DVD disc is acknowledged but can't view contents after burning, other discs work fine though!

[qanda]This thread is about the Toshiba Equium A300D-16C. Click here to see full specs[/qanda]Hi I’ve used this forum before to find answers to my laptop problems (because I don’t know anything about them) but I’ve never asked a question before.
I copied a movie file onto a DVD+R disc that I already had some stuff on, I ejected the disc and a message said the disc was being formatted before ejecting it. But now it won’t work. The disc is recognised but I can’t view the contents. The disk(?) and driver(?) are working fine but when I check the ‘volume’ for errors it says Windows cannot access the disk! I can’t quite remember but I think Windows Explorer may have crashed at some point during or after ejecting the disc. I used another blank DVD+R disc to copy over some other movie files after this and it works fine and other DVD+Rs work fine, just not this one.
I could really use some help because I really don’t know anything about what I’m doing:confused:
p.s. I have vista, my disk driver is TOSHIBA MK2552GSX ATA Device and my DVD/CD-ROM drive is PIONEER DVD-RW DVRTD08A ATA Device

Hello meg1986, welcome to the forum :slight_smile:

Looks like you used multi-session burning (or some kind of packet-writing software, such as Roxio Drag-to-Disc or Nero InCD) to burn the disc so you could add files at a later time. Or maybe Vista’s built-in DVD burning function, which also allows multi-session IIRC.

Maybe try accessing the disc with whatever software you used.

Failing that, it could be just a simple disc quality problem (i.e. bad media) - can you download and run DVDIdentifier and give us the MID (or Manufacturer) info for the problem disc?

If bad quality media is the problem, it could be that another drive will read the disc - perhaps see if a friend can let you read the disc on one of their PCs/drives.

As for multi-session and packet-writing, many here, including myself, won’t use either as they seem to cause more problems than they’re worth :wink:

Edit: another thought - maybe try finalising the disc? As I said, I don’t use multi-session, so I’ve no idea if finalising is required or not, but it’s worth a go. This will mean no more can be added to the disc, though.