DVD drive sees movies as blank cd's. Restart fixes. Help!

I have been having a very frustrating problem. After using the computer for a while, if I insert a movie (or any DVD), the drive label changes to read “CD Drive” and when I double click, it treats it like a blank writable disk. This is a universal problem, and when it happens it effects all the optical drives on the system. I have seen this on several of my other computers, which have combo’s of a single DVD drive, and a CDRW drive. The virtual drive is also effected, whether it is a virtual drive from Deamon Tools, Alcohol, or any other software.

Also, if I turn off the cd writing ability of Windows XP Pro SP2 on these drives, then it says “Please insert a disk into drive” instead of offering to drag and drop data. The key thing is it changes the label from “DVD-RAM Drive” or “DVD Drive” into “CD Drive” when the DVD is inserted.

The only fix is to reboot the system. On some systems rebooting doesn’t fix it, and then I’m stuck w/o an optical drive. I have had this problem a long time now, and I’d like to solve it.

What do you think is causing my system to treat all optical media as blank disks? Has anyone else seen this?

First get rid of the virtual drive. Then unitstall all drives in the device manager then reboot system. You can simply create drop folder on your desktop without the useless virtual drive! As for the icon changing when a cd/dvd is entered? This is not a problem and is quite usual of windows XP to do this. But please do the above steps and see if this helps, good luck!

[QUOTE=THE C.;1969060]First get rid of the virtual drive. Then unitstall all drives in the device manager then reboot system. You can simply create drop folder on your desktop without the useless virtual drive! As for the icon changing when a cd/dvd is entered? This is not a problem and is quite usual of windows XP to do this. But please do the above steps and see if this helps, good luck![/QUOTE]

I already tried removing the virtual drives, then uninstalling all the other optical drives, then rebooting. This did not help.

It is quite usual for windows to treat non-writable media as blank writable media, and that is not a problem? Are you serious?

[QUOTE=NetTechie;1968853]I have been having a very frustrating problem. After using the computer for a while, if I insert a movie (or any DVD), the drive label changes to read “CD Drive” and when I double click, it treats it like a blank writable disk. This is a universal problem, and when it happens it effects all the optical drives on the system. I have seen this on several of my other computers, which have combo’s of a single DVD drive, and a CDRW drive. The virtual drive is also effected, whether it is a virtual drive from Deamon Tools, Alcohol, or any other software.

Also, if I turn off the cd writing ability of Windows XP Pro SP2 on these drives, then it says “Please insert a disk into drive” instead of offering to drag and drop data. The key thing is it changes the label from “DVD-RAM Drive” or “DVD Drive” into “CD Drive” when the DVD is inserted.

The only fix is to reboot the system. On some systems rebooting doesn’t fix it, and then I’m stuck w/o an optical drive. I have had this problem a long time now, and I’d like to solve it.

What do you think is causing my system to treat all optical media as blank disks? Has anyone else seen this?[/QUOTE]

“It” is the crap explorer only, no one needs to rely on that buggy software.
Icons change, nothing about the drives or their capabilities.

Maybe I didn’t explain myself properly, I appologize.

The cd writing and explorer label change are a symptom. The problem is that no software knows there is a disc in the drive. Windows Media Player Classic has the “Open Disc” choice grayed out, for example, when a DVD is inserted. There is no way to browse the disk, as explorer doesn’t know there is a disc with data in it in the drive. This can also be an issue with games that require the DVD to be inserted. The game wont launch as it doesn’t think you have the disc in the drive, even though it is there. Rebooting fixes the issue usually, so it is not that the DVD is a bad disc. Changing discs doesn’t help the problem either. It is a crippling issue, not a minor annoyance.

The correct behavior is that the name of the disc shown in explorer changes to the label of the DVD, and it can be read by media software.

Then that is a software or driver problem issued by 3rd party software or crapped drivers.

Most times Alcohol software & Daemon Tools are the troublemakers.

How can I purge my system of all these 3rd party drivers?

Note that I checked the drives, and they are all running the microsoft drivers.

Uninstall all ide channels in devicemanager, then restart.

Also, delete the Upper & lower filters, se my sig.