DVD Drive missing

vbimport

I have posted on this before but realized in error that my dvd drive is shown in the bios, hence why it spins up and lights up every time i turn the laptop on. here is my previous thread with lots of what ive done to try to fix this http://club.myce.com/f34/dvd-drive-313697/#post2530017
I have a hp dv6815nr, or kn831ua#aba running vista 32 sp2.
but anyways, per hp suggestion, try reinstalling default device drivers by deleting and reinstalling in device manager, i tried deleting ide channel 1(the one without my hard drive on it or the channel controllers) and reinstalling, it did that and dvd still not showing and now instead of saying ide channel, both say ata channel. The other ide channel 0, shows twice, which i dont know if it is ok to delete, it has my hard drive on it. i started to delete some things that have been installed like flash drives that show up under devmanview program. Im just wondering what other steps i can take aside from system restore as it usually only lets me go back 2 weeks which wont help, and i dont have the hp factory restore partition. Any help is appreciated. attached a shot of device manager and the 2 ide channels listed, if others would help let me know and ill post them

Hi,

have you already tried

[ol]
[li]to boot your computer using a bootable DVD and or CD?
[/li][li] a Live Linux system (like Ubuntu) running from a bootable USB drive?
[/li][/ol]this should sort out hardware related issues.

Michael

i dont have any bootable cds but may try to make a bootable flash drive later if i can, not sure if my computer supports that though

How is the optical drive being jumpered?

I think HPs like CableSelect(ed) optical drives…

Oh, I see its an Lappy.
So, safely remove the drive from the dock and put it back in/on, then try again using Devicemanager to make the drive work…

[QUOTE=joshyg;2593086]i dont have any bootable cds but may try to make a bootable flash drive later if i can, not sure if my computer supports that though[/QUOTE]If you have access to a computer with a working CD writer: download a Live Linux like Ubuntu. You can also create a live USB stick (2 GB USB drive needed) from that image.

Michael