DVD Degredation

I have two dVds of Elton John in concert, that I bought from Amazon.com about a year ago. I have played both of these dvds many many times (about once a week, and often times more than that for the last year).

Recently, within the last two months, I notice that these dvds seem to be degrading:( On one of the dvds, during part of one particular song performance, the picture turns from color to black and white, then comes back into color, only to go back to black and white again. This never used to happen.
Then, when I play it the following week, it does not do that, and the dvd appears to be fine, only to have it fade from color to black and white and back again the following week:sad:

On my other dvd, the color has begun to blur, so that the picture looks really fuzzy and blurry at some parts of the performance, but not during the entire disk. Later in the performance, the color turns so that EJs hands go from flesh colored, to sunburnt colored, to jaundiced looking. This also never used to happen until about a couple months ago. And it will do it one week, then not the following week, and then it will do it again the following week after that:sad:

Are my dvds degrading from playing them so many times? Do I need to buy new ones? I had previously been under the impression that dvds lasted a lifetime.

I keep all my dvds in their cases, and standing up on shelves (like books) in my aimoire (sp), and I even took all the leaflets out of the cases, as I had read somewhere that those could be damaging as well. The temp where they are is moderate, neither cold nor hot.

I admit that I play these two dvds way more than any other dvds that I have…but when I have played some of my other dvds (including today) those ones appear to be fine. It is just these two that appear to be going bad :frowning:

Help!

Lori

Welcome to CD Freaks :slight_smile:

To me, it seems like the TV is being affected by the DVD player’s Macrovision copy protection. It’s quite likely that the other DVDs you tried are not using Macrovision copy protection.

Did you change around any cables recently, add/change a set top box or change the TV? Generally the DVD player must be connected directly to the TV and no video cable should go between the DVD player and a VCR, as the Macrovision copy protection is designed to interfere with VCRs to prevent recording. A DVD player connected to a VCR will usually result in this interference when a Macrovision protected disc is played back.

Generally when a DVD starts giving problems (e.g. scratched, fingerprints, etc.), it will cause the picture to stutter or break up randomly, like a weak digital TV broadcast.

If you have another TV, it’s worth trying the DVD player with that TV, in case the TV you’re using has for some reason started getting sensitive to the DVD’s copy protection.

Ah Ha! You may have pinpointed the exact problem:)
Recently, analog TV has been completely replaced by digital TV…
Two or three months ago I bought the needed converter box, and antennae (sp) to make the switch to digital. A friend of mine got behind my amoire (sp) and connected it all together (unhooking and rehooking everything else that was already connected to my TV beforehand).

And now that I think about it, it is around the same time, thereafter, that the color on my two beloved Elton John dvds started screwing up.

I will show my friend your reply to my email, and have him check out and fix these things. And soon, I hope, I will be back to watching EJ and his magnificient performances with the color the way it is supposed to be:clap:

Thank you so much for your help; you’re a genius!
:bigsmile:

[QUOTE=Seán;2295521]Welcome to CD Freaks :slight_smile:

To me, it seems like the TV is being affected by the DVD player’s Macrovision copy protection. It’s quite likely that the other DVDs you tried are not using Macrovision copy protection.

Did you change around any cables recently, add/change a set top box or change the TV? Generally the DVD player must be connected directly to the TV and no video cable should go between the DVD player and a VCR, as the Macrovision copy protection is designed to interfere with VCRs to prevent recording. A DVD player connected to a VCR will usually result in this interference when a Macrovision protected disc is played back.

Generally when a DVD starts giving problems (e.g. scratched, fingerprints, etc.), it will cause the picture to stutter or break up randomly, like a weak digital TV broadcast.

If you have another TV, it’s worth trying the DVD player with that TV, in case the TV you’re using has for some reason started getting sensitive to the DVD’s copy protection.[/QUOTE]
Hi Sean,
Please look at the post that I made under yours, in reference to my original question about DVD degredation. I didn’t realize that I could contact you this way, and so I had contacted you by writing an email underneath yours.

Thank you so much,

Lori