DVD-Drive not reading Disks

vbimport

I’m not sure if this is a software of hardware problems, but the DVD-Drive of my Fujitsu Lifebook S-Series refuses to read my discs, although it worked fine last week. :sad:

I’ve already checked the BIOS and confirmed that the DVD drive exists. I’ve tried uninstalling and re-installing the device from Device Manager and the device status is “working properly”. I’ve set the Windows Installer into Automatic and started it. I’ve cleaned the filters from HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318} and it’s still not working.

I’ve tried running Microsoft.Fixit and it said that the “Media in CD/DVD drive is not readable”, but unless all my DVDs suddenly went broken, I don’t think the problem lies with the Disk.

I don’t know what else to do. Please help. :bow:

Use a bootable CD or DVD and try to boot from it.

Yes, chef is on the right track. If the disc drive will boot up from a bootable optical disc, that will tell us if it is still functioning mechanically. You’ll need to set the bios of your laptop to boot from an optical drive first, rather than the hard drive.

You can use a Microsoft operating system disc, or a live Linux cd, or something like the Ultimate Boot CD.

What’s a bootable disc?

A bootable disc is one that will bypass the operating system of the computer and run programs straight from the disc in your optical drive. I gave you three examples of bootable discs: a Microsoft operating system install disc, a Linux live cd or dvd, and the Ultimate Boot CD, which you can find here: http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/

Go to the download page at the Ultimate Boot CD site and download the ISO file of the disc on another computer and burn to a cd. Or download a Linux distro and burn to a dvd. http://www.ubuntu.com/

And again, remember to set the bios to look for an optical drive first in the boot order.

Does mounting the .iso image of the Ultimate Boot CD counts? I only have 1 computer.

No mounting the .iso in a virtual drive won’t work .
This is because you can’t mount it outside of Windows.

Have you checked to make sure you don’t have any software you’ve purchased with a disc ?
Of course many of these are not bootable but some are .
For example a backup program like Acronis or Ghost .
Some antiviruses have a disc like this you can use if you have ever created one.
Some partition managers have one & so on.
Even an old version of Windows installation disc. You don’t have to complete the install just see if you computer will boot from it.
To put it simply the bootable disc is just to see if your drive is still capable of reading a disc . This is done outside of Windows so it either eliminates Window as the problem if you drive doesn’t boot from a bootable disc . Or shows it is a Windows problem if it does.

If not see if ImgBurn will recognize your drive. If it will try writing(burning) the .iso with it.