DVD drive isnt recognized by XP

vbimport

My ‘regular’ dvd burner is an LG GSA H42N, and its had some trouble reading one particular track on a commercial cd.

So, Im trying to install my DVD rom drive from my old Gateway select 1000 pc. I have an invoice on it from 2003, and its referred to as 'HLDS 16X DVD DRIVE’. Ive installed it in an empty bay next to my GSA H42N drive, and have connected up the 4 pin power cable and the ide ribbon drive cable.

When I turn the pc on however, it pauses and wont boot. It doesnt seem to be able to recognize the drive. Im running XP Pro and my motherboard is a Biostar TForce 550.

Is the architecture of my current PC with the Biostar motherboard incompatible with the DVD rom drive from my old Gateway pc im trying to install? Plug n Play sure doesnt seem to be working with this drive…

Any ideas?

Have you set the jumper on the back of the drive correctly? IDE cables can handle two drives, but the one connected to the end of the cable has to be set as Master and the other connected drive needs to be set to Slave.

The other option is to set both jumpers on the drives to Cable Select.

[QUOTE=Kerry56;2133315]Have you set the jumper on the back of the drive correctly? IDE cables can handle two drives, but the one connected to the end of the cable has to be set as Master and the other connected drive needs to be set to Slave.

The other option is to set both jumpers on the drives to Cable Select.[/QUOTE]

Yup… thats it… its been so long since I worked in the field that i had totally spaced out on the jumper relationship dictating the master/slave relationship on the ide cable.

thanks much for your quick response. Hey, one more thing… this drive has a beige front; the drive I bought with my pc and the rest of the pc is black… Any idea if or where I can get hold of a black plastic bezel or this second dvd rom drive?

[QUOTE=boostm3;2133333]Yup… thats it… its been so long since I worked in the field that i had totally spaced out on the jumper relationship dictating the master/slave relationship on the ide cable.

thanks much for your quick response. Hey, one more thing… this drive has a beige front; the drive I bought with my pc and the rest of the pc is black… Any idea if or where I can get hold of a black plastic bezel or this second dvd rom drive?[/QUOTE]

Yo-

Blue painters tape and flat black spray paint = fastest way-eh