DVD drive

vbimport

I have a HP Pavilion ZD8181EA - the DVD/RW drive wont recognize DVD-R (the drive can read and write + and - R and RW). I have tested the media on other laptops and they recognise them. I have cleaned the drive with a lens cleaner. Is the drive on its way out?, thanks

I gotta say that I’m not really sure but it does sound like it since you said other drives do recognise it
I will say that I had a hp drive with light scribe and it didn’t kast over about 7 mos and it started giving me these same problems
I’ll tell you if you enjoy doing a lot of burning grab an optiarc AD-7200A from here it is very cheap and has excellent burn quality and long lasting for me and is a high recommended drive

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827118011

if you have (S)ata then go for the AD-7200S

seroiusly you will love this drive and look $21.00 free shipping!!

@ fishing1506,

Welcome to the Forum.

You have provided the Name/Model Number of your Hewlett-Packard notebook/laptop Computer but failed to provide the Name/Model of the particular Drive installed in your HP Pavilion ZD8181EA notebook/laptop Computer which makes it difficult to provide any meaningful assistance to correct your problem.

Have you visited Hewlett-Packard’s support Web Site and ensured that your undisclosed Drive has the newest most current up to date available Firmware installed in your Drive?

Provide the Media MID (Manufacture ID and Media Code) (Example: TYG02) of the DVD-R Media you are experiencing problems with. To obtain the Media MID (Manufacture ID and Media Code) (Example: TYG02) of the DVD-R Media you are experiencing problems suggest using a utility program similar to DVDInfo (http://www.dvdinfopro.com).

Regards,
bjkg

PS – A note of caution - An Optiarc AD-7200A IDE DVD Burner as suggested by Form Member jcusimano2 in posting #2 will not fix/work in your HP Pavilion ZD8181EA notebook/laptop Computer.

hi - apologies, and thanks for the advice. Its a TSSTcorp DVD/DW TS-L532L, I will check the firmware. I can burn DVD/RW and sometimes burn DVD+R. Media is Maxell