DVD drives for robotic processing of 1000's of disks

vbimport

Hi all,

I am refurbishing an old industrial automated (autoloading) cd burner
to perform the task of bulk disk reading. It can hold 7 5.25" dvd drives.

As I’m more of a robot guy, than a CD drive aficionado, so I am asking for help regarding the drives to purchase.

I need to acquire 6 dvd readers and 1 bluray burner, that will receive disks from a robotic arm.

Primarily, I will be dealing with copying previously burnt data disks back onto hdd’s. (ie recovering old data backups from mid 90s etc).

Secondarily, bulk ripping DVD’s (not for piracy) may become a thing, as the related laws in my country are under review.

The last(7th) drive will be a bluray burner.

I am looking for disk drive recommendations.

My prioritized DVD reader requirements (6 drives).

• Must be good at reading/recovering older / scratched disks and dubious burns (ie not fussy).
  • Must be long lived
    (not die after copying, or ripping a few hundred disks)
  • Must be happy to work 24/7 (I can add cooling)
  • Fast read speed helps, but is not as important as points above.
  • burning is not an issue
  • reading blurays is not important
  • I’m ok with doing firmware & hardware mods to achieve above points.

Note: Not all 6 drives need to be of the same brand, the robot can be configured to try a different drive if one drive can not read a disk properly.

Blu ray burner (1 drive)

• Must be happy to work 24/7 (currently fan cooled)
  • Quality /reliable CD, Audio CD, DVD & Bluray burns.
    (a company/band/studio should be able to give these disks to their customers with confidence)
  • Must be long lived

thanks for any assistance

-Mr Duck

Welcome to the forums Mr. Duck.

The first thing we need to know is how old is this duplicator? Does it require drives with the older style IDE/PATA connectors, or can it use SATA drives?

If it can use SATA, there are still drives that are designed to work in duplicators. One I know of is the Optiarc 5280S-CB-Plus: http://www.amazon.com/Optiarc-Burner-Drive-Overburn-5280S-CB-PLUS/dp/B0086ZU8XK/ It is roughly twice the price of most other SATA DVD burners. And you won’t get much in the way of support from Sony/Optiarc since they have abandoned the optical drive business for the most part. You might be better off with just a regular model from LG, Samsung or Lite-on.

If your duplicator requires an IDE/PATA interface, you won’t find a new Blu-ray burner with that type of connection. You would have to use an adapter, and those are not always reliable. If you can use SATA, then most of us here would recommend a Pioneer Blu-ray burner, like the BDR-209 or BDR-2209 if you would prefer the retail model.

Thanks for the link Kerry.

The duplicator was a very old scsi unit formally used in a national television station.

I ripped out the CPU/controller board, built a new board with an arduino to do just the robotic control. I am developing custom software to operate the drives via a modern Intel i7 PC.

So I can use any interface standard I want… (SATA)

-Mr Duck

On a related note, Is is possible to force a drive to run at a slower speed?
Would this improve the longevity of the device?

-Mr Duck

Is is possible to force a drive to run at a slower speed?

I know you can set a maximum read speed in ImgBurn. I imagine other software can too.

Theoretically, it would definitely improve longevity. Choosing a decent speed–not too fast, not too slow–might also improve the reliability of the whole process.

Of course, I must ask: what drives are available to you that you might know of? I assume you are buying off the internet, which might give you a better chance? Well, LG and Samsung drives have been pretty decent at handling scratched media, and LiteOn’s drives should also be good at correcting errors while reading. Depending on what’s available, we might have to ask folks around the forum to see if they can set individual read speeds, because drive manufacturers occasionally lock read speed to a very narrow range of options that can’t be controlled by software. But like olyteddy said, if the manufacturer does what they’re supposed to do, you can control it in software.

Kerry’s recommendation for a BDR drive is okay by me.

I received a question related to this topic via PM from dadasalam:

im in the MEA
And I Really Cant Find Good DVD Writer Here
I Need Duplication Grade High Quality DVD Writer
Whats Your Suggestion. Please Mention me the model with brand

Plextor 891saw?
Teac ?
NEC?
Lite-on
Pioneer

…Does anyone have any suggestions? (My input to follow)

I am not sure how to answer, because:
-Samsung and LG are still focused on half-height DVDRW drives
-LiteOn may not release many new models (if any) since they have lost interest in the optical drive market. (LiteOn also produces HP and Plextor drives, as well as deals with any lieftover Optiarc parts, & is TEAC’s usual OEM.)
-Pioneer uses QSI for its DVDRW drives. QSI has decent DVDRW drives, but I don’t know if QSI’s drives would be better than Pioneer’s own BDRE drives
-Matshita only does slim drives, so they do not matter in this discussion.
…And I know of no other DVDRW drive producer.

The first question I must ask: [B]what drives are available to you[/B]? That will influence my real answer.

But my generic answer follows…

[B]If you must have a DVDRW drive[/B] (not a Bluray drive):
Old NEC/Optiarc drives would be okay. So maybe the AD-7280 or AD-5280. Some AD-5280S drives are made SPECIFICALLY for duplicators, so it might work. Those 5280S drives may not be the best for writing to CD-R/RW, unfortunately. 7280S might be okay.

The Plextor 891SAW is very similar in quality to those Optiarc drives, because it is built by LiteOn using Optiarc’s technology – like a newer 7280S.

Then maybe LiteOn’s iHAS drives come next as my suggestion. (Plextor and HP drives will be a rebadge of the iHAS drives.)

Samsung’s SH-224DB seems okay, as a third option. Or any half-height Samsung DVDRW drive released in recent years.

Pioneer’s DVR-221 (rebadged QSI) and LG’s GH24NSB0 would be next. If you found any older LG or Pioneer drives, they would be better.

