DVD drive won't recognize/play certain disc

vbimport

Hello everyone. I have an external LG 22x Super Multi Dual Layer DVD Burner that has been working fine until today. I just purchased the drive in May. I burned a copy of one of my store-bought DVDs on a dual-layered DVD successfully (via DVD Fab 6). I played it on my PS3, even watched the entire movie with no problem. Then I took it out the PS3 and thought I should see if it would play in the LG drive. The disc (Windata 8x DVD+R DL disc) would not load nor be recognized by the LG drive nor does my internal Sony DVD drive (shows a disc is in the drive via drive explorer, but no files show when you try to click on it.)

After trying the dual layer DVD in both drives, I can still play store-bought DVDs in both DVD drives, and I can still play DVD copies on single-layer DVD (Memorex 8x DVD-R) in the Sony drive. But the burned single-layer DVD copies are no longer being read by the LG drive. I could play store-bought DVDs and copied DVDs before I tried to play the dual-layered DVD copy I mentioned earlier.

I deleted the hardware from windows via Hardware manager and installed it again after rebooting Windows XP Professional. I even searched for the latest drivers and it appears I already have them. The computer is a Sony VIAO and both drives are after-market and relatively new.

Please help if anyone is able. If the DVD played in my PS3, I’m not sure why it wouldn’t play in either computer drive to begin with, or why it would cause single-layer copies to no longer be read. My apologies for the length but didn’t want to leave anything out.

Thanks.

I’m not sure I have a solution for your problem. It could be that the LG is a fairly poor reader to begin with. Part of the problem may be that you are using particularly poor quality double layer dvds. (we recommend Verbatim brand +R DL media)

You can try cleaning the lens on the drive and see if that helps.

That “Windata 8x DVD+R DL disc” media is probably the real issue.

I have to agree with others here, it most likely the poor quality DVD+RDL that your using. After burning a disc its a good habit to do a quality scan just to see if the speed your burning at produces good results. You can get Nero DiscSpeed HERE, its free. Optionally you can get Opti drive control, its not free though. You can then post a screen shots of a transfer test and disc quality test here if you want feedback.

[QUOTE=thatwdbme;2643377]Hello everyone. I have an external LG 22x Super Multi Dual Layer DVD Burner that has been working fine until today. I just purchased the drive in May. I burned a copy of one of my store-bought DVDs on a dual-layered DVD successfully (via DVD Fab 6). I played it on my PS3, even watched the entire movie with no problem. Then I took it out the PS3 and thought I should see if it would play in the LG drive. The disc (Windata 8x DVD+R DL disc) would not load nor be recognized by the LG drive nor does my internal Sony DVD drive (shows a disc is in the drive via drive explorer, but no files show when you try to click on it.)

After trying the dual layer DVD in both drives, I can still play store-bought DVDs in both DVD drives, and I can still play DVD copies on single-layer DVD (Memorex 8x DVD-R) in the Sony drive. But the burned single-layer DVD copies are no longer being read by the LG drive. I could play store-bought DVDs and copied DVDs before I tried to play the dual-layered DVD copy I mentioned earlier.

I deleted the hardware from windows via Hardware manager and installed it again after rebooting Windows XP Professional. I even searched for the latest drivers and it appears I already have them. The computer is a Sony VIAO and both drives are after-market and relatively new.

Please help if anyone is able. If the DVD played in my PS3, I’m not sure why it wouldn’t play in either computer drive to begin with, or why it would cause single-layer copies to no longer be read. My apologies for the length but didn’t want to leave anything out.

Thanks.[/QUOTE]

had same issue only with a different brand my buddy did a firmware update and it is now going strong EDIT and for the record it was only with DL disc that i was having the problem with if this is your case i recommend seeing if you have the latest firmware NOT drivers.

maybe you could try connecting the drives to another pc and see if the issue persists…

Drives can be inexpensive. Over years I have found that it is helpful to have different drives from different makers.

I have experience with ripping of audiobook CD’s from library, and the quality varies much on media. Pioneer is good burner but not so good reader for me. Benq was excellent burn quality. Sony Optiarc seems best for ripping and good for burning.

I have bad luck with HP and LG and Samsung over years depending on model.

For Blu-Ray I find Pioneer to be very good.

For DVD and CD, Sony Optiarc is best for me.

I also have best luck with internal drive. Firewire 1394 and USB 2 are problems often depending on software used.

[QUOTE=MISFIT—420;2650244]had same issue only with a different brand my buddy did a firmware update and it is now going strong EDIT and for the record it was only with DL disc that i was having the problem with if this is your case i recommend seeing if you have the latest firmware NOT drivers.[/QUOTE]
I have this problem as well. I’m not sure what you mean by seeing if I have the latest firmware (not drivers). How do I discover if I have the latest firmware for my cd dvd drive?

Find out which drive you have with which firmware on, by either checking drive properties or by using tools like nero driveinfo, discinfo, dvdinfopro etc.
THEN either check the manufacturers support site or rpc1 or firmwarehq…

[QUOTE=chef;2646682]That “Windata 8x DVD+R DL disc” media is probably the real issue.[/QUOTE]

Really I been using it for the past 3 years without any problems beyond a few mad press here an there and occasional pressing eject by mistake… I played them back on laptop and deskstop and standalone without any problems on my side. I think it has more to do with how are they burning are they just burning or multitasking on the same computer? If so the later then they can expect problems in the burns even if it reported no errors. So we need to know how are they really doing the burning process and what speed are they using? Max burns don’t favor quality burns that work well other then Coasters. I used Windata at 2-2.4x settings on my various LiteOn and on my new BD liteOn 212 without much problem as well as my Laptop liteon Burners work just fine. And the end copy works just like the original. If the users doesn’t realize at this point in time copy and burning is Computer resource intensive process for both read and burning then they haven’t invest enough time to get to know the process better and will continue to make coasters into the foreseeable future.