A couple of weeks ago, I tested these disks again. They have never been played, and they’ve been kept in standard DVD storage cases in a cool dry cupboard, so no extremes of temperature, no light of any kind getting to the media, and guess what? All of the Ritek GO5 disks had PIE levels exceeding 4000 and PIF’s reaching 45+. Needless to say, none of the disks are any good.
One thing to keep in mind is the role certain cabinets or storage situations could possibly play in the early deterioration of the dye layer. If chemicals can leach from the adhesive of a label into a disc’s dye layer, it would seem possible certain airborne vapors could do the same.
For instance, paper used for case inserts often are acidic, and could be off-gassing potentially harmful (to DVDR’s) vapors. How about the case itself – especially cheap ones? Plastic containers are known to leach chemicals (plastimers I belive) into food and beverages, even the ones approved for such use. Imagine what these chemicals in a closed DVD case could do to a to a disc…
Wood cabinets can also be a concern, depending the age and constrution materials. Older cabinets made of solid wood are likely fine as long as there are no traces of reactive substances possible spilled on them in the past, (for example - kitchen cabinets could have previously stored cleaning solutions or been sprayed with insecticides). The newer cabinets constructed of particle board – with or without a real wood veneer covering – are notorious for off-gassing large amounts of harmful vapors (especially formaldehyde) for the first 5-10 years. Where I live it is enough to add a taste to certain open foods (potatos, veggies) stored in such a cabinet. It is not out of the question that such vapors could be harmful to DVD discs – directly or in certain combinations of other local vapors.
Something to think about.