DVD drive...seems to give up?

vbimport

Hi.
I’ve been having a problem with a relatively new laptop’s CD/DVD drive. I have done everything I can think of and am at my wits end.

For normal use, my Matshita UJ-860s works fine. It has no problems identifying disks and even running them. Up to a point. I have been trying to upgrade to Windows 7 from Vista for a long time, but the drive just seems to give up halfway through and will start to spin then stop, then repeat that forever with no progress. I have tried to install other things from CDs/DVDs and it seems to do this with each one. The weird thing is it will go through some of it, but once the program isn’t using it as much and will allow the drive to stop for a second(option choosing, or other things), it never starts back up again.

The drive is in a Asus M50sa laptop, which I have tried already to restore to factory settings, update drivers(can’t find any), update firmware, pretty much anything I can think of.

There is also a “ILED YRC9Q3S56 CDROM Device” which I have no clue what it is, as there are not two drives on this laptop and I can’t find this anywhere on google. When I disabled this through the device manager, the Matshita would install things about 1/4 of the way further than with is enabled, but still will not finish.

I have no clue what is going on, so if anyone has any clue what is happening, I would greatly appreciate it. :bow:

Hi and welcome to the forum :slight_smile:

If I understood correctly, the drive is working with some discs but not with all. Do you have malfunctioning with burned discs only or also with pressed discs?

If the problem is only with burned discs, then the most probable culprit is the disc itself.

Hi, and thanks.

Actually, it works with all disks, just not for long. I meant that most disks I do not have to use for long, but things which require a lot of time(installing a large game or upgrading OS) it just gives up on. This is happening on retail disks. It actually seems to work better on burned disks.
I’ve tried with installing large programs through the computer(no disks) and they install fine so I am pretty sure it is the drive itself, but as far as I know, it is impossible to replace laptop DVD drives, correct?

Laptop drives can be replaced actually, the problem is that are not cheap :doh:

Maybe is cheaper to get an external drive :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=llama165;2513153]Hi.
There is also a [B]“ILED YRC9Q3S56 CDROM Device”[/B] which I have no clue what it is, as there are not two drives on this laptop and I can’t find this anywhere on google. When I disabled this through the device manager, the Matshita would install things about 1/4 of the way further than with is enabled, but still will not finish.

I have no clue what is going on, so if anyone has any clue what is happening, I would greatly appreciate it. :bow:[/QUOTE]

Some kind of virtual drive.

Is Alcohol installed?