DVD Drive will not read discs (DVD or CD) after Windows 8.1 Upgrade

vbimport

I have just upgraded my Lenovo B570 notebook form Windows 7 to Windows 8.1 PRO. Since then the DVD drive will not read any DVD or CD. The device is shown in Device Manager as Optiarc DVD RW AD-7710H. Driver shows as cdrom.sys, version 6.3.9600.16384. When the DVD is inserted it whirs for a while but doesn’t read the disc. I’ve tried the FixIT’s on the MS website and the recommended Regedit stuff, updated driver, uninstalled and reinstalled, scanned for hardware changes but nothing has worked.
So I then tried an external USB Samsung SE-S084F and exactly the same although when the disc is inserted it whirred briefly and the device kept disappearing and then reappearing in Device Manager. Very odd.
Any help and suggestions welcome. I’m struggling.

Do you have updated drivers for your motherboard installed for 8.1? The motherboard drivers usually contain the SATA controller drivers, which is how the optical drive is connected.

[QUOTE=Kerry56;2741819]Do you have updated drivers for your motherboard installed for 8.1? The motherboard drivers usually contain the SATA controller drivers, which is how the optical drive is connected.[/QUOTE]
Yes, I have the latest I believe from the Lenovo support pages.

I don’t have Windows 8.1 & I don’t plan to.

This sometimes works on older Windows OSs .
Install Virtual CloneDrive from slysoft .
If it doesn’t work & you don’t need a virtual drive just uninstall it.
What I think it does & I’ve had it & other slysoft products installed a long time so I’m not sure about this . It installs the “AnyDVD.sys” driver .

Do you happen to have iTunes installed? This program will often times screw up optical drives. Though it shouldn’t affect usb.

I couldn’t find Windows 8 or 8.1 chipset drivers at the Lenovo site for the B570 laptop.

[QUOTE=Kerry56;2741837]Do you happen to have iTunes installed? This program will often times screw up optical drives. Though it shouldn’t affect usb.

I couldn’t find Windows 8 or 8.1 chipset drivers at the Lenovo site for the B570 laptop.[/QUOTE]
No, I had to use the Windows 7 64 bit Chipset download, there doesn’t seem to be a Windows 8.1 version. I do have Itunes installed. Should I uninstall and try it?

Uninstalling iTunes is something to try, but also something of a long shot.

I still think your basic problem is an incompatibility for the chipset drivers. You might have to install drivers for the components from other sources, like directly from Intel for whichever chipset is in your motherboard.

[QUOTE=Kerry56;2741840]Uninstalling iTunes is something to try, but also something of a long shot.

I still think your basic problem is an incompatibility for the chipset drivers. You might have to install drivers for the components from other sources, like directly from Intel for whichever chipset is in your motherboard.[/QUOTE]
I uninstalled iTunes and downloaded and installed the latest Intel chipset device software from Intel website using the Intel Driver Update Utility v10.0.13 but no luck.

[QUOTE=cholla;2741823]I don’t have Windows 8.1 & I don’t plan to.

This sometimes works on older Windows OSs .
Install Virtual CloneDrive from slysoft .
If it doesn’t work & you don’t need a virtual drive just uninstall it.
What I think it does & I’ve had it & other slysoft products installed a long time so I’m not sure about this . It installs the “AnyDVD.sys” driver .[/QUOTE]
Thanks for the suggestio. Tried this but unfortunately didn’t work.

There are only so many options to try, and you’ve done most of them apparently. The registry fix is the most common one that works.

Windows 8/8.1 has an option for Refreshing the operating system without touching any installed programs. This might be something to try in this situation.

[QUOTE=jimsouthern;2741812]I have just upgraded my Lenovo B570 notebook form Windows 7 to Windows 8.1 PRO. Since then the DVD drive will not read any DVD or CD. The device is shown in Device Manager as Optiarc DVD RW AD-7710H. Driver shows as cdrom.sys, version 6.3.9600.16384. When the DVD is inserted it whirs for a while but doesn’t read the disc. I’ve tried the FixIT’s on the MS website and the recommended Regedit stuff, updated driver, uninstalled and reinstalled, scanned for hardware changes but nothing has worked.
So I then tried an external USB Samsung SE-S084F and exactly the same although when the disc is inserted it whirred briefly and the device kept disappearing and then reappearing in Device Manager. Very odd.
Any help and suggestions welcome. I’m struggling.[/QUOTE]
hi windows 8.1 upgrade has lots of problem. a straight install of windows 8.1 most time is the ideal way to go.

This appears to be a known problem. The Lenovo Forums have some suggestions at [B]this [/B]link.

Just found a supposed fix for this issue. [B]FIX LINK[/B] [B]Caution[/B], I do not know this site so if they ask for a payment so you can get the required driver, [B]DO NOT PAY[/B]. Make a Restore Point BEFORE installing the Utility software to facilitate easier removal of the software in case it is crap.

Mods, please remove the above link if the site supplies sux. Ta.