DVD drive wont reconise DVDR-

vbimport

Hello, I have had a look around and I think I am writing in the right place, apologies if I am not.

I hope someone can help me with my DVD drive problem.

I have a Dell 1501 inspiron with a PBDS DVD±RW DS-8W1P ATA device CD/DVD writer installed.

Recently it has stopped recognizing blank DVDs. When a disc is inserted it makes a noise like its spinning the disc then a clunk and the spinning noise stops, it then spins and clunks again. This repeats indefinitely, or until i open the drive and take out the disc.

The thing that is confusing me is that it still recognises written DVDs, both bought ones and ones that were previously blank and I wrote on that drive.

There is no problem with either blank or written CDs.

I havent changed DVD make, I was halfway through a spindle of TDK -R dvd’s when the problem arose, having burnt around 20 successful DVD’s from that batch which work in that drive. I havnt tried another brand yet, will do that tomorrow.

I think I have downloaded all the relevant drivers and windows is upto date. I am running Vista Home Premium 32bit ( I think)

I performed the Fix-it automatic problem resolver twice, once inserting a blank DVD and once with a blank CD. With the DVD it said the media wasn’t writable but everything else was OK. With the CD it said there was no problem.

Can anyone suggest anything apart from new DVD brand (I have been cheap and not wanted to buy more when I have 25 blank ones sitting there).

Thanks

Welcome to the forum :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=scotoz;2493257]

Can anyone suggest anything apart from new DVD brand (I have been cheap and not wanted to buy more when I have 25 blank ones sitting there).
[/QUOTE]

Personally…nope. Since it is fine with burned and pressed DVD media (which would indicate the DVD laser is fine), and the one thing you haven’t tried is in fact a different brand, that would be the first thing I would do in your shoes. :wink:

The thing is with TDK discs, is that they can be made by any one of about half a dozen different manufacturers - some good quality, some bad, and some just plain variable in quality. And by that, I mean while some discs from a spindle may burn fine, others may either burn badly or not at all.

Trying a known good quality brand would be what I’d recommend. Preferably Verbatim for an all-round safe bet, but if something like Sony is cheaper or easier to find, then by all means try those. :slight_smile:

EDIT:

With the DVD it said the media wasn’t writable but everything else was OK. With the CD it said there was no problem.

Do you have Daemon Tools, Alcohol, or any other virtual drive software installed? If so, don’t do anything just yet, but please list them.

You can try deleting the upper and lower driver filters (link in Arachne’s signature).