DVD drive running slowly and defectively

Ok so my DVD drive is reading discs really slow (like a standard DL disc only reads at ~3600 KB/s), and when I burn a disc, it takes a long time or dies halfway through. Same behavior for CDs, DVDs…

The program doesn’t matter. Nero, PowerDVD, DVD-Shrink…

I have tried the following: replaced the DVD drive with a totally different one (the new one is a TSSTcorp SH-S202G, don’t recall what the old one was). I have replaced the power supply (the old being a 400W Rosewill, the new being a 600W Coolmax).

Oh yeah I also tried deleting the Primary and Secondary IDE Channels.

Guh, help.

[QUOTE=Weaseal;1963518]Ok so my DVD drive is reading discs really slow (like a standard DL disc only reads at ~3600 KB/s), and when I burn a disc, it takes a long time or dies halfway through. Same behavior for CDs, DVDs…

The program doesn’t matter. Nero, PowerDVD, DVD-Shrink…

I have tried the following: replaced the DVD drive with a totally different one (the new one is a TSSTcorp SH-S202G, don’t recall what the old one was). I have replaced the power supply (the old being a 400W Rosewill, the new being a 600W Coolmax).

Oh yeah I also tried deleting the Primary and Secondary IDE Channels.

Guh, help.[/QUOTE]Sounds like it’s stuck in PIO mode. This is an IDE drive? Have you looked in the Device Manager?

They are in UDMA 4 and 5. Not PIO.

[QUOTE=Weaseal;1963618]They are in UDMA 4 and 5. Not PIO.[/QUOTE]Can you put your drive in another pc and see how it performs? Got a friend kind enough to let you install it in their pc?

[QUOTE=Weaseal;1963618]They are in UDMA 4 and 5. Not PIO.[/QUOTE]

It always depends on the source disk, even burned or pressed makes a huge difference!!