DVD doesn't fit

vbimport

Using DVD Shrink 3.2 to burn backup copy of “The Office 1st Season”. Total file is 4,714mb. Menus is 3mb, Main Movie is 4,629, and Extras is 80mb. How do I get this onto one DVD? If I drop the Audio from the Main Movie it fits, but then I won’t hear anything, right?

VERY non-tech so if anyone can baby-step me thru this, it would be MUCH appreciated.

Have a look here:
http://www.dvdshrink.info/guides.php
I think you will find a guide that helps you.

Good luck.

Did you compress the dvd with dvdshrink? If not open it in shrink and compress to the desired size. From what you stated you won’t need much compression.

Just compress it as much as you can - like you’ve already stated is possible - but don’t burn the files. Then open those files again with Shrink and it will treat it as though it’s an uncompressed DVD, allowing you to compres the already compressed files down to a small enough size. Very simple.

However for DVDs that need to be compressed a lot like this I recommend you look into the DVD Rebuilder + QuEnc method. The quality of your finished DVD in Shrink is going to be absolutely horrendous.

Made a mistake in what I said. I actually copy the files with DVD Decrypter THEN I use Shrink to burn them. So NOW how do I make this work?

DVD Shrink is not directly burning anything, it just prepares big ISO file and calls another program to do the burning.

You are not clear on what you are doing with the size problem. Anyway, make sure that the “target DVD Size” in Edit/preferences of DVD Shrink is smaller than DVD blank capacity. Also, make sure there is no RED color on the target size bar on the main window, it should be all green.

You are not clear on what you are doing with the size problem.
***I know. Let’s try again. I Rip with DVD Decoder, Backup with DVD Shrink, then burn with DVD Decoder.

Anyway, make sure that the “target DVD Size” in Edit/preferences of DVD Shrink is smaller than DVD blank capacity.
***It is. “Target DVD Size” is 4464 and DVD blank Cap. is 4.7GB.

Also, make sure there is no RED color on the target size bar on the main window, it should be all green.
***There IS red. I’m over the limit by 250. THAT’S my question. How do I make it fit?

I explained how to make it fit in my post. This is quite a common problem people have and is very simple to work around.

Just compress it as much as you can - like you’ve already stated is possible - but don’t burn the files.
***When I open DVD Shrink, the program already compressed the files as far as possible. The only difference I can make is unchecking Audio options. As stated in MY original post, if I drop the Audio from the Main Movie it fits but then I won’t hear anything.

Then open those files again with Shrink and it will treat it as though it’s an uncompressed DVD, allowing you to compres the already compressed files down to a small enough size.
***So are you saying to close DVD Shrink THEN open it again? Because I’ve done this and EVERYTHING was exactly the same.

Very simple.
***“Very simple” IF you have 1/2 a brain in your head which I sadly don’t. :confused:

I recommend you look into the DVD Rebuilder + QuEnc method.
***If you knew how long it took me to figure out the Decrypter/Shrink combo (which is pretty easy) you’d know there’s NO WAY this can happen.

Rip it with DvdDecrypter, MenuShrink the dvddecrypter files and then if still needed run DvdShrink.
Menu Shrink makes the menus still frame with a choice of audio or not. It works nice, and you can try multiple thing and do a restore and try again.
Users have reported saving up to 1gb of space just shrinking the menus. See this link:

http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?t=133212&highlight=menushrink

Also there is a great guide written by cynthia on 3-28-05 available at
http://forum.digital-digest.com/showthread.php?threadid=49051

There are many tools/options available for getting a DVD9 to fit on a DVD5, even splitting if you want to keep everything.

That’s fine, that’s exactly what I meant you should do, just transcode the DVD anyway even though it’s still going to be too big. Leave the audio as it is.

What files did you open? The original files from Decrypter? What I mean is you should open the files that DVD Shrink has just outputted and shrunk and then shrink them again.

To All,

WORKED! Thanks for the help.

Try this for experiments. In DVD Shrink set Preferences size to Custom 4430MB. Make sure that you select AUTO compression and the target size bar is only green and no red at all. Do BACKUP, but do not burn, just select “make ISO”. Then get DVD Decrypter and select File/ISO/write and have a look at what size the ISO is, say in terms of sectors, and what is the blank space of the media. You do not need to burn, this was just a test …

Nero uses 4459 MB as a target for DVD-5. Maybe 4464 is too much?

I see what the initial poster’s problem was.
I have had no problem using dvd decrypter and dvd shrink to backup all my files, getting rid of menu extras etc to optimize the compression, but I have this same DVD that I wish to back up (the office season 1 disk 1). When DVD decrypter successfully rips it, it comments on possible dummy files.
After when using all automatic shrinking and even getting rid of all the extras the dvd shrink incorrectly shrinks the disk down to a size that is too large (exactly the size of the audio track too large). This must be because of some dummy file, but I am too much of a dummy to figure it out.

Rather than re-encoding, or shrinking twice over the original iso is there another work around for this seemingly new copy protection (I have not encountered it on all my other dvds I have backed up in the last 2 years)

Thanks in advance

I don’t think it is because of a dummy file or that it’s a new type of copy-protection. Most likely just the same issue as the first poster, the warnings on Decrypter are just co-incidental (I get them all the time when making backups, it’s pretty common when dealling with ARccOS protected discs). DVDs of television episodes often have filesizes that are too large to use DVD Shrink with.

Yes, I think you are right Mr. Horse. I just realized that in the last 2 years, this is the first time I have tried to backup a copy of my dvd series rather than a movie.

Thanks for clarifying things

Edit (Sorry to revive an old thread but somehow I got only the first post while searching the web on this topic. Didn’t see the replies.)