[B]If you can afford to buy BDRE drives[/B], I would prefer a Pioneer BDR-209/208/207 or LG BH16/WH16/BH14/WH14/BH12/WH12 over any of the DVDRW drives.

[QUOTE=Albert;2745513]I am not sure how to answer, because:
-Samsung and LG are still focused on half-height DVDRW drives
-LiteOn may not release many new models (if any) since they have lost interest in the optical drive market. (LiteOn also produces HP and Plextor drives, as well as deals with any lieftover Optiarc parts, & is TEAC’s usual OEM.)
-Pioneer uses QSI for its DVDRW drives. QSI has decent DVDRW drives, but I don’t know if QSI’s drives would be better than Pioneer’s own BDRE drives
-Matshita only does slim drives, so they do not matter in this discussion.
…And I know of no other DVDRW drive producer.

The first question I must ask: [B]what drives are available to you[/B]? That will influence my real answer.

But my generic answer follows…

[B]If you must have a DVDRW drive[/B] (not a Bluray drive):
Old NEC/Optiarc drives would be okay. So maybe the AD-7280 or AD-5280. Some AD-5280S drives are made SPECIFICALLY for duplicators, so it might work. Those 5280S drives may not be the best for writing to CD-R/RW, unfortunately. 7280S might be okay.

The Plextor 891SAW is very similar in quality to those Optiarc drives, because it is built by LiteOn using Optiarc’s technology – like a newer 7280S.

Then maybe LiteOn’s iHAS drives come next as my suggestion. (Plextor and HP drives will be a rebadge of the iHAS drives.)

Samsung’s SH-224DB seems okay, as a third option. Or any half-height Samsung DVDRW drive released in recent years.

Pioneer’s DVR-221 (rebadged QSI) and LG’s GH24NSB0 would be next. If you found any older LG or Pioneer drives, they would be better.

[B]If you can afford to buy BDRE drives[/B], I would prefer a Pioneer BDR-209/208/207 or LG BH16/WH16/BH14/WH14/BH12/WH12 over any of the DVDRW drives.[/QUOTE]

Thanks For Answer. Everything Is Availble Because I Can Import Everything

So From What You Said
The Plextor 891SAW IS The Best Duplication Grade DVD Writer ?
Am I Right?

Too bad the supply of “new” Optiarc AD-7200S drives dried up on ebay. That would be where I’d head if they were still available.

[QUOTE=Stereodude;2745523]Too bad the supply of “new” Optiarc AD-7200S drives dried up on ebay. That would be where I’d head if they were still available.[/QUOTE]

DRU-V200S drives are still available on eBay, and they crossflash quite nicely into AD-7200S drives.

Maybe you can find Sony DRU-V200S/Optiarc AD-7200S drives instead of Plextor 891SAW drives, dadasalam? If you can find them, they will probably be better.

See if you can find any Optiarc AD-5280S (or AD-7280S). Not as well loved round here as the AD-7200, but more likely to be available. Vinpower seems to still have a stock of the AD-5280S, including a modified version for robotic autoloaders.

[QUOTE=Albert;2745513]Those 5280S drives may not be the best for writing to CD-R/RW, unfortunately. 7280S might be okay.
[/QUOTE]
I haven’t had any issue with the writing quality of my AD-5280S drives (1st generation). Their writing quality, CD-R in particular, has been most satisfactory - not that different to my 7200s and much better than an AD-7261S I had a few years ago. There should be no difference between the writing quality between the 5280 & 7280 (I certainly haven’t noticed any since 2 of my 5280 magically became a 7280 & 7283), just the lack of DVD-Ram writing.

But some members have certainly had poor results from their 5280 drives. IIRC, these were all the 2nd generation version (mostly the PLUS variant). Not all drives were affected, Mike was very happy with his.

[QUOTE=Ibex;2745568]See if you can find any Optiarc AD-5280S (or AD-7280S). Not as well loved round here as the AD-7200, but more likely to be available. Vinpower seems to still have a stock of the AD-5280S, including a modified version for robotic autoloaders.

I haven’t had any issue with the writing quality of my AD-5280S drives (1st generation). Their writing quality, CD-R in particular, has been most satisfactory - not that different to my 7200s and much better than an AD-7261S I had a few years ago. There should be no difference between the writing quality between the 5280 & 7280 (I certainly haven’t noticed any since 2 of my 5280 magically became a 7280 & 7283), just the lack of DVD-Ram writing.

But some members have certainly had poor results from their 5280 drives. IIRC, these were all the 2nd generation version (mostly the PLUS variant). Not all drives were affected, Mike was very happy with his.[/QUOTE]

The Fact Is I am Representative of Vinpower in my Country I Import From Them .
But
The Ad-5280S Is Not NEC chipset anymore It Is Renesas because vinpower overtake the technology of that writer and they call it CB drive not optiarc or sony or etc…

but they replaced the chipset
it has higher price than px891saw
so
we finally reached to ad-5280s and px891saw ,
i have near to 100 pcs of the 5280s brand new
i only had sell them but never use them on duplicator
i have one on my pc
sony shutdown optiarc section i think not be able to find ad-7200 maybe so old stock

ok Thanks For Suggestions dears

The Renesas chip in the AD-5280S/7280S is unrelated to previous Renesas chips (as used in many LG drives). It is an NEC chip in all but name, as confirmed by our resident NEC expert[B] Liggy[/B].

The drive behaves like an NEC-based drive (scanning, read offset). It was designed by NEC before they sold that part of their business to Renesas.

The same is true of the Renesas chip in the Plextor PX-891SAW. But by that time Sony had sold the whole Optiarc business to Lite-On.

Chipset comparisons and differences?

Renesas Electronics vs. Renesas Technology…

Renesas Technology merged with NEC Electronics to form Renesas Electronics.