DVD Drive won't read DVDs

Hello Friends,

I am quite new in this forum and this is my first post.

I have a HL-DT-ST DVD±RW GWA4164B drive that came with a Dell Optiplex GX620. I have been using it for nearly two years now and had no problems since now.

My DVD drive stopped recognizing/reading DVDs, although it can read any kind of CDs. I tried almost everything -firmware updating etc.- and those didn’t solve my problem. I don’t think i get to find a decent answer for my problem in other people’s posts about DVD-ROM errors.

Would be great if someone helped.

Welcome to our forum, Kasatka!

Yes, welcome. :slight_smile:

Did you make any recent software changes on the system?

In the worst case scenario, it may be that the DVD part of the drive is dead [generally can’t be fixed]. It may be time for a new drive.

I didn’t do any software changes in my system.

I installed Medal of Honor Airborne two weeks ago, and i didnt even use my drive since a week ago. So something must have happened in that 7 days period.

So my only chance is buying a new drive?

Sorry if any grammar mistakes, English is not my first language :wink:

Is your only chance buying a new drive? Not necessarily.

When you insert a disc, what does the drive do? Does it just flash its LED and never sound like it’s spinning up the disc? Or does it spin up the disc like normal?

Also, do you have another computer into which you could install the drive? This would help ensure that there are no software conflicts, and leave the blame on the drive itself if it was to fail.

BTW: Your English is very good. :iagree:

When i insert the DVD into the Drive, the Drive keeps flashing its light (the little green light under the disc tray, if you call that “LED” :D) and it just makes a couple of noises like it is going to start spinning up the DVD, and nothing happens. And after like 15 20 seconds it gives up (the little light turns off) .

Edit: Unfortunately, i dont have another PC to try the Drive on.