I am having a problem installing a DVD drive (or two) under Windows XP Pro.
Situation is as follows:
Installed fresh version of XP Pro using CD-ROM and then later replaced this with a DVD R/RW drive (Cibox DVD Dual 16x double layer). This ran fine for about 2 weeks and then started refusing to play previously OK DVDs giving a format not recognised error.
I swapped drive into another machine and it refused to recognise any CD/DVD placed in drive even though Windows Device Manager didn't report any problems. Window Explorer gave the following message when trying to explore drive 'Please insert a disk into drive D:'. Same thing happened when I swapped drive back to original machine.
I returned drive to the shop and they ran a diagnostic which indicated a read problem - sorry don't have any more information) and was given an Emprex DVD Dual 16x Double Layer as a replacement. I have now found this same problem of not recogniseing when disk inserted with the new drive.
Other symptoms I have noticed:
- attempting to install XP with DVD drive instead of CD drive fails as drive is not located.
- on original machine following error message on reboot before XP startup page appears: 'Searching for Boot Record from CDROM..'
- Green LED flashes when attempting to access drive through Explorer and when a CD/DVD is inserted.
- Occasionally the CD icon appears on mouse pointer for 1/2 second indicating to me autorun is being attempted but again never completes action.
I have tried the following:
- Complete re-install of XP Pro from scratch including SP1 and SP2 (and also without SPs).
- Checking cable by replacing DVD drive with CD-RW (CD-RW works fine).
- Placing new drive in different machine (same result).
- Updating firmware (updated from www.drvupdate.com to A089 version of firmware from A082 but no joy).
- Searching forums and reading FAQs and checking Microsoft support pages but although there are similar problems nothing seems to quite fit.
Apologies if this is a question that has an obvious answer but I am running out of solutions (other than returning this drive as well). I have searched the forums and read the FAQs/ READ ME threads but still can't pinpoint the problem.
Hope you can help.