DVD drive nightmare

vbimport

I have a Dell 8400 with a DVDROM GDR8163B and DVD±RW Philips DVD8631 which I’ve heard alot of bad about. The Philips would not recognize a dual layer DVD so I went to Dell’s site and got the flash file GD30. I installed Sonic MyDVD and now my computer wont recognize either DVD drive. In device manager it says under driver info…“Windows cannot load the device driver for this hardware. The driver may be corrupted or missing. (Code 39)”.
I’ve tried uninstalling the drives and “plug-n-play” finds new hardware and reinstalls them but device manager says the same thing. I have every intention of getting a NEC drive, but for now does anyone have any suggestions???

Thanks in advance… Punkinball :confused:

Uninstall the Sonic if you don’t need the software, it probably comes with Sonic DLA which can conflict many drives.

Thank you for your reply. Sonic is already uninstalled. During Sonic’s installation it automatically uninstalled Roxio. Why would that affect both drives??? :confused:

You can try doing a System Restore and see if this helps. As far as the software, I’d dump both cuz IMO they both SUCK. You can go to Nero’s site and get a 30 day free trial of Nero 6 to tie you over till you decide whether you wish to purchase it or not. If you search around you can come accross some deals on it for free after rebates which is a great deal.

this will defiently help http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314060/

I think Roxio is great for Audio/MP3 production & producing CD labels/booklets etc, so would recommend keeping it for that alone.

I also use Nero , primarily for DVD burning.

Opinions are very divided on this , try both & make up your own mind.

Just don’t run INCD (Nero) & Drag2Disk/DirectCD (roxio) together.

Fix your problem first though. Phil’s link should do it.

That worked Phil, Fantastic… you guys are great. This site is definitely on my favorites list 'cause…Lord knows…I’ll need you guys again.
:clap:

Cool, glad to here your fixed. But just keep in mind that whatever software you decide to use, DO NOT have Nero and Roxio on your puter. InCD has a conflict with Roxio. So to save another headache and time here, I strongly recommend this. Take it from someone who’s been there, done that. :cool: