’m very reluctant to uninstall them all (even if I could without doing a fresh windows install) & then reinstall 1-by-1

I’m out of ideas, so any other suggestion very welcome!

TIA
Jeff

i forgot to say - i also already tried uninstalling the primary & secondary IDE channels in device manager & using the cdgone registry patch, neither of which worked
Jeff
:frowning:

Run regedit, go to
HKeyLocalMachine\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}
and check the UpperFilter and LowerFilter values, delete them (or just imapi.sys if you don’t like to delete the entire value), and reboot.

I went to the registry address you specified & couldn’t find anything i recognised as UpperFilter and LowerFilter values…see attached screenshots.

or are they there under another name?

I searched for imapi.sys in the registry in general & found a couple of instances:

HKLM\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Services\Imapi
HKLM\SYSTEM\ControlSet002\idsvc\imapi

maybe there are others too?

but i’m not sure if you mean to delete imapi.sys from the system32 folder or from the registry…if you meant the registry, then where exactly?

thanks

Do NOT delete the imapi.sys file!
In registry you must go to the mentioned hive (i.e. CurrentControlSet), not the ControlSet001, …002, etc. hives, check the key there, whether there are UpperFilter and LowerFilter keys.

@Oinker
i guess i didn’t make it clear in my response post, but i [I]did [/I]go to the hive you mentioned (the screenshots are of that one).

i only mentioned ControlSet001 & 002 because after i looked in the hive you said & didn’t find anything labelled as filterkeys or imapi.sys in there, i then searched for imapi.sys in the rest of the registry & then asked which instance of it you meant i should delete - i knew it would probably be a bad idea to delete the imapi.sys file so thought i’d better check.

any other ideas…?

thanks for your help, it’s much appreciated - i’ve learnt new stuff from it, even if i haven’t got the current problem sorted yet!

Although it partially does the same as you already did manually, please try this Microsoft FixIt:
http://support.microsoft.com/mats/cd_dvd_drive_problems/en-us

[QUOTE=Jeff57;2687494]@Oinker
i guess i didn’t make it clear in my response post, but i [I]did [/I]go to the hive you mentioned (the screenshots are of that one).

i only mentioned ControlSet001 & 002 because after i looked in the hive you said & didn’t find anything labelled as filterkeys or imapi.sys in there, i then searched for imapi.sys in the rest of the registry & then asked which instance of it you meant i should delete - i knew it would probably be a bad idea to delete the imapi.sys file so thought i’d better check.

any other ideas…?

thanks for your help, it’s much appreciated - i’ve learnt new stuff from it, even if i haven’t got the current problem sorted yet![/QUOTE]

Ok, so there are no keys “LowerFilters” and “UpperFilters” at all at the mentioned location (i.e. {4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318} - no 0000. 0001, etc. within that hive)? Also remember to reboot after you removed it from registry.

[QUOTE=Terramex;2687495]Although it partially does the same as you already did manually, please try this Microsoft FixIt:
http://support.microsoft.com/mats/cd_dvd_drive_problems/en-us[/QUOTE]

that didn’t work either…maybe it’s time for the alternative windows strategy…throw it out of a high window & see if it improves it!

[QUOTE=Oinker;2687496]Ok, so there are no … 0000. 0001, etc. within that hive)?[/QUOTE]

yes there are, see the screenshots above

Also remember to reboot after you removed it from registry.
removed [I]what[/I] from the registry? the things you suggested removing weren’t there to remove in the first place

An easy method to remove upper and lower filters is within ImgBurn. ImgBurn is a free, highly recommended burning program.

Download the program from one of these mirrors: http://www.imgburn.com/index.php?act=download

Install it, start the program and click any of the options…Write Files/Folders to Disc will do fine. Then click on Tools–>Filter Driver Load Order. If there are any upper and lower filters installed in the system, they will show up here. Click on any that show up to highlight them, then click on the Remove button. Once removed, reboot the system.

[QUOTE=Jeff57;2687504]yes there are, see the screenshots above

removed [I]what[/I] from the registry? the things you suggested removing weren’t there to remove in the first place[/QUOTE]
Sorry, what I meant is there are no UpperFilters/LowerFilters key in the mentioned {4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318} key at all (see my pic below)?
If there are no UpperFilters/LowerFilter keys, the problem is caused by something else (e.g. drivers for the controller where the optical drives are attached to, etc.).

ok, thanks for the clarification there Oinker.

you say

If there are no UpperFilters/LowerFilter keys, the problem is caused by something else (e.g. drivers for the controller…)
but from what i understand of the function of the filters, isn’t it a problem if the filters [I]aren’t[/I] there?

Also, do you mean the IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers…the primary & secondary IDE channels?

@ Jeff57 , No guarantees on what I’m suggesting.
First if you Google . Which I’m sure you have already done.
You will find the remove upper & lower filters as the main & almost only fix.
If you read some of the posts this may work 30% of the time.
I booted up my old backup computer tha has XP 3 & checked the registry .
It look like yours except I have Lower filters. My drives are detected & everything is working so I have no need to delete the lower filters . This is just to say there isn’t always a problem having filters.

What I think the cause is a corrupted driver. I’m not sure if Windows can correct this but this is what I suggest first. Run the “Error Check”.
My Computer/ right click on the OS drive probably C: / Select Properties/Tools /Error Checking/ Check Now

Now go to Device Manager.
Select each of your CD\DVD drives.
Properties/Driver Then “Uninstall” ( That is uninstall the driver not the Device).
Then OK.
Now reboot. It should run the error check.
Let it complete.
This may fix the bad driver.
If not SFC/ scannow may need to be used but try the above first.