DVD Drive Changing - Prevents Burning

Hello. I bought this product ( HP DVD1170e External 22X Multiformat DVD Writer ) about three weeks ago, and it seems fine when reading CDs and DVDs.

I recently tried to see if I could burn DVD Movie files, but every time I go select a burner, I see that it has changed from the DVD-RAM Drive to a CD-Drive, and it tells me to make sure I have the right disc type. I check in My Computer and every time I eject the disc, it turns back to a DVD-RAM Drive. I’m inserting a Memorex DVD-R 16x 4.7 GB 120min blank disc in when this happens.

I use WinAVI to convert my files to the correct DVD format and I try to use WinAVI as well to burn them onto the disc, but it tells me to check if I have the right disc type. Nero Essentials 8 also came with the HP DVD1170e, so I tried using that (Nero StartSmart Essentials), but when I select the drive, it grays out the Burn option.

I’ve searched for problems like these and I’ve found a few topics, but any solutions posted in them doesn’t seem to fix my problem or I’m doing it completely wrong. Could someone possibly help me or direct me towards another place with easy instructions?

I’m not sure how to put up more information about my drives or computer (noob), so I’m sorry if there’s information lacking from this. x.x

I see that it has changed from the DVD-RAM Drive to a CD-Drive… I check in My Computer and every time I eject the disc, it turns back to a DVD-RAM Drive.

That’s normal Windows behavior, both my fully functional internals do the same thing.

I’d first look in Device Manager and check your USB, you want your burner hooked to an ‘Enhanced’ (USB 2) port.

Thanks for the response.

Ah, okay, so it’s not broken, so that’s a good thing. xP
I opened up Device Manager and checked under Universal Serial Bus Controllers and I found this list. I don’t really understand which is the Enhanced USB 2 Port or where it would be x.x

General Purpose USB Hub
Intel® 82801EB USB Universal Host Controller - 24D2
Intel® 82801EB USB Universal Host Controller - 24D4
Intel® 82801EB USB Universal Host Controller - 24DE
Intel® 82801EB USB2 Enhanced Host Controller - 24DD
USB Mass Storage Device
USB Root Hub
USB Root Hub
USB Root Hub
USB Root Hub
USBFast Storage Device
Zoom USB Network Interface

I’m guessing the ‘Intel® 82801EB USB2 Enhanced Host Controller - 24DD’ is it, but I don’t really understand if it’s already occupied and where would it be? Is there a way for me to tell these things?

Oh, and I looked under my DVD/CD-ROM Drives to check, and every time I hook up my DVD Writer, it seems to show the burner as “HL-DT-ST CD-ROM GCR-8483B” rather than the “HP DVD Writer 1170d USB Device” that shows up when I plug it in.

Sorry, I’m pretty bad at these things x.x