DVD Drive No Longer Reads CD

[qanda]This thread is about the Optiarc AD-7543A. Click here to see full specs[/qanda]System
Gateway M-6862 Laptop
Windows Vista 64-bit SP2
Optiarc AD-7563 DVD-RW

Problem
Earlier today, I was burning a music CD using CDburnerXP, a program I have used before. On the last track, though, something went wrong. The drive started making the same noise over and over again, and the burn process never stopped. I tried to cancel the burn, but the program was unresponsive. I was able to end the process, however, but I could not eject the disc. The drive continued to make the noise, so I used the emergency eject pinhole to get the disc out.

I then tried to read an already burned CDR, didn’t work. It made some noises, but never really spun up. I tried a music CD, also didn’t work. DVDs, however, work perfectly.

Possible Solutions
The first thing I tried was cleaning the lense. Didn’t work. I did a virus scan and a scan for a Sony rootkit. Neither found anything.

I’m thinking this is a software issue, as it would probably wouldn’t read DVDs either if the drive was actually failing. So what can I do? Do I uninstall the drive and allow Vista to reinstall it at start up? Uninstall WMP?