Dvd drive not recocnised on medionlaptop

hello,
just got a new dvddrive(nec nd 7550 slim line) installed on my medion md 5400
installed and it won´t recognise it. says code 28 error. what means driver missing. i thougth xp would do that all automatic. tried every thing. didn´t work.
anyone out there who knows how i can get it working. maybe it´s my bios what is 2 years old. please help me out. ah i forgott when you want to install drivers manual there are only cd-rom drivers shown, who all don´t work.

I also have problems with a NEC (optiarc dvD RW AD-7540A) dvd burner installed in my medion md5400. It is not recognized by the BIOS and linux says “hdd: optiarc dvD RW AD-7540A, ATAPI UNKNOWN (type 31) drive”. The ATAPI UNKNOWN worries me and indeed it does not seem to work from within linux. Also, somehow it is a secondary slave instead of a secondary master and e.g. booting from CDROM (which should be OS independent) does not work.

Have you found a way to get your DVD drive to work?
Anybody else some ideas?

That wont work.

Such a drive REQUIRES a suitable firmware to be able to work in a Lappy.

The solution to my own question is the switch on the mainboard of the laptop (a Medion MD5400) that decides about master/slave configuration of the CD drive. After switching this switch, the DVD burner (NEC optiarc dvD RW AD-7540A) is now recognized by the BIOS and by the linux kernel and just works.

Another solution may have been the software tool by NEC that can be used to configure the master/slave setting of the DVD burner, but unfortunately that is only available for Windows which I do not have installed.

It shouldn’t be too difficult to write an implementation of this tool for a different OS. However it still requires your drive to be recognized by the OS that will change the setting. But I think this switch was the smarter solution anyway.

[QUOTE=jorism;1741175]The solution to my own question is the switch on the mainboard of the laptop (a Medion MD5400) that decides about master/slave configuration of the CD drive. After switching this switch, the DVD burner (NEC optiarc dvD RW AD-7540A) is now recognized by the BIOS and by the linux kernel and just works.

Another solution may have been the software tool by NEC that can be used to configure the master/slave setting of the DVD burner, but unfortunately that is only available for Windows which I do not have installed.[/QUOTE]

I have a same problem with a medion 5400 and Sony NEC Optiarc
AD 7543A. I want to replace tho original combo drive because somtimes the computer wil not start. If i take the original drive out the computer then te computer works good. The medion repair shop coud not repair this. They said is was the keybord en replacede it. The problem is stil there. I baut the Nec drive en got error 28. It cost me about 100 euro in total and i still get no selution. I read your problem yesterday. Can you mail me with switch i have to turn on or off.

[QUOTE=NTOTL;2130502]I have a same problem with a laptop medion 5400 and Sony NEC Optiarc AD 7543A. I want to replace tho original combo drive because somtimes the computer wil not start. If i take the original drive out the computer then te computer works good. The medion repair shop coud not repair this. They said is was the keybord en replacede it. The problem is stil there. I baut the Nec drive en got error 28. It cost me about 100 euro in total and i still get no selution. I read your problem yesterday. Can you mail me witch switch i have to turn on or off.[/QUOTE]

I solved the problem this way. I got a laptop compaq presario 2500 from a frend. I took the combo drive out of the compaq machine en bild the
NEC Oprtiarc AD 7543A in the Compaq machine en startted the laptop. The dvd drive was installed correctly and i could work with it. I downloaded the program from the NEC website with wich jou can change the master to slave and back. I used the reverse program. After starting the program it run correctly whit no errors. I bild the dvd drive out of the Compaq laptop and bild it in the Medion MD5400 laptop. I startted the Medion laptop en the dvd drive was installed with no problems this time.