This quirk has plagued me on and off for a year or so. I can use DVDfab for months without issue. Then out of the blue the computer will refuse to read a DVD. The version I am using now is Platinum (with mobile) 184.108.40.206.
Here is a more detailed description of the symptoms:
1. Reads, rips and burns with VSO Main movie-no problem
2. Reads same disk and creates Generic AVI in a profile I have used for years and have created a default setting for a mp3 player- no problem
3. Read same disk again to create another Generic AVI with xvid and audiocopy to play on computer and went to bed.
4. Woke up to find computer shut down. The xvid+audiocopy only got 20% or so before the computer quit (I assume)
5. Started DVDfab to do it again and drive bumps and grinds 4 times then .....nothing.
6. Closed DVDfab, reinsert disk and .......same bump & grind.
7. While DVDfab is still closed, inserted the DVDfab created main movie copy disk into drive and it starts and plays flawlessly.
8. Try to read other commercially produced disks and just the bump and grind.
9. I can read CD's no problem
I have uninstalled the drive and autodetected it back with no success. I have uninstalled and reinstalled the drivers with no success.
The wierd thing is that sometime reinstallation works.....or not and sometimes it just starts to work by itself after a variable amount of time.
I have checked the DMA status and it is still in "multi-word DMA mode 2".
It appears that whenever DVDfab fails (and I can honastly say it is rare for me for this program to fail) then this scenario begins. I know that hardware failure is a possibility but I seriously doubt it and for sake of argument would like to proceed on the assumption that it is not a hardware issue.
I love this program and have the utmost respect for the creators and the support and updates they provide. Not to mention this forum for which I frequently read as regularly as the newspaper.
I am stumped. Has anyone had a similar problem? Any suggestions?