DVD Drive won't read Blank DVD's

vbimport

My Windows XP laptop, which says it can read CD/DVD-R/RW, can’t seem to read any of the TDK 4x Data/Video DVD-RWs that I’ve recently purchased. You’ve probably seen this many times before, but could you please give me some tips on solving the problem. I presume seeing if they work on another pc is the first thing to do, however I won’t be able to do that for a few hours, and the fact that more than one of the DVDs isnt working suggests its a hardware as opposed to a DVD problem.

If its useful, I have Sonic DigitalMedia (which came free with the laptop) for burning.

Simple it [B]can’t[/B] read a blank DVD at all as there is nothing on it to read.

Sorry, wrong phrasing - it doesnt recognise a disk as being in the drive. Same when I try to copy stuff onto it - I get the message “please insert disk”

How do you mean by copy stuff to the disc? Unless using some sort of packet writing softwear, In-CD for example you cant just copy stuff over, that is the area of DVD-RAM. You need to use a burning application like Nero or Roxio to burn data onto the disc. I am not trying to be picky but it helps us to try and find the problem.

Therefore we need a lot more information to help:
Make and model of drive (should be listed in the burning app itself)
The steps you are following before you get the error message
Whether you have tried different software (Nero for example) and if the same problem arises
Does the media work in another PC, a test you already know about,
Does the drive recognise and work with different media
If possible the MID of the discs (download Nero CD-DVD speed and the information will be in the disc info tab you should see a line with letters and number for example TYG03, G05, MCC004 etc)
What are you trying to burn (no need to be specific iso, backing up a DVD, data for back up)

I am sure others can think of more tbut this will get us started.

Exactly, use a proper burning app to be able TO BURN something on dvd media.

when I load a blank dvd-r into the drive pc reads as drive d but it wont access it at all to bring up a recording program.Im using Nero 6 and it wont load when blank disc is inserted it wont do anything!

It won’t because you need to open Nero or any other dvd burning tool…

hate to tell yall all this but its not my first time with a burner.I had a lite on last year different model.and everytime I stuck a blank recording disc wether dvd or cd it open up the right program.and nero only sees the drive as a cd r drive. Im lost and need help. and to the other guys post I do know wat ya mean bout ya pc not recognizing recording media Im having same issues man.Dunno people play to know if they dont.Its pretty simple the way ya put it dunno why no one else understands wat ya sayin but me.what he is saying is the blank recording media he inserts the drive dont see nothin there.I had one in my drive and tried manually opening it and it says drve d not assecible. and deleting the filters dont help in my situation.so if anyone has #'s to Liteon tha be my best help…thank you!

by the way I hve like 3 diiferent programs.Tried em all and they dont do anything either so its not the software.

Install cdburnerxp or imgburn and try to burn something.

What are these 3 different programs? Might be handy to know in case there’s a conflict somewhere.

I am having a similar problem. Everytime I insert a blank dvd into my dvd rom the light flahes for a while then remains on constantly and no burning program can access the dvd. When i click on the dvd drive icon in my computer i get the error message “the request could not be performed because of an I/O device error”. The player reads dvds and cds normally though. My dvd rom is matshita DVD-RAM UJ-841S. It was fine a couple of days ago. Can anyone help?

Hey arachne and chef, you seem to solve so many other problems in this forum. but here you are not able to understand the problem. The problem is the drive cannot recognise the blank dvd is inserted(not reading, since no data in it), morever if you go to my computer and check the properties of the disc in drive, its says o bytes free and o bytes used(I can understand o bytes used since its a blank disc but what is 0 bytes free, its should 4.4 gb free or something). And when you open a burning application and try to burn the disc it say no disc, i dont understand.

Addition: dvd disc which i wrote two weeks back, the drive read it aswell nor recognises it. IN short drives niether recognise blank dvd nor reads written dvds except commercial movie dvd.

anybody got any solutions to this problem?

