DVD drive won't register DVDs

I have a TSSTCorp CDW/DVD TS-H492A and for some time now it has only been able to read CDs, not DVDs as it should be able to. I know that originally it worked fine, but I’m pretty clueless when it comes to the reasoning behind this sort of stuff. This site came up on Google so I wonder if anyone could help me out? Would be nice to be able to play DVD games again… :frowning:

Edit: Forgot to mention that it doesn’t even realise that there is a disc there at all. No error messages or anything. It tries to read it but comes out with nothing, still saying the drive is empty.

Hi and welcome to the forum :slight_smile:

DVD burners have two separate lasers for CD and DVD discs. If you have problems only with DVD, probably the optical pickup is damaged.

If you can’t do a RMA, then you need a new drive.

To exclude a software problem, you can do a little test. Boot from a DVD media with a live distro of linux (you can find many free distro also in some journals, and don’t worry: LIVE distributions don’t install anything but run from the media): if your computer boot from the DVD media, then your problem is somewhere in windows, and a fresh install should solve anything.

If you can’t do the boot, then probably your drive is damaged.