DVD Drive not detecting CDs

vbimport

My DVD drive (Drive E:) doesn’t read any types of media (DVD, ROM, Music CDs…). When I insert a disk, it spins, and the drive tries to read it for about 30 secs, and then it just stops. If I click on my desktop shortcut, I get prompted to “Please insert a disk into drive E:.” I’ve checked all my connections, updated my Nvidia Graphics card, got all Windows XP updates, used a cleaning disk to clean the lense, installed PowerDVD…" I’m running out of ideas. I’m using a Lite-On JLMS XJ-HD166S, if that helps any. Also, when I right click my desktop shortcut, and select properties, if I click the General tab I get prompted “The name ‘E:’ specified in the Target box is not valid. Make sure the path and file name are correct”, and I’m not too sure if that has anything to do with it, I mean, in the Target tab, if I select Find Target, it takes me to My Computer and to DVD Drive (E:). My CD RW still works…I’m totally clueless…I need help.

Thank You.

Gui

Not sure that can solve your problem, but which IDE drivers do you have installed? Are them standard microsoft or other?

You say that all connections are ok, but are you sure that IDE cable is not damaged? Can you try with another cable?

Another thing is to try your drive on another computer; if can’t read discs maybe drive is damaged.

Hope this can help

-Rolling back the driver didn’t work.
-removing and adding the drive didn’t work. The computer reinstalled it, but it didn’t make the drive work.
-Switching (Swapping) the cables from my CDRW to my DVD didn’t work either. Even after switching the cables, the drives worked as normal, meaning the DVD didn’t work, and the CDRW worked fine.
-Updating my drives didn’t change anything.
The only I haven’t done is tried my drive on another computer. Guess I’m buying a new drive…