Try to access them in SAFE MODE.
Remove softwares like itunes, daemon tools, virtual drives softwares.
Also remove the Upper & lower filters.

I have a similar problem that has very recently emerged. Running Win2K with a Verbatim CD-RW 321240AL and a LiteOn DH20A4P DVD-RW. This system has worked well for many months as both readers and writers (burners), but now the drives are recognized only as ROM drives. (If you inspect Properties for each drive, there is no Recording Tab. Also, the drivers that Win2K loads are CD-ROM drivers from 1999.) The problem is that Windows no longer recognizes these drives as writable. I’ve tried just about everything (including removing upper and lower filters in the registry entry) with no success. Confounds me how this occurred out of the clear blue! Can’t remember having changed or installing anything.

Any suggestions?

[QUOTE=JayC30;1446732]Simple it [B]can’t[/B] read a blank DVD at all as there is nothing on it to read.[/QUOTE]
hey there i was doing a wedding for a couple and i had the same problem with my liteon hd a740gx not read any blanks of brand at all so i took the top off and inside i took the top case off dvd drive and found out that it was pure filth with dirt so i got some laser cleaning solution and clean the eye with a qtip and tunred the qtip on its dry side to finish cleaning …plus I use a lube that its for the motor shafts that spins the dvds around ,greased them very carefully and put the top back on and way to go!!
all my dvds detected like a charm…
sony dvd-r
sony dvd+r
tdk dvd-r
tdk dvd+r
kodak dvd-r and +
memorex same thing
etc…
id say thats you trouble not reading blanks …
hope this helps…

Start reading the post before you reply!

[B]An optical disc drive cannot read BLANKS because there is nothing on them to read![/B]

[QUOTE=vinny321;2617880]hey there i was doing a wedding for a couple and i had the same problem with my liteon hd a740gx not read any blanks of brand at all so i took the top off and inside i took the top case off dvd drive and found out that it was pure filth with dirt so i got some laser cleaning solution and clean the eye with a qtip and tunred the qtip on its dry side to finish cleaning …plus I use a lube that its for the motor shafts that spins the dvds around ,greased them very carefully and put the top back on and way to go!!
all my dvds detected like a charm…
sony dvd-r
sony dvd+r
tdk dvd-r
tdk dvd+r
kodak dvd-r and +
memorex same thing
etc…
id say thats you trouble not reading blanks …
hope this helps…[/QUOTE]

Wow – honestly, you are all smarting than this.
Yes, a CD/DVD burner does “read” or detect blank disks - or how would it know there is one in the tray. This problem shows up all the time. You are using a burning program and you put in blank media, and the program won’t recognize it and won’t continue. Nero actually ejects the blank media and tells you you haven’t inserted a proper type of blank disk. For me, uninstalling Daemon Tools solved the problem last time this happened.

Nottoman , It’s good you found the problem for your OS. It usually is a software or corrupted file that causes this .
It can be a dirty drive as vinny321 posted .
It can also be the drive that can’t read a certain brand & age disc because it has firmware that won’t read the MID.
So there are several causes.
I have found IsoBuster handy for looking at a disc with data on it that Windows Explorer doesn’t recognize as having data on it.

[QUOTE=Nottoman;2625891]Wow – honestly, you are all smarting than this.
Yes, a CD/DVD burner does “read” or detect blank disks - or how would it know there is one in the tray. This problem shows up all the time. You are using a burning program and you put in blank media, and the program won’t recognize it and won’t continue. Nero actually ejects the blank media and tells you you haven’t inserted a proper type of blank disk. For me, uninstalling Daemon Tools solved the problem last time this happened.[/QUOTE]

You didnt get it after all.

You wrote “READ”, now you write “read or detect”…
Reading is something else than detecting, without doubt.

What did I wrote in my post dated “04-01-2009 16:57”?

So, seems that you never read the other posts anyway.