DVD DL decisions - 2.4 v 8x? -R v +R?

vbimport

Okay -What to entrust with my collections of TV series?

I’m leaning toward the 8x lgihtscribe because I Looooove neat labels, but wanted to check here first for a heads up on anything of which I should be aware. I have already learned the inherent lessons in using quality blanks (though mostly through the percentage of successful burns on the front end rather than data loss on the back, thank goodness) and Verbatim is still the way to go as far as DL media, yes? Is there any reason to go for 2.4x over 8x? Is the newer stuff as reliable or am I still seeking out older stock 2.4 from Singapore?

And RE: -R DL? I have seen that they still only make this avail in 3packs and at much more expensive than +R DL! Is there any reason I should buy -R DL instead? Are there still compatibility issues with the +R format and standalone players?

Or is it not even worth the worry about squishing dvd9 content onto dvd5 as far as quality goes?

And how can I possibly still be this uncertain after all the info I’ve researched over the years!! Do they make it this confusing on PURPOSE!?

If it makes a difference - both burners are IDE Lightsribe DVDRW’s: 18x ASUS and 20x Optiarc…

There is nothing wrong with Verbatim 8x DL disks if your burners have support for them in their firmware, and your drives are new enough not to worry about that issue. Singapore made disks are still preferred by most, though it is hard to order online and know exactly which type you are going to get.

I wouldn’t consider -R DL at all unless you are trying to record tv shows in Japan with a dvd recorder.

+R DL disks are automatically bitset by modern burners to appear to be DVDRom disks, and thus have better compatibility with stand alone players.

If you want to compress the movies to fit onto DVD-5 with the highest possible quality retained, you should look into a program called DVDRebuilder. There is a free version available, and using the HCenc encoder that is included, you’ll get very good results. The only downside is that it takes longer to re-encode rather than to do straight backups or using a transcoder like DVDShrink.

Oh, by the way, I just noticed the first line of your post. For tv series, I very much prefer to burn to DL disks rather than compress them. In my experience they seem to use a rather low bitrate on many tv series when they do the original disk, and cram in a lot of material. Compressing them more to fit onto a DVD-5 doesn’t often meet my standards for video quality.

SCORE!!

Thanks! That was EXTREMEMLY helpful info! That whole -R thing was bugging me as it hasn’t really been addressed as a DL issue. And it never occured to me that any of the 8x hesitations would be due to older hardware…

So if nobody has any red flags to wave I’ll go with the verby 8x lightscribes!!

Cool!:cool:

(sigh) man I love the internet…